Which Weird Name?

In other words, could you please rank these? And why did you rank them like you did? :slight_smile:

[name_f]Tippi[/name_f]
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Charity[/name_f]
[name_f]Delight[/name_f]
Hopeful
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] ā€“ I think this is so lovely
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ā€“ classic and beautiful, prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] spelling.
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] ā€“ Intriguing, different, love the references
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] ā€“ not my style, but from here on the list gets very far away from my style and well into not liking so much.
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€“ Not bad, just sounds ā€¦ a little malicious to me for some reason.
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] ā€“ Cute. It would be more accessible for me if I didnā€™t associate it with the invasive weed here.
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]Pru[/name_f] is a cute nickname, but then thereā€™s [name_f]Prune[/name_f] in there which isnā€™t very flattering.
[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] ā€“ very nicknamey and cutesy. Reminds me of [name_f]Pippi[/name_f].
[name_f]Charity[/name_f], [name_f]Delight[/name_f], Hopeful ā€“ all these are equally disliked. [name_f]Delight[/name_f] sounds like something youā€™d find for the name of a desert on a diner menu (Brownie [name_f]Delight[/name_f]!) and Hopeful I prefer as just [name_f]Hope[/name_f]. Hopeful is an adjective and with some rare exceptions I only think word names should be nouns. Otherwise itā€™s too descriptive. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite virtue name is [name_f]Clarity[/name_f].

I love pretty much all of these!

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - love this, probably the only one Iā€™d consider using. However itā€™s really popular in the UK so I wouldnā€™t.
[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] - [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Tippi[/name_f]! Such a guilty pleasure of mine, it reminds me of [name_f]Tippi[/name_f] Hedren obviously but also of this little girl

[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] - growing up my auntā€™s dog was named [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], and as lovely as she was, this is slightly tainted for me now. I do think itā€™s pretty though, and Iā€™d suggest [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]?
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - pretty and Welsh
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] - reminds me of [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f], love this.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - a bit dull but lovely. Iā€™m really liking [name_f]Betsan[/name_f] at the minute, and love itā€™s other nicknames
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€ - I know a few Rowenas, I really like it. [name_f]Ro[/name_f] is adorable.
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] - I love this for some reason, it sounds incredibly old-fashioned English to meā€¦ like country gardens and eveā€™s pudding.

[name_f]Charity[/name_f] - NO.
[name_f]Delight[/name_f] - NO.
Hopeful - NO.

[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€ I also like Rowie.
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] I like, but itā€™s a cocktail.

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] Like it, but I wouldnā€™t use unless part of my heritage.
[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] Like it as a NN, but Iā€™d want a full name.
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] Nah. [name_f]Prunella[/name_f] from [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] was snobby.
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] Again, needs a full name.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Bores me.

[name_f]Charity[/name_f]
[name_f]Delight[/name_f]
Hopeful just no.

The usability of the names on your lists varies considerably.

First Names

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - soft, feminine and magical
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - classic and timeless with loads of nn options
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] - lovely Spanish name with a wonderful meaning of ā€œdoveā€ (symbol of peace)
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€ - an underused Welsh charmer
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - another Welsh gem

Middle Name Only

[name_f]Charity[/name_f] - dated
[name_f]Delight[/name_f] - this word comes with sexual connotations
Hopeful - strange for a first name. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] maybe but Hopeful?
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] - too cutesy

Nickname Only

[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] - a good name for a baby but not suitable for an adult

Unusable

[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] - a frilly dressing up of the word ā€œ[name_f]Prune[/name_f]ā€ wouldnā€™t make a girl feel any more attractive.

Like:
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] - This has always sounded like a water name to me. Very strong and lovely.
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - Short, but sweet. It is attractive on paper and fun to say out loud.
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - I like the idea of ā€œ[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]ā€ as a nn.
Tippy - Cute and childish, but I think it could grow with the right girl.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - Classic and sturdy, but less than exciting.

Dislike:
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] - Too cutesy and sounds like [name_f]Pansy[/name_f].
Hopeful - I feel like these sorts of names come from simple minded parents. Itā€™s not terrible, but why?
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] - Unattractive sound and spelling.
[name_f]Charity[/name_f] - Again, not terrible (though dated). I just donā€™t see why you might use this.
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] - Sounds like chocolate spread, but with prunes.
[name_f]Delight[/name_f] - Okay, this one is terrible. I first thought of Turkish [name_f]Delight[/name_f], then I imagined it on a girl and immediately began envisioning the jokes that boys would share.

