When Initials Spell Words...

Week 34 and still nameless. I have been really liking the name [name]Hugh[/name], I love the meaning, that it is uncommon, but still a genuine name and somewhat familiar. Here’s the issue: [name]Baby[/name] Boy’s middle name MUST honor my husband’s grandfather, [name]Abraham[/name].
We’ve pretty much settled on the middle name [name]Abram[/name], but I’ve used [name]Bram[/name] with some combos where A middle names would make words. [name]Bram[/name] just doesn’t seem to work with [name]Hugh[/name], thus our baby [name]Hugh[/name] would have the initials HAG ([name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abram[/name] Greenberg). Would this be enough to keep you from using this name?

Other names I love:
[name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abram[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Abram[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bram[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Abram[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Bram[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] [name]Abram[/name]

Big sister is named [name]Jillian[/name]. Which name do you like best? I do love things that are monogramed, esp for little boys, so this does scare me.

What I love most about [name]Hugh[/name] is that it is so much less common than the others, so I am less fearful it will sound very dated later on compared to our other choices which are much more popular.

Humm… HAG isn’t the most attractive, but unless you plan on getting one of those backpacks with the initials or something like that, I don’t think it would be too much of a problem. It’s really your choice to put initials on everything. And I don’t think school use initials in anything really, if so, normally just first and last. However I really like [name]Owen[/name] [name]Abram[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Abram[/name]! [name]Owen[/name] is so classic with such a masculine, strong, happy feel. It’s one of my new favorite boys names. And [name]Theodore[/name] has always been a favorite of mine! [name]Theodore[/name] is timeless, fine and strapping for any boy! And [name]Theo[/name] is adorable. Anyway, HAG isn’t so much of a problem, it’s not a curse word, just a witch. Okay, I hope I helped! Good luck!

I would go with [name]Henry[/name] [name]Bram[/name], it matches Greenberg well, and it flows with his sister’s name, [name]Jillian[/name]. Yes, it would be a sin for your child to be [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abram[/name] Greenberg. Put yourself in the child’s shoes. He would constantly be called Hag instead of [name]Hugh[/name], and the other kids would always make fun of him!

I’m [name]Maddie[/name]. I’m new to Nameberry, but so far I love it! I am engaged, and I am 20. I am pregnant, with a baby who’s supposed to arrive on [name]July[/name] 19th, 2012!!! I live in a fair sized home, with my boyfriend, [name]Mason[/name]. Needs ideas for baby names, and which products are your favorite!! :slight_smile:

[name]Hugh[/name] is stunning - love it. HAG isn’t great… But I grew up with the initials EGG and yes I was teased but I survived! I think HAG would be a lot worse for a girl but still best avoided if possible.

[name]How[/name] about adding a second middle name to combat the initial thing? eg. [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abraham[/name] [name]John[/name] Greenburg (think this is lovely and very distinguished btw), [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abram[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Greenburg etc.

Or use a variant of [name]Abraham[/name]?
[name]Baram/name “son of the nation” - [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Baram[/name] Greenburg or [name]Hugh[/name] Barami Greenburg could be quite nice as [name]Abraham[/name] means “father of many nations”
[name]Ebrahim[/name] - same name slightly different spelling? [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Ebrahim[/name] Greenburg
[name]Ibrahim[/name]

Does your hub’s grandfather have a middle name - could you use that instead?

[name]Hope[/name] thats helpful

I don’t mind when initials spell positive words (like [name]ACE[/name]) or inoffensive words (MPH, EKG), but anything as outright negative as HAG earns an immediate rejection from me, sorry. If I were you, I’d pass on [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Abram[/name].

With [name]Jillian[/name], I like [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Bram[/name]/[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Abram[/name] best, but I love [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] too.

you seem to really like [name]Bram[/name]. What about [name]Bram[/name] as the first name? [name]Bram[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] sounds great to me.

I would avoid any negative words - sorry. I second the idea for a second middle, what about one from your side to round it out? Would your maiden name suit?