Which do you like?

My husband just handed me the reigns on naming our baby girl (due in [name]December[/name]). He likes all the names on our list, but none really stand out to him. We’ve been discussing baby names so much that my brain is getting a little mushy on the subject. Here’s our list:

[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (nn [name]Libby[/name])
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]

Any favorites? We want a name that’s feminine and not overly popular/trendy or too out there.

I like all of them, but the three I like the LEAST are [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Layla[/name] and [name]Bethany[/name]. So I’d start by crossing those three off of the list. They feel much more trendy than the others.

If you use [name]Sophie[/name], why not go with [name]Sophia[/name]? You can get [name]Sophie[/name] as a nn anyway, and you have more options that way.

Any MN ideas?

DH doesn’t like [name]Sophia[/name], so we’re not going there. :slight_smile:

The mn would be [name]Jean[/name] for every first name except [name]Brooke[/name]. In that case, it would be [name]Janine[/name] (we use grandparents’ names as middle names).

I don’t care for [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Layla[/name], [name]Bethany[/name], or [name]Eva[/name], and [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is a little too alliterative. My favorites would be [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jean[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jean[/name], and [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Jean[/name] (I think [name]Sophie[/name] is a perfectly cute stand alone name, but if [name]Sophia[/name] is out they might be too close). All of those choices seem very spunky.

[name]Julia[/name] - cute but I prefer the names [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this name
[name]Ruby[/name] - um…no, I don’t like it
[name]Eva[/name] - cute, love it
[name]Lucy[/name] - it’s alright
[name]Layla[/name] - do not like, prefer [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lila[/name], or [name]Lola[/name] which are similar
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (nn [name]Libby[/name]) - blah and boring
[name]Bethany[/name] - again blah
[name]Brooke[/name] - not as soft sounds masculine and tough to me

Top 2 would have to be [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]. hmm…I would say that [name]Eva[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is slightly better.

[name]Julia[/name] - It’s a little dated
[name]Sophie[/name] - It’s very common but I love [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] - Again, dated
[name]Eva[/name] - I prefer [name]Ava[/name] immensly but this is cute.
[name]Lucy[/name] - It’s not my fave but I do like it
[name]Layla[/name] - I used to like this a lot but I’ve kind of gone off it a bit
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (nn [name]Libby[/name]) - I love [name]Eliza[/name] rather than [name]Elizabeth[/name] and I love [name]Libby[/name]!
[name]Bethany[/name] - I prefer [name]Bethan[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name] - Nms really

My faves are [name]Eva[/name] & [name]Lucy[/name]. Combo [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Eva[/name]?

[name]Julia[/name]: I love this timeless classic, but I’m not a fan of [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

[name]Sophie[/name]: I think it’s beautiful, but also very popular, especially when taking all of the Sophias (nn [name]Sophie[/name]) into account.

[name]Ruby[/name]: I think that [name]Ruby[/name] is very spunky, and I love [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jean[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Eva[/name]: I think it’s very pretty, but also very close to the super popular [name]Ava[/name]. I think that some of your other names sound better with [name]Jean[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name]: I think that [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is very cute. :slight_smile:

[name]Layla[/name]: I’m not personally a [name]Layla[/name] fan.

[name]Elizabeth[/name] (nn [name]Libby[/name]): I love this name and think that [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jean[/name] works, but it feels a bit “safe” to me compared to [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jean[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. I love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jean[/name], too!

[name]Bethany[/name]: I prefer some of your other names…

[name]Brooke[/name]: Ditto…

With [name]Jean[/name], my favorites are [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. I think it meets all your criteria and is a great name for a child and adult. I love the nn [name]Libby[/name]!

[name]Eva[/name] is a good second choice, but I don’t like it as much with [name]Jean[/name]. Maybe [name]Eva[/name] [name]Janine[/name] as that is your alternate middle? I like the length better with [name]Eva[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name] is cute too but it may be too popular for your taste. I like [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

[name]Sophie[/name] is very popular right now but if that doesn’t bother you then I think it is a lovely name. [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is ok. [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Janine[/name] works too imo.

The others are nms or don’t meet your criteria as well imo

I like them all except [name]Layla[/name] and [name]Bethany[/name].
[name]Favorite[/name] is [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I love all your names except for [name]Bethany[/name], it’s just not my style.
[name]Ruby[/name] is a favorite of mine and is at the top of my list.
I love [name]Layla[/name] too but have a dog named [name]Lola[/name] so it would never work for me.
[name]Eulalie[/name] is a name that reminds me of [name]Layla[/name]. I like the nn Lalie.
[name]Brooke[/name] is a name that I love in the middle but is also great as a first.
[name]Eva[/name] is so close to [name]Ava[/name], all though it is a beautiful name it’s just really popular and I’m afraid that it too will be a hot ticket soon.
[name]Lucy[/name] is fun and spunky.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] is a fantastic classic I never get tired of.
[name]Sophie[/name] is popular but like [name]Olivia[/name] I love [name]Sophie[/name]/[name]Sophia[/name] despite their popularity.
Ooops I almost forgot [name]Julia[/name]. I love all of the “Jul” names.

[name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jean[/name] gets my vote! Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

I’ve now narrowed it down to [name]Elizabeth[/name] ([name]Libby[/name]), [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Lucy[/name]. Though I still love all the others, I eliminated them for various reasons. This is our third child-- but it’s also our first girl and possibly our last baby-- so it’s been really hard to let go of certain names that I adore.

Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it!

I love [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Lucy[/name], but [name]Julia[/name] is so much more distinctive than the others. While [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are fine names, [name]Elizabeth[/name] is really popular, and [name]Lucy[/name] is, to me, kind of boring compared to [name]Julia[/name].

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jean[/name] works the best I think for both flow and sound quality. In addition, [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a name that your daughter can carry proudly and age well with. The nn [name]Libby[/name] is one of my favorite [name]Elizabeth[/name] nns. It’s spunky and fresh. I understand that more suggestions might not be what you need now but I just couldn’t resist;) If the nn [name]Libby[/name] is really what ties you to [name]Elizabeth[/name], than I happen to think [name]Liberty[/name] [name]Jean[/name] (nn [name]Libby[/name]) would also work and it sounds beautiful, just like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

I’m personally not a big fan of alliteration despite my name being alliteration (first and middle name start with L:( so [name]Julia[/name] [name]Jean[/name] isn’t my favorite. I don’t think it compares remotely with [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. [name]Julia[/name] is used so often where I live that it’s becoming almost dated and trendy to me. It’s a beautiful name to be sure but…

Okay, I admit. I have a big soft spot for [name]Lucy[/name]. You can’t help but imagine an adorable, rosy-cheeked little girl with her ringlets in pigtails giggling and running around in a meadow chasing a butterfly. Unfortunately, the key word there is “little girl” (Or keywords I guess.) [name]Lucy[/name] is and forever will be the name of a cute, peppery little girl to me. Unlike [name]Elizabeth[/name], it won’t age very well. In college and beyond, introducing yourself as [name]Lucy[/name] when you’re a grown, serious woman might not be the best of situations. If you want to use [name]Lucy[/name] (which I love even though the repercussions fore mentioned) it might be better to make it an nn for a longer, fuller name. Some suggestions of the top of my mind (I’ve starred my favorites):
[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Jean[/name]*
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Jean[/name]*
Lucianna*
Lucillia
Lucelia
[name]Lucrezia[/name] (although the ‘c’ in this one is hard, not soft)
[name]Hope[/name] I helped!