Which name

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m]
[name_m]Theo[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m]

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] is very charming and handsome! [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] flows very well. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is sweet and amiable. I love that it is an unexpected but traditional choice.
I really like [name_m]Theo[/name_m], but I’m not loving the sound of [name_m]Theo[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m]. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] would flow better, I believe.

I like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] but don’t love [name_m]Teddy[/name_m] (but don’t hate it either). I love [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but I really dislike [name_m]Toby[/name_m]. Thoughts on that?

2 Likes

From a personal perspective, I think popular nicknames can be avoided, at least in the closest circle of family and friends. However, your Tobias or Theodore may always end up being called Toby or Teddy one day, even as an adult, by his colleagues, friends or perhaps his partners.

For example, my parents never liked the nickname associated with my first name. They considered it too masculine for a girl (imagine Alexandra nn Alex). They never called me that. My parents, close family members and some of my friends always had other nicknames in mind. However, nowadays, as an adult, some of my friends and some of my colleagues at work call me by that nickname. I don’t dislike it so it doesn’t bother me at all, and my parents never hear that, so it will never bother them either.
My cousin, for example, always hated the nickname associated with her name (similar to Caroline nn Carol). She has spent her whole life correcting everyone and explaining that she doesn’t go by any nickname. At some point, I think she just gave up and now she accepts that nickname with some reluctance.

Everyone has a different experience. There’s no way to know how everyone will react to your top choices. Will you have a hard time accepting Teddy or Toby? What if one day your son decides to go by Teddy or Toby? How would you react?

1 Like

thank u for this. This is a helpful perspective!

1 Like

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m]

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] is beyond handsome!

[name_m]Theo[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m]!

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] flows better to me, and is less common than the trendy [name_m]Theo[/name_m] right now. I agree with @Estrela on the nickname matter, [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is likely to me a [name_m]Toby[/name_m], unless he introduces himself by another unique nickname that doesn’t give a chance for people to bring [name_m]Toby[/name_m] to the table. If you like [name_m]Toby[/name_m], great! [name_m]Toby[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] is super cute. If you don’t love it, then [name_m]Theo[/name_m] for sure.

I like [name_m]Theo[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m] best, very handsome combo.