When the surname sounds like a noun (honor middles)

[Not pregnant, just brainstorming!]
My grandmother’s name was Barbara, and I would love to honor her no matter the gender of the baby. She loved her name, so I might just use Barbara or Barra for a girl. There are some male equivalents I can brainstorm for Barbara (Babar, Babson etc.) but I don’t feel connected to them, so I would rather pick a name based on her personality and likes.

The issue I am having is that the last name will sound phonetically like Shirts (on paper it will look german), so I am finding it a little odd with some word names, and for some reason I am thinking of a lot of S names that are too much of a tongue twister with Shirts.

Some middles I have thought about:

• Bridge(r)
  • Story
  • Ocean
  • Sunrise
  • Sunshine
  • Sunny
  • Shel
  • Coral
  • Daisy
  • Silverdollar

All of the above have sentimental meaning. I’m looking for more ideas.

Since you didn’t know her, here is a brief description for inspiration: Barbara was a Florida granny. She loved the beach, ocean, seashells, and watching the sunsets. She loved colors (favorite was yellow) gems, and birthstones; she had crystals hanging in the windows that made rainbows in the house. She forbade us from wearing black to her funeral, bright happy colors only. She taught us many card games and was a master at Bridge. She was a great storyteller and most of my earliest memories are the stories she told. She loved musicals like Singing in the Rain and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. She was a teacher, strict, stubborn, and opinionated, if she was unhappy with you, you’d know it. But she very open with her love, so generous and open to new ideas. She helped many delinquents find their way. She travelled all around the world on cruises. She grew up in the great depression era and took care of her sisters from a young age.

First names I like for girls: Sylvie/a, Vera, Gwen/Guinevere

First names I like for boys: Ronan, Ian, Rory

Thank you so much!!!

2 Likes

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_m]Ocean[/name_m] :ocean:

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_m]Shel[/name_m]
[name_m]Rory[/name_m] [name_m]Shel[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about the flow between the middle and the last name, especially if the spelling is different. Middles are really so rarely mentioned, and honour trumps flow for me anyway, so I’d go ahead and use [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] Shirts or whatever you choose, and not think any more about it beyond how happy it makes you feel to honour your lovely grandma.

2 Likes

That’s definitely true!

The only times I can remember my middle name being used publicly is during things like graduation ceremonies where the whole name is read to a very large audience. So if it can flow, that would just be an added benefit. But I won’t use something random just for the flow of it.

1 Like

Maybe…

[name_f]Marlowe[/name_f] (driftwood)
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] (happy)
[name_f]Morgan[/name_f] (sea circle)
[name_m]Dylan[/name_m] (towards the tide)
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] (traveller/wanderer)
[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] (bold journey)
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] (from chitty chitty bang bang)
[name_m]Gene[/name_m] (as in [name_m]Gene[/name_m] Kelly)
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] (from Singing in the Rain)
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Bowie[/name_m] (means yellow)
[name_m]Xanthos[/name_m] (means yellow)
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (sea name)
[name_f]Journey[/name_f]

1 Like

I did not know the meanings of [name_m]Bowie[/name_m] or [name_m]Xanthos[/name_m]. Those are fun!
She would have loved [name_m]Gene[/name_m] and [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] haha. [name_m]Gene[/name_m] is so rare now, but I don’t think I can do with shirts.
[name_f]Journey[/name_f] is so so cute!

I love them. Thank you!

1 Like

You’re list is so interesting and captivating! I love [name_f]Story[/name_f], [name_m]Ocean[/name_m], [name_m]Sunrise[/name_m], [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], [name_f]Sunny[/name_f], [name_f]Coral[/name_f] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. The first names on your list are also very beautiful.

Similar names to [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]: [name_f]Barbie[/name_f], [name_f]Ambar[/name_f], [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_f]Bartolomea[/name_f]

Names starting or ending in -ara: [name_f]Amara[/name_f], [name_f]Araceli[/name_f], [name_f]Ainara[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Araminta[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Chiara[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_f]Dara[/name_f], [name_f]Elara[/name_f], [name_f]Iara[/name_f], [name_f]Kiara[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Maiara[/name_f] (means great-grandmother), [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] or [name_f]Nayara[/name_f], [name_f]Samara[/name_f], [name_f]Sara[/name_f], Stelara, [name_f]Tamara[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Tiara[/name_f], [name_f]Xiomara[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Zara[/name_f]

[name_f]Florida[/name_f] or similar names: [name_f]Aida[/name_f], [name_m]Fiore[/name_m], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Flor[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Florinda[/name_f], [name_f]Flower[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Lori[/name_f]

Names with similar meanings to [name_f]Florida[/name_f]: Anfisa, [name_f]Anthea[/name_f], [name_f]Blossom[/name_f], [name_f]Bluma[/name_f], [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Eirlys[/name_f], [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f], [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

[name_f]Aura[/name_f] (using some letters from Barbara; a word names that reminds me of the sky and different colors)

[name_f]Saga[/name_f] - similar to [name_f]Story[/name_f], because she loved to tell stories

[name_f]Honor[/name_f] or [name_f]Honora[/name_f] - because you’re daughter will [name_f]Honor[/name_f] her and her heritage

