which spelling?

I’ve been lovin on the name [name]Sonia[/name] recently, but am unsure which spelling I like best:

[name]Sonia[/name]
[name]Sonja[/name]
[name]Sonya[/name]

What do think of each and why?

I actually like [name]Sonja[/name] best. The only [name]Sonja[/name]/[name]Sonya[/name]/[name]Sonia[/name] I know spells it with a J. I think it’s nice, though they all work well. I think my least favourite is with the Y. [name]Sonia[/name] might be the most practical, though.

[name]Sonja[/name]'s my favourite.

I prefer [name]Sonia[/name]. [name]Sonja[/name] just doesn’t look right, and [name]Sonya[/name] reminds me of [name]Tonya[/name], which I really dislike.

[name]Sonja[/name]! :slight_smile:

I have a huge thing for the weird-but-authentic Eastern European names (think Gracja, Lilija, [name]Zenobia[/name], [name]Nadezhda[/name], etc.), and [name]Sonja[/name] has the same charm for me. [name]Every[/name] time I see [name]Sonia[/name] I want to say soh-NEE-ah or [name]SON[/name]-ee-ah, not SONE-yah/SAWN-yah… And [name]Sonya[/name] is fine but the “Y” looks more trendy than the “J” to me. If you want to avoid the slightly confusing (to some) “J”, I think [name]Sonya[/name] would be a great alternative.

I like [name]Sonia[/name].

[name]Sonja[/name] is my favourite too! It makes me think of [name]Queen[/name] [name]Sonja[/name] of Norway (:

[name]Sonia[/name] and [name]Sonya[/name] for some reason look very futuristic to me. Not in a bad way, but I still prefer [name]Sonja[/name].

1 [name]Sonia[/name] - looks more sophisticated and polished to me

2 [name]Sonja[/name] - if you want the Scandinavian version, this is the one for you! [name]One[/name] issue: would some people pronounce it “son-jah” instead of “son-yah”.

3 [name]Sonya[/name] - I don’t care for this phonetic spelling.

Thanks for the input!
Like lucialucentum the only woman I’ve known with this name also spelled it with a ‘j’. I do really like the [name]Sonja[/name] spelling (seems more “real” for that reason i guess), but think [name]Sonia[/name] is a little cleaner looking. Can’t pick a favorite between the two!

I prefer [name]Sonja[/name] for the same reason as most - I’ve only ever known one woman by the name and this was her spelling.
Next favorite is [name]Sonya[/name]. Has kind of the same look as [name]Sonja[/name].
[name]Sonia[/name] is my least favorite. Looks like it’s trying to be too modern to me.

My favorite is [name]Sonya[/name], because it’s the way my grandmother’s name is spelled. I don’t understand the comment about the “Y” being “trendy” when it’s been an accepted spelling of the name for decades (at least since 1938, when my grandma was born). [name]Sonja[/name] would be my second favorite, with [name]Sonia[/name] in third. The only other person I know with the name besides my grandma actually spells it Sonjia, which I definitely don’t care for.