In other words, could you please rank these? And why did you rank them like you did?

[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] is okay also [name_f]Rosella[/name_f]/[name_f]Rozella[/name_f] with the ā€˜roā€™ part could be acceptable

paloma yes also pandoraā€¦

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] yes

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] if you like it if you dont live in wales - forever correctingā€¦

[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] nice if you have a loner name i think better as a nicknameā€¦

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]- eliza, [name_f]Liza[/name_f], libby, lizzy, beth all good nicknamesā€¦

Please ignore [name_f]Delight[/name_f]. I just took it off my list. :slight_smile:

Normally I would have said no to [name_f]Prunella[/name_f] but it is a legit rare fairytale name and [name_f]Pru[/name_f] is a very cute nickname.
I would, however, say no to [name_f]Charity[/name_f], [name_f]Tippi[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Delight[/name_f] and Hopeful.

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] # 1 love this name, usable, nickname options are generous

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] are usable, come in 2nd place for usability, but sort of blah to me

[name_f]Charity[/name_f] is ok, for a virtue name, however, not as pretty to me as [name_f]Clarity[/name_f]

All the other names, I dislike because they are either unusable virtue word names, or prunella that has the word [name_f]Prune[/name_f] in it. [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] is ok in the middle maybe. The word names could be ok in the middle spot.

I mostly agree with what others have said. [name_f]Prunella[/name_f] just makes me think of the kids show [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].

I donā€™t mind [name_f]Hope[/name_f] as a name, even though it is nms, but Hopeful doesnā€™t seem as positive for some reason. It kind of makes me think of something lacking like, ā€œwell _____ is not great, but we are hopefulā€

[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] ā€“ Cute as a nickname, I wouldnā€™t be comfortable using as a full name
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] ā€“ With [name_f]Ella[/name_f] as a nickname, cute, but [name_f]Prunella[/name_f] just reminds me of prunes (yucky!)
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite on this listā€¦spunky, charming
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] ā€“ Had it not been for Twilight this name would be higher up on my list, but nonetheless itā€™s a cute name
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] ā€“ Not a fan
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ā€“ Not weird by any means, but full of tons of ā€œweirdā€ nicknamesā€¦my faves [name_f]Tibby[/name_f], [name_f]Zibby[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Bette[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Charity[/name_f] ā€“ Sounds less than classy
[name_f]Delight[/name_f] ā€“ Not a fanā€¦trying too hard
Hopeful ā€“ [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is precious, Hopeful is not
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] ā€“ Cute, not my favorite, but I dont hate it
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€ ā€“ I like a little better than [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], but itā€™s kind of the same vibe for me, donā€™t love it, donā€™t hate it

[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
Emse
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

These are the only ones I like (in this order). Sorry, but I agree with most pp about Hopeful/[name_f]Charity[/name_f]/[name_f]Delight[/name_f]. [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] and [name_f]Tippi[/name_f] would be wonderful nicknames!

This are the ones I donā€™t really like:
[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] - It makes me think of teapots for some reason. No idea why.
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] - The prune sound turns me off.
Hopeful - [name_f]Hope[/name_f] by itself is alright. Hopeful doesnā€™t sound or feel like a name.

And on to the ones I do like:
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] - my favourite name from your list! I love the meaning as well and how itā€™s more accessible and less prone to teasing then [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] is.
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - Nice but a little too common for me personally.

Names that are ok but donā€™t do much for me:
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Charity[/name_f]

1. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Ro[/name_f]ā€
  3. [name_f]Esme[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Charity[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]

The others donā€™t seem like usable names to me. Here are the reasons:
[name_f]Tippi[/name_f] - Sounds like tipsy ā€¦
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f] - WAYYYY to old fashioned and hoity toity. The only way it would work would be the nickname [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Delight[/name_f] and Hopeful - way too much of a virtue name. Also, as a teenager, I donā€™t think [name_f]Delight[/name_f] will love her nameā€¦