[name_m]Beach[/name_m] related names - [name_f]Breeze[/name_f], [name_f]Coralia[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Darya[/name_f], [name_f]Derya[/name_f], [name_f]Doris[/name_f], [name_f]Gal[/name_f], [name_f]Gali[/name_f], [name_f]Galia[/name_f], [name_m]Kai[/name_m], [name_f]Mar[/name_f], [name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_f]Maris[/name_f], [name_f]Maristela[/name_f], [name_f]Marley[/name_f], [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Moana[/name_f], [name_f]Morgan[/name_f], [name_f]Muriel[/name_f], [name_f]Naia[/name_f], [name_f]Navy[/name_f], [name_f]Nereida[/name_f], [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f], [name_f]Oceana[/name_f], [name_f]Ondina[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_m]Sandy[/name_m], [name_f]Sereia[/name_f], [name_m]Shell[/name_m], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Thalassa[/name_f]

Names with meanings associated to yellow or gold - [name_f]Amber[/name_f], [name_f]Aurea[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Aureliana[/name_f], [name_f]Cressida[/name_f], [name_m]Dior[/name_m], [name_f]Flavia[/name_f], [name_f]Golda[/name_f], [name_f]Goldie[/name_f], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Nubia[/name_f], [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], [name_f]Rosaura[/name_f], [name_f]Saffron[/name_f]

Names related with the sun - [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Elanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Eliane[/name_f], Eliodora, [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Helia[/name_f], [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], [name_m]Sol[/name_m], [name_f]Soleil[/name_f], [name_f]Solveig[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]

Yellow flowers - [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] (or other variant of [name_f]Lily[/name_f] like [name_f]Lileas[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], Lilium), [name_f]Tulip[/name_f], [name_f]Daffodil[/name_f], [name_m]Yarrow[/name_m], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Begonia[/name_f], [name_f]Sunflower[/name_f], [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f], [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Waterlily[/name_f], [name_f]Pansy[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Petunia[/name_f], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]

When was her birthday? What was her birth flower or birth gemstone?

Ps: I didn’t notice this was on the boy names category… I will come back with names for boys!

2 Likes

I love your grandmother without even knowing her. Sounds like such a beautiful and inspiring soul.

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Anemone[/name_f] or [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Anemone[/name_f]
[name_f]Anemone[/name_f] is one of my favorites and never gets old. As a word it doubles as a type of flower and a sea anemone. Both can be fitting for this situation:

anemone flower

the anemone flower: can be a variety of colors that are vibrant. Known to be able to withstand winter and grow in either sun or shade. Ancient Greek tales suggest the flower symbolizes love and passion. Japanese cultures give the flower a dual purpose of life/death as it’s often the flowers at a funeral but also given to those expecting a baby. The yellow anemone below is the rarest color but quite beautiful.

sea anemone

the sea anemone is super colorful and it was actually named after the anemone flower for it’s bright colors. it’s in the same family as corals and jellyfish. [name_m]Can[/name_m] be seen as the ocean flowers. As seen in [name_m]Nemo[/name_m], clownfish and shrimp may live in sea anemones. The anemone stings but clownfish have a protective mucous membrane making it ineffective. The anemone protects the clownfish from bigger predators and cleans them of undigested food debris while the clownfish protects the anemone from parasites through it’s fish excrement thus making it a mutually beneficial relationship.

[name_f]Luminary[/name_f] — “a person who inspires or influences others; a natural light-giving body”
OR [name_m]Luminance[/name_m], [name_f]Luminara[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_m]Lumen[/name_m], [name_f]Lumina[/name_f]

Others:
[name_f]Neri[/name_f] — [name_f]My[/name_f] candle, ocean spirit
[name_f]Fairlight[/name_f] — beautiful light
Seabrooke/Seabrook
[name_f]Umina[/name_f] —sea or emerald
[name_m]Wave[/name_m]
[name_m]Pacific[/name_m]
[name_f]Aquamarine[/name_f]
Oceanus/Oceana
Marine/Marina
[name_m]Coast[/name_m]
[name_f]Stellamaris[/name_f] - star of the sea
[name_f]Ula[/name_f] - gem of the sea
[name_f]Beryl[/name_f] - sea-green jewel
[name_m]Wade[/name_m]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_m]Bright[/name_m] or [name_m]Brighton[/name_m]
[name_m]Golden[/name_m]
[name_m]Light[/name_m]
[name_f]Lively[/name_f]
[name_f]Radiant[/name_f]
[name_m]Stellar[/name_m]
[name_m]Vivid[/name_m]
[name_f]Sunset[/name_f]
[name_m]Dusk[/name_m]
[name_f]Concha[/name_f] -can be nickname for [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]

[name_f]Annamaria[/name_f] —named from [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Island[/name_f] in [name_f]Florida[/name_f] where you can see the sunset from the ocean!

