Which of these names work best?

Hello,

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are trying to conceive and we have started to discuss names to take our minds off the waiting game :grin:

While we agree on many girl names, it’s way more difficult with boys: he doesn’t like most of my faves (Achille, [name_m]Hector[/name_m], Adriel). The few names he likes are : [name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_m]Finn[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

I like all of these names, but I’m not sure any of them is THE name, if you know what I mean.

What is your opinion on these four names? Which one do you like best? [name_m]Can[/name_m] you think of any other names in the same style?

As for our criteria, we are a bilingual family so the name has to sound familiar in both French-speaking and English-speaking environments.

Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

They’re all such lovely names! My favourite is Achille, I love how it’s cool and unexpected but still easy to wear. But the friendly Finn is lovely too! Such a sweet, sunny name :sunny:

Something that stands out to me is that your husband’s favourites are more familiar names (in English-speaking circles, at least), whereas your own faves are a little more adventurous. So maybe you could “sell” them to him with a more familiar nickname? For example, let’s say you really like the name Leander. You could suggest naming your son Leander with the nickname Leo, which feels more like his style!

I apologize in advance, my knowledge of French is limited so I may be wrong about how usable some of of these are :sweat_smile:

Arthur
Ambrose
Alaric (maybe with the nickname Alec, since he likes it!)
Basil
Cassian
Casper
Emrys
Ellis
Elliott
Felix
Henry / Henri
Hugo
Laurence
Lucian / Lucien
Luca
Louis
Magnus
Maximilian / Maxim(e) / Maxence
Oberon
Orion
Otto
Otis
Percy
Rafferty
Ruben
Rupert
Sullivan
Stellan
Soren
Sebastian / Sebastien / Bastien
Valentin

1 Like

[name_m]Alec[/name_m] → cool and classic but with a twist; literary with a hint of flair, a little more gentle than [name_m]Alex[/name_m] at the same time

[name_m]Finn[/name_m] → snappy, cool and solid, but fresh too

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] → solid and safe but lacks the sparkle of your other choices for me

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] → sleek and stylish with a hint of magic about it

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is my favourite :slight_smile:

Some others:

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m] / [name_m]Luca[/name_m]
[name_m]Lyle[/name_m]
[name_m]Beck[/name_m]
[name_m]Kylian[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Sacha[/name_m] / [name_f]Sasha[/name_f]
[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Max[/name_m]

1 Like

I admit that my style is more in line with your husband’s. I love all of his favorites. [name_m]Finn[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] would be my top two, but I am pleased to see [name_m]Alec[/name_m] as I feel it is underused and rarely considered. [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is great, but I do think it’s about to explode in popularity (like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] did).

Since you asked about other names that might come to mind:

[name_m]Adrien[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Cody[/name_m]
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_f]Ollie[/name_f]
[name_f]Quinn[/name_f]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is on our list for boys. I like it.

1 Like

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Jason[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]

1 Like

I love @tallemaja’s idea of a more [name_m]French[/name_m] name with a more [name_f]English[/name_f] nick-name. [name_m]Alexandre[/name_m] as [name_m]Alec[/name_m] might fit? [name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_f]Alix[/name_f], as a more [name_m]French[/name_m] alternative

Other thoughts:
[name_m]Andre[/name_m] (could have “Andy” as a nickname, or even “Drew”)
[name_m]Blaise[/name_m] (French name, but easy for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers)
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m] (though might be too annoying with Encanto)
[name_m]Cyril[/name_m]
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]
[name_m]Mathéo[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilien[/name_m] (“Max”)
[name_m]Pascal[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Adriel[/name_m] is very interesting! I like it! [name_m]Adriel[/name_m] is unique, but it sounds familiar and romantic.
[name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_m]Finn[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are wonderful names. [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is unexpected but very charming. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is a timeless, very sweet and handsome name. [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is colorful and melodic. [name_m]Finn[/name_m] is a gentle and poetic sounding name. All feel timeless or modern, great for a child born nowadays. I love nature inspired names so [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are my favorites from your list.

I think [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] could be a good idea for you!

More ideas:
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]
[name_m]Dorian[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Emil[/name_m]
[name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Marcel[/name_m], [name_m]Marco[/name_m] or [name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]
[name_m]Florian[/name_m]
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ismael[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Noel[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Julien[/name_m]
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederic[/name_m]
[name_m]Amaury[/name_m]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Killian[/name_m]
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacques[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Gael[/name_m]
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nestor[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentino[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilien[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_m]Noam[/name_m] or [name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]
[name_m]Albin[/name_m]
[name_m]Remy[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

1 Like

Firstly wishing you all the best with your TTC journey!!

So I lean more towards your husband taste in names I really love [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Finn[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is such a lovely name that feels distinguished, majestic and handsome.

[name_m]Finn[/name_m] feels outdoorsy, fun and has an overall cheeky Chappy feel. [name_m]Finn[/name_m] has always appealed to me he’s just adorable.

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is a sweet, tailored choice that feels handsome and cosy.

[name_m]Achille[/name_m] feels summery, bright and very stylish in a hipster Shoreditch way. I think [name_m]Achille[/name_m] would be a bold fashion forward choice.

[name_m]Hector[/name_m] has a kooky distinguished feel that is very bold yet calming. I can completely see the appeal even though it isn’t my favourite

[name_m]Adriel[/name_m] I associate strongly with the angel of death so I’m just not feeling this one

You’ve had lots lovely suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Willis[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Hadriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Sorrel[/name_m]
[name_m]Cadmus[/name_m]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Philemon[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]August[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Dorian[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

I love [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] & [name_m]Adriel[/name_m] !

Some other names you might like are:
[name_m]Flynn[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_f]Ariel[/name_f]
[name_m]Florian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jude[/name_m]
[name_m]Nico[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Emmett[/name_m]
[name_m]Adonis[/name_m]
[name_m]Willem[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Kai[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]

1 Like

Thank your for your suggestions. I submitted these names to my husband after reading your posts:
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Elliot[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Percy[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_m]Rowan[/name_m]

Out of all these names, he only finds [name_m]Elliot[/name_m] and [name_m]Percy[/name_m] to his taste. I’m really undecided about names for boys, I think I might have a hard time renouncing my ultimates favorites which are [name_m]Achille[/name_m] and [name_m]Hector[/name_m] so it’s harder to project myself with another name.

A few names that were suggested I like, but cannot give because they are the names of friends, colleagues, family members,…

I would like to thank you for your help, I tried the idea of submitting [name_m]Achille[/name_m] to my husband while suggesting the posssibility to use the nickname [name_m]Ash[/name_m], that really made him see the name in a new light and he is now considering that name seriously!
Massive thanks to you! :wink:

1 Like