When the name you love doesn't quite fit

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughters are [name_f]Elaina[/name_f], [name_f]Mahala[/name_f], [name_f]Julianna[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and the name I love for another girl is [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] spelled Cheridan because the meaning is more significant to us. I feel like this name is sort of out of place with my other girls. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband loves [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I was so committed to having my girls names end in a. I am surprised by how appealing I find Cheridan. [name_f]My[/name_f] other girls all have alliterated first names with another middle name and these are the ones that we’ve come up with so far… other suggestions welcome or help building Cheridan into a name that fits (it could be a middle name).
Cheridan [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] (both have the sh sound)
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Jordana[/name_f] Josphine

1 Like

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] with the other siblings, but Cheridan is beautiful as well and if it feels like the best choice you should go for it!

1 Like

What about [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] Cheridan? It doesn’t have the alliteration but it would still have the shared initial. Otherwise I like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] best.

2 Likes

I think it’s way more important to make sure you pick the name you love most regardless of how it sounds with your other kids. They are individuals first and foremost, and in their lives 99% of the time their name won’t be conjoined with their siblings’.

1 Like

Is [name_f]Cherida[/name_f] an option?

1 Like

I totally understand this dilemma!painting yourself into a corner…

I have it in other ways if our 6th is a girl. I may have to give up some of my “matchy but not” vibe that’s worked so well in the past, to get the name that fits us all best.

Like someone said earlier, I would definitely go with the name that has the most significance to you all, if you both agree on it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it brings mental agony at messing up the symmetry. At least, that’s what I’m preaching to myself. :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

I have two daughter’s whose names end in AH (Jaylah & Leah) & their middle names end in LE (Nicole & Isabelle). I was looking for names that i loved that ended in [name_m]Ah[/name_m] & [name_m]Le[/name_m] , but i didn’t seem to like none. So I switched it up and I’m naming my babygirl [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Kassandra[/name_f]. Honestly, just go with what you love !

1 Like

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]. :heartpulse:

Agree with @Sadie307 I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] Cheridan would be nice. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] would be my second pick.

2 Likes

I think Cheridan fits in perfect with your daugther’s names, just not the way you’re thinking of it, you’re thinking as in It doesn’t ending in an -a so it doesn’t fit. I’m think it fits in perfectly with the national vibe ,y’all have going (maybe it’s a purposeful thing, maybe it’s not… anyway), [name_f]Mahala[/name_f] & [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] feel international to me & I could see [name_f]Julianna[/name_f] having that same argument if you wanted it, too. Cheridan feels international as well, so it fits in that way.

As for the middles, I vote Cheridan [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or Cheridan [name_f]Cathleen[/name_f], if those are options.

1 Like

Your girls’ names do go together well. [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] and even more so Cheridan don’t as you know. As a teacher for over thirty years, I will admit if I saw the name Cheridan on a class roster, I would groan. I would also pronounce it [name_f]Cherry[/name_f] [name_m]Dan[/name_m]. I know the meaning is huge for you, but I can’t imagine being pleased that I was Cheridan and my sisters all had nice -a ending girls’ names. I would go for a middle with it.

Cheridan is kind of pretty and somehow, the ch- softens it?

Cheridan [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] came to mind, but I do like Corderlia Cheridan as an option as others have suggested!

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] though!!

A few ideas:

[name_f]Chiara[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotta[/name_f] Cheridan
[name_f]Carina[/name_f] [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Shayna[/name_f] Cheridan
[name_f]Shona[/name_f] Cheridan
[name_f]Melina[/name_f] [name_u]Madigan[/name_u]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Kerrigan[/name_u]

No I really like [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] but not other variations. I just wanted to spell it with a Cheridan because the names meaning is richer.

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] is really lovely. I wouldn’t have thought of this one.

1 Like

I think it’s always a great call to use the name you love rather than the name you think “goes best” with the rest. It’s tougher in practice, I’m sure, but significance of and love for a name are, in the end, the most lovely things!

These are all my reservations in one summary. I usually hate contrived spellings too. I am feeling adrift with this name because I feel as though I used all my favorites on the sisters. The only reason I would change the spelling is because [name_f]Cher[/name_f] means beloved. Each of my girls have a name that means love and finding another is challenging. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is my other thought as it does mean “heart” but it doesn’t have the “this is the one factor” that I felt so strongly with my other children.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is much, much prettier and fits in better with your other daughters.

Go with what you love! They’re going to have seperate lives in the future, and non-matchy names aren’t going to bother them or anyone else.
X🍃