Where are most nameberries from? UK, US, ...?

Im always wondering this as I read the boards, Im inclined to think that most are from the UK based on the naming styles that most favor, on this board. I look at the popular names in the Uk and the styles and names seem to fit with alot of what posters on this board favor. Then I look at the US names and see such a difference. What do you guys think? BTW Im from the US.

I’m from the UK ([name]Wales[/name] specifically), from experience though I think most berries are from the US. Maybe the names seem more “British” because a lot of berries favour vintage or “old lady” names and perhaps some look to the British name charts for inspiration? [name]Just[/name] a thought. I’ve come across a handful of other Brits but most posters do seem to be Americans. Also a couple of Aussies on here too I think! :slight_smile:

I’m from Ohio, but I love lots of British-sounding names, like [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Bryony[/name]. I know there are a few NBs from Australia, as well as the UK and US.

I’m from [name]Canada[/name]. Our naming trends are a little bit different up here but still similar to the US. I prefer less popular names myself.

[name]Canada[/name].

I do notice a lot from [name]Britain[/name], but maybe not more than proportional to population. It does seem there are a few more from Australia and New Zealand than I’d expect, though.

A theory on why the names discussed here look the way they do (more reflecting Commonwealth than US trends) - they’re “hip”. It was pointed out recently that many of the most popular names are considered dated. That is, once a trend has spread to everyone, it’s about to collapse, or at least not be stylish anymore. On nameberry, many names often discussed are still rare in the US, and many aren’t common yet anywhere that I know. Because many members advise against the most popular names but strongly avoid recently dated ones, what we get is a strong bias towards up-and-coming names. It’s often been noted that US naming trends generally lag [name]Britain[/name].

I’m from the US but my style is very international. I like lots of [name]German[/name], Scandinavian, English, and French names. Part of my style reflects our families heritage ([name]German[/name] and English) and the others are just names we love (lke french girls names). I’m primarily driven by popularity, so I search for names that are not common in the US.

I’m from Australia

Very good points, and I agree. My conclusion as of late, is that nameberries trying to stay away from trends and instead trying to find the up and coming names, many of which are vintage old fashioned names…may be suprised that that those names too will become trendy, popular and then dated…some will surge into the top ten and quickly become dated. There is no way to pick a name that wont potentially be seen as trendy and dated…it may take a while but it very likely will happen. So is staying ahead of the curve so worth it? I dont know. I think the first and foremost thing should be finding a name you love, regardless of whether its already dated or up and coming…because all names will and do, find their date of expiration. :slight_smile:

Im from the UK (Northern [name]Ireland[/name])

Another Canadian here. :slight_smile:

I’m from [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree with you that looking for an up-and-coming name will just lead to choosing a name that is trendy in 10 years or so. But I don’t think most Nameberries are looking for the next [name]Ava[/name]. In fact, I think that’s what most of us a trying to avoid. I’ve seen many people here decide against a name because, though not popular yet, it seems destined for future popularity. Many of us are looking for names that, instead of being ahead of the curve, are not on the curve at all. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between the two! But I do think there are names that will never be dated, either because they are absolute classics ([name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]James[/name]), or because they are so uncommon that they’re off the trend radar. I definitely agree that finding a name you love is more important than worrying about popularity!

[quote=“hoodie”]

I agree with you that looking for an up-and-coming name will just lead to choosing a name that is trendy in 10 years or so. But I don’t think most Nameberries are looking for the next [name]Ava[/name]. In fact, I think that’s what most of us a trying to avoid. I’ve seen many people here decide against a name because, though not popular yet, it seems destined for future popularity. Many of us are looking for names that, instead of being ahead of the curve, are not on the curve at all. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between the two! But I do think there are names that will never be dated, either because they are absolute classics ([name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]James[/name]), or because they are so uncommon that they’re off the trend radar. I definitely agree that finding a name you love is more important than worrying about popularity![/quote]

I agree with hoodie. Much of the discussion on this site revolves around trying to decide which names will surge up the charts and which will remain relatively uncommon. It is an imperfect game, or course. A celebrity starbaby or hot book could “out” any name. But I believe it is worthwhile to consider all aspects of a name, including popularity. There were many moms in the ‘70s who loved [name]Jennifer[/name], and many Jennifers today who would have appreciated a little more thought on their mothers’ parts.
I’m in [name]Texas[/name], USA.

I’m from the US, [name]Alabama[/name] specifically.

I’m from the US. Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else where my name wasnt so popular

I’m from the U.S. (Mississippi)! :slight_smile:

[quote=“hoodie”]

I agree with you that looking for an up-and-coming name will just lead to choosing a name that is trendy in 10 years or so. But I don’t think most Nameberries are looking for the next [name]Ava[/name]. In fact, I think that’s what most of us a trying to avoid. I’ve seen many people here decide against a name because, though not popular yet, it seems destined for future popularity. Many of us are looking for names that, instead of being ahead of the curve, are not on the curve at all. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between the two! But I do think there are names that will never be dated, either because they are absolute classics ([name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]James[/name]), or because they are so uncommon that they’re off the trend radar. I definitely agree that finding a name you love is more important than worrying about popularity![/quote]

I never said most nameberries are looking for the next [name]Ava[/name]. I certainly dont think ALL nameberries are looking for the next “it” name. Some are, and some arent. I have to say this topic is getting really off topic, I was just asking where people lived :slight_smile: However, I will weigh in on more of what has been said, as far as the Uk setting the trends, I have wondered this myself, but then I am reminded that they too have followed some of the US trends. For example, [name]Jessica[/name] is a top name in the Uk but it has fallen big time in the US…so maybe both countries are copying each other (also I think other countries are copying the US in embracing unisex names (I see them slowly climbing the charts). I say pick a name you love, regardless of the names status.

I’m from the US (Northeast), born and raised in New [name]York[/name] City, currently going to school in [name]Washington[/name], D.C.

I like relatively uncommon names (for US standards) and tend to like names that have a British edge to them. However, names that are hot across the pond are often destined for popularity in the US. I also am a statisitcs nerd (at least when it comes to names) and looking at the SSA charts can clue you into name trends. If a name is slowly increasing each year it may become popular, but would need a cultural/celebrity influence to skyrocket. Names that are not popular but jump a lot each year ([name]Juliet[/name], jumped from 518 to 319 in two years), names with desirable nicknames ([name]Emmy[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Bella[/name]) or names with ‘hot’ sounds (the -aydens, the -bellas, boys names ending in -n/-er) are territory to be wary of, in my opinion, if you want a name that will stay unpopular for a little while. OR, the key is to pick a generationally “wrong” name. My parents named my sister [name]Robin[/name] in the early 90s and she has never met a single other [name]Robin[/name], since the name was most common in the 50s/60s when my parents were kids.

I’m from [name]East[/name] Coast of U.S., but live in Midwest now

delete

[name]Just[/name] fyi: about 3/5 of the nameberries are from the US, and then, in descending order, the UK, [name]Canada[/name], Australia, [name]India[/name], Philippines, Germany, New Zealand, [name]Ireland[/name] and Malaysia. 204 countries in all, spread over every continent. In all modesty, we’re really impressed that the site has gained this world-wide presence.