Which do you like better Zoé, Zoë, or Zoe?

See the results of this poll: Which do you like better

Respondents: 49 (This poll is closed)

• Zoé : 1 (2%)
  • Zoë : 19 (33%)
  • Zoe : 28 (48%)
  • Zoey or Zooey: 10 (17%)

I like [name]Zoe[/name] or [name]Zoey[/name]. They seem the least “complicated” to me.

I like [name]Zoe[/name] the best.

I like [name]Zoe[/name] with an accent trema, but unless you live in a country where these accents are accepted, it’s all a moot point.

[name]Zoey[/name] and [name]Zooey[/name] always look semi-illiterate to me, like you have to spell out the pronunciation for those who simply don’t know.

I wouldn’t do any accents if you live in [name]America[/name], most people just leave them out

[name]Zoe[/name] is the best option if you live in [name]America[/name].

[name]Zoey[/name]! or [name]Zoe[/name]

[name]Reading[/name] these phonetically this is how they should sound:

[name]Zo[/name]ë - zoh-ee
[name]Zo[/name]é - zoh-ay
[name]Zoe[/name] - zoh
[name]Zoey[/name] - zoh-ee
[name]Zooey[/name] - zoo-ee

Therefore if you want the ‘zoh-ee’ sound your only options are [name]Zo[/name]ë or [name]Zoey[/name].

I think [name]Zoey[/name] is definately the way to go. This spelling will make it easy for classmates as well as aleviate discussions with teachers for your daughter spelling her name down the road.

Definitely [name]Zoe[/name]. I would prefer [name]Zoe[/name] (with the two dots over the e, but I don’t know how to do that on the keyboard), but as pps have said, in the US, that will mostly get changed to [name]Zoe[/name] anyway, so you may as well start out there. [name]Zoey[/name] reminds me of [name]Joey[/name] (the boys’ name and a baby kangaroo), and [name]Zooey[/name] looks to me like it is meant to be pronounced Zoo-ee (as in a zoo with animals), so I don’t like those at all. Everyone knows [name]Zoe[/name] is prn. zoh-ee, at least everyone I know. I don’t think you’ll run into trouble with that spelling. [name]Love[/name] this name by the way!! :slight_smile:

Zoe is the only real way to spell like Greek name/word. I would rather see Zoey if you don’t want to use the real spelling than any of these ridiculous accent marks. No offense, I just find them pointless. I’ve never met a single person who didn’t know how to pronounce Zoe.

Let me share my experiences having worked with a Zoe spelled with an umlaut. She never writes it on her own name, she thinks it’s silly, and it gets left off when her name is on our roll sheets and emergency pages. The only reason I knew it had an umlaut is when I had to call her mom and looked at the contact card and it had the umlaut there. Her mother is the only one who does it. The little Zoe herself thinks it looks stupid and just leave it off her name when she writes it.

on the same note, the other Zoey we have, she’s the only one who remembers to spell her name with the Y. It’s on the roll sheet, but when the other kids are writing her name, they write it Zoe and she has to correct them. I don’t think this is the easiest for kids given my personal experiences with kids with both those names.

Again, I hope I don’t offend, I just don’t see the point when we have celebrities with this name and again, I’ve never met one person in my whole life who didn’t know how to pronounce Zoe.

[name]Zoe[/name]! Why complicate life unnecessarily?

I would spell it [name]Zoe[/name] or [name]Zoey[/name] since you’re in the US, you won’t be able to enforce the use of an accent here imo.

[name]Zoe[/name] or [name]Zoey[/name]

I’m clearly in the minority, but I love the French [name]Zo[/name]é!

I like [name]Zoey[/name] the best. I think that the Y at the end just makes it look complete. It’s also the presumed spelling of the name.

[name]Zoe[/name] or [name]Zo[/name]ë. I probably wouldn’t stress about the accent mark overmuch, personally, but it doesn’t bother me like the y-spellings. [name]Zoey[/name] looks illiterate. I don’t believe in trying to re-write classic names for the lowest common denominator. [name]Plenty[/name] of classic names are not strictly phonetic, from [name]Thomas[/name]/[name]Michael[/name]/[name]John[/name] on. Kreativity is not much of an improvement.

I’d put [name]Zoey[/name] up with Klowee and [name]Mikayla[/name] as rather unfortunate-looking.

In order of preference:

1. [name]Zo[/name]ë
  2. [name]Zoe[/name]
  3. [name]Zo[/name]é

I personally find [name]Zoey[/name] and [name]Zooey[/name] a little peculiar.

I second this. The name [name]Zoe[/name] is one of my name pet peeves because I never know whether to pronounce it “zo” or “zo-ee”. I voted for [name]Zo[/name]ë because I think having an accent in your name would be so cool.