When do babies stop wearing baby grows 😄

The post from the other day made me (a non-parent) curious to know when babies stop wearing baby grows and start wearing proper 2 piece pyjamas.

I intentionally try to switch everything over from one piece to two and stop buying any one piece clothes around 2ish when they start potty training. Though around 1 my girls usually start wearing some 2 piece clothing anyway.

3 Likes

I started from about 15 months due to potty training

1 Like

I think it mainly depends on (1) potty training, (2) temperature of room, and (3) any skin factors.

Our bedrooms are in the basement, so it’s chilly all year round. One piece jammies keep her feet warm, but allow them to breathe, in a way that socks don’t.

And my daughter is lathered in aquaphor after every evening bath, due to her skin needing a lot of moisture to avoid using steroid creams :woozy_face: If she could lift her top, she’d be playing with the aquaphor, so I have to keep her zipped up!

So I think we’ll be going past 2 years with the one piece jammies!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids are 7, 5, 3 and 4 mo…. We have never done baby gowns for them. I personally find them a hassle type of clothing item. Additionally, the majority of the time what my kids wear to bed wouldn’t be considered “designated pajama wear.”

1 Like

Generally I prefer putting them in one piece clothes for sleeping as long as possible, except when it’s warm. It usually doesn’t get very hot where we live, except for maybe a couple of weeks a year, so I switch to another kind of pajamas when they start potty training.

It also depends on the child though. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest didn’t mind either way, and the twins started to find the one piece clothing a bit annoying when they were about ready to potty train, so we’d have switched then anyway.
B. has some sensory issues and very much preferred the baby grows because they made him feel more comfortable and safe, I guess. When we put him in a t-shirt and pajamas he kept pulling it because it didn’t stay in place when he was sleeping.

1 Like

One of my babes has worn two piece jammies since around 9 months. Another is still in onesies at 15 months. One preferred footie jammies until she was about 5 years old, much of the time. Depends!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] twins started wearing 2 pieces around a year. They had a handful one onesie PJs with feet the winter they were 1, but my kids have the longest legs ever and wrangling those legs into feeties became like trying to wrestle an Alligator pretty quickly.

They are 2 and exclusively wear 2 pieces now and are starting to potty training.

1 Like

Mine switched over when he was just over a year old, he’d been bought some for his birthday and had outgrown the babygrows around the same time so it made sense to just wear what we had. We’d probably have waited a few more months until the summer ideally rather than do the switch in the winter but as he was still in a sleep bag at the time it didn’t really make much difference in how he slept.

1 Like

I have a few full cover zip pj suits for my almost three year old and sometimes it is just the perfect snuggly suit for them to wear…we are about to start potty training…i have found full on coverall pjs fit oddly. The torso or leg part, one or the other is always too long or short. I see the appeal, you just zip and they are fully dressed how easy right? I think that second leg you have to pull out for a nappy change is awkward too. Instead i like using a shirt/singlet that snaps at the crotch along with a top and bottom separates. The snapped layer keeps the tummy warm and covered where the shirt might ride up when you lift them up and i find the fit of separate top and bottoms means their clothes fit better…so a really long way of saying it is possible to be out of a one piece pj suit when baby is born, however i found two pieces male sense to use when baby was around three months and was getting strong enough to somewhat sit assisited on my lap and a shirt that rode up could be easily readjusted

1 Like