When you hear the name Avery do you think of a boy or a girl

We are considering the name [name]Avery[/name] for our baby boy. It was my great grandfather’s name and is my brother’s middle name. My husband loves it. I like it too but am put off by the fact that there are so many girl Averys out there now. Has this name been taken over by girls or is it still masculine enough?

To me this is one of those unisex names I can actually see on both kids though I only know two girls with it.
Nothing frilly about it though!
Go for it!

I agree – it is a truly unisex name for me. If I were pressed, I would say BOY, though.

Boy! I know of two males and one female, and the female is much younger than the males. To me it doesn’t sound feminine. :-/

[name]Alexis[/name]

Boy

I like it best for a boy.

Go for it! Like [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Avery[/name] sounds tired and trendy on a girl but fresh and handsome on a boy. i love it.

I immediately thought girl, however I agree with PP it is a unisex name!

Girl.

I think of this as a girls’ name- never known a boy named [name]Avery[/name] and it sounds very feminine to me. (this is coming from someone who quite likes the idea of [name]Cary[/name] and [name]Gene[/name] on a boy-- so it must be pretty girly. LOL)

[name]Avery[/name] makes me think of the little [name]Avery[/name] brand stickers that you see at the office. [name]Avery[/name] also makes me think of Aviary … big loud messy squawking cage where you keep a bunch of birds. Nope, not really a fan of this name despite it’s lovely look/sound…

My initial thought is girl, I only know one [name]Avery[/name], and I used to babysit her. I agree with the majority, though, [name]Avery[/name] is a unisex name. I would love to meet a little boy named [name]Avery[/name]. :slight_smile:

I see it on (and love it) on a girl.

I know three [name]Avery[/name]'s. One guy from my college’s rugby team, my 14 year old nephew’s (male) friend and a 2 year old girl who would’ve been [name]Avery[/name] if she was a boy, too (her sibs are [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Ashlynn[/name] & [name]Abbie[/name]).

Although it’s pretty accepted on both genders, I still think boy. I agree with the pp’s comment that [name]Avery[/name] is still fresh and handsome on a boy and tired for a girl. I say go for it!

I would say girl. I do know a boy named [name]Avery[/name], but it sounds feminine to me!

I think boy, or (like a PP said) mailing label. I know one [name]Avery[/name] (a 9yo boy) and he’s a sweetie.

I have to add: I thought about this one a little more and I could see it on a boy too.

I think of a boy. [name]Avery[/name] sounds very masculine to me and since I have only known male [name]Avery[/name]'s I would really probably dislike it on a girl.

Girl! I’m 16 years old and there are 6 kids at my school (roughly 600 kids pre-K through 12) named [name]Avery[/name] and they are all girls. I’ve never met a boy named [name]Avery[/name]. It’s definitely a girls name to me. I know that it’s technically a unisex name, but I definitely think it’s leaning towards the girls. Most of the young Averys seem to be girls and I think most people my age would assume girl too.

Boy. All of the Averys I know are boys.

Thanks everybody. There is enough uncertainty about it that I think I’m going to have to cross it off the list.