Where the Heart Is

This is one of my favorite movies and I’ve always wondered how the writer came up with some of the characters names…

Novalee
Forney
[name]Sister[/name]
[name]Americus[/name]

and then [name]Lexi[/name]'s children Brownie, Praline, [name]Cherry[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name]

anyone else?

Oh, yeah! That movie is on TV so often, and I must say I’ve seen it way too many times - but it is good, and I love [name]Natalie[/name] Portman!

I think the last names really make a lot of these names, though! Take a look:

Novalee Nation and her daughter, [name]Americus[/name] Nation, live with [name]Sister[/name] Husband! The one name that really got me in this movie was Forney, Forney Hull, as I just can’t get past how close it is to “fornicate.” I know - that’s terrible.

[name]Man[/name], I want to watch this right now!

I adore this movie :slight_smile:

I believe that, in the movie, Novalee wants her little girl to have a strong name, and she she names her after the US … [name]Americus[/name]. If I met a little [name]Americus[/name] I would be a little appalled, but it fits right in with Novalee’s character, background et cetera.

“[name]Sister[/name]” was actually named [name]Thelma[/name].

I love these names! I love Novalee, the only thing that stops me from putting it on my list is it sounds too rednecked. I found a french version I love- Nouvella which translated means new, [name]Nova[/name] is the nickname and it means “chasing butterflies.”

you’re right…i should have added the last names too lol!
and i agree, if you were to hear the names in real life they would sound “out there” but for some reason in this movie, they are perfect.

p.s. youre not alone in Forney reminded you of fornication…haha. Especially when one of the lines in the movie id “Dear God, please forgive us of the fornication committed on this very table” :slight_smile:

that is pretty! and if you didnt think Novalee was “redneck” before watching the movie…you definitely do after watching it! =D

This movie was based on a book, but I can’t remember the title or author. Anyone know?

Never mind, I found it. The novel was written by [name]Billie[/name] Letts and i loved it. Never saw the movie. I will have to find it.

You should watch the movie, if it is true to the book - which I think it largely is. Very sweet and heartwarming film indeed, and I love [name]Natalie[/name] Portman in it! [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Judd[/name] as [name]Lexie[/name] is good, too, as is [name]Stockard[/name] [name]Channing[/name] as [name]Sister[/name] Husband.

If you are in the US, it plays on TV every once in a while, usually on the WE network, but I can’t remember if I might’ve seen it on Lifetime or Oxygen, too…

unicorngirl you should definitely watch it! its just a feel good movie

[name]Love[/name] that movie so much!

Oooh! Great movie! :slight_smile:

I absolutely [name]ADORE[/name] the book and the movie =) My only problem with the movie is they changed Novalee’s unlucky number from 7 to 5 0_o
Anywho! I love [name]Americus[/name]’ name, because it just so fits her! [name]Moses[/name] Whitecotton (the [name]African[/name] American guy with the camera at the wal-mart) also has a cool name. I love saying it! My dad makes fun of Forney’s name whenever he hears :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [name]Lexi[/name]‘s kids’ names just crack me up!