2 Likes

Names similar to [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]: [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m], [name_m]Bartolomeo[/name_m], [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], [name_m]Barack[/name_m], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Barney[/name_m], [name_m]Barrett[/name_m], [name_m]Barry[/name_m], [name_m]Barthelemy[/name_m], Bartolo, [name_m]Finbar[/name_m], [name_m]Jabari[/name_m], [name_f]Darby[/name_f], [name_m]Aramis[/name_m], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], [name_f]Bailey[/name_f], [name_m]Basil[/name_m], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], [name_m]Abraham[/name_m], [name_m]Bradford[/name_m], [name_m]Bradley[/name_m], [name_m]Brady[/name_m], [name_m]Brandon[/name_m]

Names meaning sun: [name_m]Anatole[/name_m], [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], [name_m]Elio[/name_m], [name_m]Eliodoro[/name_m], [name_f]Halo[/name_f], [name_m]Helio[/name_m], Heliodoro, [name_m]Helios[/name_m], [name_m]Ravi[/name_m], [name_m]Ray[/name_m], [name_m]Sol[/name_m], [name_m]Surya[/name_m], [name_m]Samson[/name_m], Solano, [name_m]Sorin[/name_m]

Names meaning yellow or gold: [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m], [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], [name_m]Blaine[/name_m], Chrysostomos, [name_m]Flavius[/name_m], Fulvio, [name_m]Golden[/name_m], [name_m]Oriol[/name_m], [name_m]Xanthos[/name_m]

[name_m]Beach[/name_m] and water related names: [name_m]August[/name_m], [name_m]Beckett[/name_m], [name_m]Brook[/name_m] or [name_m]Brooks[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], Delphinus, [name_m]Dylan[/name_m], [name_m]Marino[/name_m], [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], Oceano, [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Murphy[/name_m], [name_m]Neptune[/name_m], [name_m]Nereus[/name_m], [name_m]Triton[/name_m], [name_m]Wade[/name_m], [name_m]Wave[/name_m]

[name_f]Gem[/name_f] and crystal names for both genders: [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandrite[/name_f], [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Beryl[/name_f], [name_f]Diamond[/name_f], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_m]Garnet[/name_m], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Lazuli[/name_m], [name_m]Onyx[/name_m], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Ruby[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f], [name_f]Turquoise[/name_f]

Names meaning traveller: [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] / [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]

Other ideas for girls: [name_f]Idalia[/name_f], [name_f]Solana[/name_f], [name_f]Solange[/name_f] nn [name_m]Sol[/name_m], [name_f]Suria[/name_f], [name_f]Tesni[/name_f], [name_f]Bee[/name_f]

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I would never have considered [name_f]Anemone[/name_f], but it is quite fitting!

I also love [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Neri[/name_f], [name_f]Umina[/name_f], [name_f]Stellamaris[/name_f], [name_f]Ula[/name_f], and [name_m]Seabrook[/name_m] too. I had forgotten about [name_m]Cove[/name_m] too, but it’s actually pretty perfect! Adding these to my list :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you for so many ideas!

I particularly love Saga, Pearl, Sunniva, Yarrow, Golda, Honey, Suria, Tesni (beautiful meaning!) from the girls list.

Aurelius/o is a brilliant idea! It is kind of a guilty pleasure for me anyway!

I also love Brook and Caspian! And I had considered Marlin (for the fish) but never Merlin.

I am weirdly drawn to Triton. It seems like a very strong cool middle; it’s a name I imagine a boy would love to have! Neptune is also a good fit since she loved Star Trek as well, so there is a double meaning.

You’ve given me a lot to mull over and a bunch to add to the list. Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply :yellow_heart:

Her birthday was in April, which I think is Diamonds. Diamond would have a double meaning for card games too, but it comes across a little tacky for me as a name. I know she loved Ruby, Pearls, Opal, and Topaz all of which I think are usable.

1 Like

What wonderful memories you have of your grandma. She sounded amazing :heart:

[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_m]Ocean[/name_m] & [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]

[name_f]Story[/name_f] (teller)
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] (yellow)
[name_m]Samson[/name_m] (Sun)
[name_f]Truly[/name_f] (CCBB)
Felicity/Felix (happy, lucky)
[name_f]Glory[/name_f]
[name_m]Bridger[/name_m]
[name_m]Jem[/name_m] (Jemima in CCBB & the gems she liked or short for Jeremy)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] (ruler)
[name_f]Etta[/name_f] (ruler)

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] is very romantic!

[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is honestly a top name for me, and I would love to use it as a first if I didn’t live in the US. [name_f]Truly[/name_f] is also endearing; I know my granny loved the name too.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I’m so happy that I was able to help you.

I believe all the names are very usable. Some are more adventurous but very interesting, and they fit into the current trends. Most importantly, they are wonderful and unique ideas to honor your grandmother.

You can also consider a name meaning [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]. [name_f]Diamante[/name_f] means diamond in Portuguese, Spanish, [name_m]French[/name_m], and Italian, for example. I also found [name_f]Almas[/name_f], which means diamond in Arabic, with Persian origin. [name_f]Hira[/name_f] in Sanskrit is another alternative.

[name_m]Reading[/name_m] your post again, I also would like to add some musical related ideas:
[name_f]Lullaby[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluesy[/name_f]
[name_f]Nightingale[/name_f]