šŸ„° Which words that aren't in popular use as names would make great names?

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Which words would make great names? Only words, that arenā€™t popular as names yet.

Please select about 1-20 words that would make great names, in your opinion. Iā€™m not so much in for a name dump, but more in for a curated collection, if that makes sense (nothing against name dumps, I love them sometimes). If you want to tell me why, Iā€™d love to read your explanations :slight_smile:

I picked these:

[name_f]Serendipity[/name_f] - I love the way it sounds and the meaning. The drawback are the nicknames. Dippy isnā€™t great.

[name_u]Ever[/name_u] - I love how this feels so eternal and everlasting.

[name_f]Mercy[/name_f] - this was in popular use among Puritans. I think it has a cute and happy sound and a nice meaning.

[name_f]Prudence[/name_f] - I think this is actually cool. The meaning is good, it sounds pretty. The only problem is the potential nickname of ā€œPrudeā€.

[name_u]Story[/name_u] - I feel like this should be more popular. It has a good meaning and sounds perfect as a name and it isnā€™t so different from [name_f]Paige[/name_f] when you think about it.

[name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] - I think that this is cool and sounds pretty. I like [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] too, but [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] is appealing.

[name_u]Winter[/name_u] - I know it is getting there, more popular every year. I love the season of [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and think it makes a great name, also for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby.

[name_f]Amity[/name_f] - friendly, happy, good meaning.

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] - this sounds so pretty and comes with the cute nickname of [name_u]Laney[/name_u]. I like [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] too, but for many people it might sound old fashioned. [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is more modern.

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - beautiful meaning. I know it was somewhat common in the UK, but never went anywhere in the US.

3 Likes

[name_f]Serendipity[/name_f] could be called [name_f]Sera[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], or [name_u]Ren[/name_u].

[name_m]Petrichor[/name_m]- cool nature word with fun nickname options (my favorite is Petra).
[name_f]Peridot[/name_f] and [name_f]Emerald[/name_f]- underused gemstone names with good nickname options so they feel wearable, especially [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] with the very familiar [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] as an option.
[name_u]January[/name_u]- this feels just as wearble as the other popular month names but gets slept on, maybe because not a lot of people enjoy that time of year but [name_f]Annie[/name_f] would be so cute as a nickname.
[name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] and [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u]- both are so pretty. They probably havenā€™t caught on due to length but I love them, especially [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u] because of special personal meaning.
[name_f]Pomegranate[/name_f]- saw this on a fruit name thread with the nn [name_f]Meg[/name_f] and thought it was adorable.

4 Likes

[name_f]Gorgeous[/name_f]! :slight_smile: [name_u]Meadowlark[/name_u] would make the coolest middle name.

1 Like

[name_f]Sibilance[/name_f] is my favorite word, called [name_u]Billie[/name_u]! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]!

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] that goes by [name_f]Pru[/name_f].

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] has long been a GP name for me. As is the [name_u]French[/name_u] variation of it, [name_f]Felicie[/name_f].

And I really like the name [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] as well. [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] Weld was a famous actress. [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] has the same feeling for me as [name_u]January[/name_u]. Which I think is cute but more of a mouthful and I wouldnā€™t want people to shorten it to [name_u]Jan[/name_u].

Hearing [name_f]Amity[/name_f] and [name_u]Story[/name_u] in my head as I read them reminded me of the name Arriety. Which isnā€™t actually a ā€œwordā€ name but rather a character from a story. But it has the same feel to me as others you mentioned.

I once knew two sisters named [name_f]Carnation[/name_f] and [name_f]Begonia[/name_f]. They were pretty cute.

And finally, as most of us know,
the Kardashians have really cornered the market on word names and, while I am not a fan of many, I am often curious what they will come up with next, and think at least they are inspiring creativity. If I can remember them all, the word names they have given side of their children are: [name_u]North[/name_u], [name_u]Chicago[/name_u], [name_u]Saint[/name_u], [name_u]Psalm[/name_u], [name_u]True[/name_u], [name_u]Stormy[/name_u], [name_u]Aire[/name_u], [name_u]Dream[/name_u], [name_u]Reign[/name_u], [name_u]Dash[/name_u], [name_u]Scotland[/name_u]. No guessing what could be next!

