When did Rowan become a girls' name?

[name]Do[/name] I have [name]Brooke[/name] Shields to blame for this? Or was it a trend. I love the name [name]Owen[/name], but it was recently used by a (not so close but maybe close enough) relative. I am thinking of [name]Rowan[/name] as an alternative and lately I love it! (DH is still partial to [name]Owen[/name]).

I posted here before and got some GREAT suggestions that we hadn’t considered (e.g., [name]Griffin[/name]!) but [name]Rowan[/name] is sticky lately. Any thoughts?

I love the name [name]Rowan[/name]. but much prefer for a boy…

I second that.

I think since it’s the name of a tree, in addition to an Irish boy’s name, it’s acceptable for girls. I really hate the trend of using surnames or boy’s names on girls, but I think [name]Rowan[/name] is okay, since it’s a nature name. It’s one of the only true unisex names out there.

I like it best for a boy too. I had never heard it as a girls name until she used it for her daughter.

I know, what’s up with that?!

A friend of ours named her daughter [name]Rowan[/name] last year - we were all like “I thought that was a boys name?”.

She pronounces it “rOW-an” though, as opposed to rOWE-in (like owe as in ouch) that I’m familiar with for this name on boys and men.

I second that.[/quote]

Third that!

I’ve only ever heard this pronounced rowe-an like to row a boat or rhyming with [name]Owen[/name] not like in ouch or wow. Is this a regional thing? I’m in the US

Yeah, I only know it as rhyming with [name]Owen[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t like the other pronounciation suggested!

I’m in [name]Scotland[/name] and all the [name]Rowan[/name]'s I’ve ever known have been from the UK or Australia. My personal preference however is to rhyme it with [name]Owen[/name], rather than ‘wow’.