Which of these would you promote...

…from guilty pleasure to genuine possibility?

I did a similar post with girls names and you were all really helpful, so here are the boys!

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]
[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Devin[/name_u] [name_m]Marceau[/name_m]
[name_m]Eames[/name_m] [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]
[name_m]Elden[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldred[/name_m] [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé
[name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Wilde
[name_m]Lucius[/name_m] Meriwether
[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Moorland

[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_m]Eames[/name_m] [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather, [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé and [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart all seem very usable to me! Though I was on the fence about [name_u]Francis[/name_u] because of the middle name.

[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Devin[/name_u] [name_m]Marceau[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather, [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé, [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart, and [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Moorland all seem wearable to me. After all, the more out-there names are mostly in the middle spot. [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] is pretty unheard of, but I think that it could fit in with [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], etc.

I feel like [name_m]Elden[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] are brave but could also work. The others ([name_m]Eames[/name_m], [name_m]Eldred[/name_m], [name_m]Ivor[/name_m], [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], and [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m]) either feel a little over-the-top or have unappealing sounds that might not wear as well, imho.

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather is so awesome, btw! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]! You could use the nickname Ames if it feels a bit much but I think it’s great.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think that this list is mostly ‘safer’ than your girl GP list. Here are my thoughts:

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]-[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is totally doable. It’s strong & a little posh. It’s unexpected, yet well known enough that it wouldn’t be too weird. And I love the idea of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] nn [name_m]Abe[/name_m]. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] is okay in the mn spot, but there are a lot of ‘ms’ & 'r’s in this combo.

[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u]-I just love this. Not too out there at all. Charming & totally doable. I love the flow of [name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u].

[name_u]Devin[/name_u] [name_m]Marceau[/name_m]-The mn is different, & it’s kind of a cool combo. I love names like [name_u]Devin[/name_u] ([name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u]), but this one has always seemed a bit trendier for whatever reason. It’s not bad though.

[name_m]Eames[/name_m] [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]-This is pretty good. You could always do [name_m]Amos[/name_m] nn Ames, then you get two in one. Or [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], which I love even more. [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m] is fun as a mn. Sort of geeky, but cute.

[name_m]Elden[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]-Hm. I don’t mind this, but it doesn’t sparkle. I think it’d be fine to use, it just isn’t recognizable or special. I prefer [name_u]Alden[/name_u].

[name_m]Eldred[/name_m] [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]-I find this one difficult to say for some reason. It doesn’t flow off the tongue. It’s okay though. Not my favorite. I love the [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] part! I love it for a girl, but it’s nice as a mn for a boy.

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather-Dh’s cousin has a little guy called [name_u]Francis[/name_u]. Dh loves it for a boy. I’m more on board with it for a girl, but it’s kind of nice for a boy too. Fairweather is a bit much.

[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé-I don’t dislike this, but I really prefer [name_m]Ivan[/name_m]. And this is ‘ee-vo’, right? I think that it would be said ‘eye-vo’ a lot. The mn is a bit odd, but fine in the mn spot.

[name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Wilde-This is okay. It’s usable. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my personal favorite. I love the mn.

[name_m]Lucius[/name_m] Meriwether-Meriweather is a bit cheesy, honestly. [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] is okay. I don’t know…I tend to find it kind of close to [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] sometimes.

[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Hart[/name_m]-Well, his is certainly different. Maybe too much…

[name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart-Stobbart is a bit odd. Does it have special meaning? I like [name_u]Wynn[/name_u]! I like it for a boy or a girl. I also really like it as a nn for [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or [name_m]Winston[/name_m] spelled [name_u]Win[/name_u].

[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Moorland-This is totally doable. Especially w/the fun nns of [name_m]Zac[/name_m], [name_m]Zeke[/name_m] or [name_u]Zooey[/name_u]!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] is simply delightful! Definitely one to promote

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather -bold yet grounded. [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Merriweather would be even more amazing

[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé is really cool. Bold and brilliant wirh a kind of wizardy feel

[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Hart[/name_m], - a big name but it has so much character

[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m]*Moorland - a good mix of grandeur and familiarity

My favorite has to be [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]!

I really like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u] & [name_m]Elden[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]!!!

Definitely usable imo.

The two best choices are the [name_u]Devin[/name_u] and [name_m]Zechariah[/name_m] name combos.

• Dislike [name_m]Ivo[/name_m].
  • [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather sounds like a character vs someone in real life. [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Mooreland, however, would be nice (or one of the other MN options).

Good luck!

I think it partly depends on where you live; I think Ambrose would fit right in in West London for example, and Zachariah in, say, Wisconsin! Not that they can’t work vice versa, though.

But overall I’d promote these ones, as I can imagine them on a little boy, although unusual:

Ambrose Montgomery
Amos River
Elden Bartholomew
Francis Fairweather
Ivo® Bartolomé
Wynn Stobbart
Zachariah Moorland

In most cases a middle name will just be a middle name, so it’s a great opportunity to use an unusual, guilty pleasure type of name in that spot. Francis Fairweather, for example - I think it sounds great! It and Ambrose Montgomery are the nicest on the list, in my opinion :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

I think I make that 6 votes each to [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] and [name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u].
5 votes to [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Moorland.
4 to [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather, [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] Bartolomé, and [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart.
3 to [name_m]Elden[/name_m] [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m].
2 to [name_u]Devin[/name_u] [name_m]Marceau[/name_m] and [name_m]Eames[/name_m] [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m].
1 to [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Wilde and [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Hart[/name_m].
And no votes for [name_m]Eldred[/name_m] [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] or [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] Meriwether.

So I’ll think about promoting [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m] and [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] for sure! Maybe I need a different combo with [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] as I do love it as a middle name for a boy.

To answer some of your comments / questions…

Fairweather seems extremely polarising - everyone seems to either love or hate it! I’m at least glad that I’m not the only one that likes it! [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Meriwether is a great suggestion too, thanks for that.

Stobbart is a family name, pronounced STOW-bart (first syllable like stowaway).

[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] is also a family name (as is [name_m]Hezekiah[/name_m]!), but I agree it might be a bit much to use as a first.

I currently live in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] but have moved around a LOT so location is not that important to me.

As far as I’m aware, [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] can be pronounced either EYE-vo or EE-vo. I prefer the former, but don’t mind the latter.

I think a lot of these are usable
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]
[name_m]Amos[/name_m] [name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Devin[/name_u] [name_m]Marceau[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Wilde
[name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] Moorland

I would definitely promote [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] as a genuine possibility. [name_u]Francis[/name_u] Fairweather is cool too, especially with the nickname [name_u]Franky[/name_u].

[name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Wilde and [name_u]Wynn[/name_u] Stobbart! They could be brothers