Which and Why?

[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
or
[name]Margaux[/name]?

(assuming your answer isn’t “none of the above”)

Thanks!

I prefert [name]Margot[/name] b/c it’s the traditional French spelling. ([name]Henri[/name] IV’s first wife was la reine [name]Margot[/name].)

I really don’t like [name]Margaux[/name] because, despite the fact that it’s the more popular spelling in [name]France[/name], it feels made-up and silly to me. Like [name]Cyndee[/name] or something.

Also, English speakers will adapt more quickly to spelling [name]Margot[/name] than [name]Margaux[/name].

good question! I love the name, so I’ve thought about this lots and I can’t decide! I remember reading as a kid [name]Ann[/name] [name]Frank[/name] and being really confused on [name]Margot[/name]'s pronunciation, I knew the T was silent, but I still got it wrong in my head. Now I actually really like that spelling, but I’d be worried about pronunciation problems. Same with [name]Margaux[/name], though for me, that’s more intuitive… Anyway, I think if I were using this in [name]America[/name], I’d spell it [name]Margo[/name]. It would just cut back on soo many misspelling/mispronunciation issues, and it is pronounced exactly the same.

[name]Margo[/name], spell it how you say it! such a CUTE name!!

I actually like [name]Margaux[/name], but I see why you guys think it would sound made up.
As to [name]Anne[/name] [name]Frank[/name]'s sister, I’m pretty sure the T was pronounced since [name]Anne[/name] and her family were [name]German[/name] and this is the usuall pronounciation for [name]Margot[/name] here. In fact, nobody would say [name]Margo[/name] here unless you told him. That said, I’m not suggesting that [name]Mar[/name]-got is the correct pronounciation.

Well, I prefer the way [name]Margaux[/name] looks, but I can understand how some may view it as too frilly or over-the-top. [name]Margaux[/name] Heminway’s parents named her after a bottle of champagne.

If I had to choose between [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Margo[/name], however, I’m honestly not sure as to which one I’d select. [name]Margot[/name] honestly reminds me of Maggot, and that’s not a good thing. Granted, that’s just me, but that’s my association. So, I guess I’d go with [name]Margo[/name].

In the end, however, my pick is actually [name]Margaux[/name], which shocks me, as I love classic names and spellings.

Best wishes!

Hmm… I don’t think you can go wrong with this one. They’re all very pretty.

Personally, I would go with “[name]Margot[/name]” for [name]Margot[/name] Fonteyn, but if you’re not a ballet fan, you’ve probably never heard of her. :shrug:

While I am familiar with [name]Margot[/name] Fonteyn, like other posters I associate [name]Margot[/name] with [name]Anne[/name] [name]Frank[/name]'s sister, probably because she was my first exposure to that spelling. And while I do consider the associations other people will make, the consensus seems to be (not a mom yet, so I’m judging by what folks have said here and elsewhere) that once you name your child, he or she totally eclipses any other uses of the name.

My default spelling is [name]Margo[/name]. I like that it isn’t fussy and has a little kick to it. But isn’t it awfully American? [name]How[/name] silly is it to want my children to have names that travel well? My married name is an [name]Ellis[/name] Island-style bastardization of its original (though we find the correct (?) spelling used in the US five generations back and I, for one, would like to reverse the mistake) and I feel like if/when my family travels to the places that are our/our name’s origin, it will seem at best inaccurate and worse, ignorant. I would like to give my children first names with some serious history, names that are as traditionally at home on “the continent” as they are anywhere else. So not only am I a name snob, but apparently an imperialist as well. Great.

Awww, you’re not alone with the imperialism! I’m the same way but because I do have family all around the globe and I was given a name that travels beautifully myself. I wanted my children to have the same ease I did when I was travelling. There are a lot of names tht work equally well around the world. It’s not an awful thing, to want your kids to blend in other places, really! :smiley: