Which spelling: Juliet or Juliette?

See the results of this poll: Which spelling do you prefer?

Respondents: 79 (This poll is closed)

• Juliet : 60 (76%)
  • Juliette: 19 (24%)

[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] looks SO pretty! :slight_smile:

I much prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I feel [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] is a bit too much, same with names like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Violette[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], etc. I think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] look more pleasing to the eye, more of a grown-up look. While the ette and belle endings look like they are trying too hard and off balance.

[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] is not “too much”. It is [name_m]French[/name_m]. I’m [name_m]French[/name_m], and I find that offensive. Not to mention you list other [name_m]French[/name_m] names like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] and say they are "trying too hard and “off balance”. I’m sorry, but that’s so offensive to [name_m]French[/name_m] people. I have relatives and friends - including my 3 year old niece - with the names [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], and [name_f]Violette[/name_f]… and I’m planning on naming my daughter [name_f]Violette[/name_f].

Tant pis - vous etes ignorant!!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] lululemonmee. I think it really depends on what you want to pair the name with! Either in combo, or in a sibset.

Some of the names in your signature are latin/romantic names, and others are anglo, germanic, greco, Hebrew, Arabic or English word names (that have been assimilated regardless of origin).

Latin/Romantic, which would look beautiful and proper in combination, or in a sibset with, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]:
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]/[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]

Anglo, Arabic, English word names, etc., which would look beautiful and proper in combination, or in a sibset with, [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]:
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

Crossovers that works in combo/sibset with either [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]:

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] (but [name_f]Anabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] is better in combo/sibset with [name_f]Juliette[/name_f])
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (but [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is better in combo/sibset with [name_f]Juliette[/name_f])
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]/[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (works fine with [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], but I strongly prefer [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], just because I pronounce [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] with a bit of a [name_m]French[/name_m] accent)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

I apologize if my opinion makes you feel so offended. I definitely do not want to offend anyone. It is my opinion. I am not [name_m]French[/name_m] and do not live in [name_f]France[/name_f]. My statement is my opinion. Everyone has opinions. I’m sure there are people with strong opinions about popular American names. It is their opinion. I will not be offended by their opinions. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like I wouldn’t be offended if someone stated they preferred the look and style of British clothing designs over American style, etc. It is an opinion.

1 Like

I selected [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I think both options are absolutely beautiful, but I picked [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] solely because I think that that’s the way most people would spell it (at least where I’m from.) That way, she wouldn’t have to spend her whole life introducing herself as “[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] with two t’s.”

Both are fine choices, but I slightly prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f], for sure. I like the sweet simplicity of the original spelling. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] just seems overdone, imo.

I prefer the original [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] over the anglicized [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. However, my style is usually more European overall. Both are nice.

I prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].

When I see [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] I don’t know if I should say JOO-li-et or Jooli-ET.
With the latter pronounciation, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] works too.
If you want to say JOO-li-et, it conflicts with the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling.

I prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] as a FN and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] as a MN. I’m a bit weird like that :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn’t tell you why, I just like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] a bit more.

The same goes with [name_f]Claire[/name_f]/[name_u]Clare[/name_u] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]/[name_f]Elinor[/name_f]; all versions are genuine and look “right” but it’s a personal gut feeling.

Both spellings are lovely, but I prefer [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]- it looks more classic and elegant to me.

I like the [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] spelling a tad bit more!

I prefer [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]. It looks more feminine to me.