1 Like

I love

[name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_u]January[/name_u]
[name_u]October[/name_u]
[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]
[name_u]November[/name_u]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_u]Cove[/name_u]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Felicie[/name_f] and [name_f]Arrietty[/name_f]!

I donā€™t like reality TV, so for me the Kardashians kind of ruin the names, but I guess they become more popular in general.

I do like [name_u]Stormy[/name_u] and [name_u]True[/name_u] and I kind of like [name_u]Dream[/name_u]. I only associate the latter strongly with the Kardashians, though.

1 Like

[name_u]Zenith[/name_u], [name_u]Solstice[/name_u], Cipher.

2 Likes

Rosefinch - A bird name that could add a cool edge to the classic [name_u]Rose[/name_u]!

[name_f]Music[/name_f] - Out there, yes, but I like the sound and it has the approachable nickname [name_u]Micky[/name_u]!

[name_u]Sunrise[/name_u] - With the popularity of [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] as a nickname, why not [name_u]Sunrise[/name_u]?

[name_u]Moon[/name_u] - Thereā€™s something really elegant about it. I had a university professor with the name and she got a lot of compliments on it!

3 Likes

Hard to narrow down, but here are some of my favorites:

[name_f]Calico[/name_f] ā€“ a cat, but thatā€™s kind of cute? Has the up-and-coming -o ending and fun nns [name_f]Callie[/name_f] and [name_u]Coco[/name_u].

[name_f]Clarity[/name_f] ā€“ the nn [name_u]Clare[/name_u] makes it more approachable, and Iā€™ve known a [name_f]Charity[/name_f] or two.

[name_f]Evening[/name_f] ā€“ nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]! I just think it has a pretty sound as well.

[name_u]Larkspur[/name_u] ā€“ why not do a double nature name with [name_u]Lark[/name_u] (bird) and [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u] (flower)?!

[name_f]Saga[/name_f] ā€“ an established Norse mythological name, but also refers to a story

[name_f]Sojourner[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]Sojourner[/name_f] [name_u]Truth[/name_u], and I love the spiritual concept of a sojourn.

[name_u]Solace[/name_u] ā€“ [name_u]Love[/name_u] this for any gender; used among the Puritans as well.

[name_u]Tempest[/name_u] ā€“ the storm association may not be the best, but it also feels literary to me with the Shakespearian connection. Plus, nns [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f]?

2 Likes

[name_f]Evening[/name_f] is pretty! I know a [name_f]Clarity[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_u]Sunrise[/name_u] is gorgeous!

I love a lot of word names, but Iā€™ll just share my top few loves!

[name_u]Vision[/name_u] - It has so many meanings, all lovely. A dreamlike sight, or a beautiful person, or an ideal plan. Drawback for it as a name isā€¦ what if the child hasnā€™t got good eyesight?

[name_u]Favor[/name_u] - Again just beautiful meaning. A kindness done for another person. [name_f]Effie[/name_f] (from F initial) makes a good nickname to me.

[name_u]Merit[/name_u] - [name_u]Strong[/name_u] and sturdy with a smart meaning. [name_u]Merry[/name_u] makes a warm nickname, and everything about the full name is so loving to me!

More goods:
[name_f]Tuppence[/name_f]
[name_f]Modesty[/name_f] (too much to wear for real)
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_f]Beloved[/name_f]
[name_u]Blythe[/name_u]
[name_f]Darling[/name_f]
[name_m]Plenty[/name_m]

3 Likes

I have quite a few:

[name_u]Lazuli[/name_u] - itā€™s a gemstone name, still a word to me.
Aeonian
Lunisolace
[name_u]Meridian[/name_u]
[name_u]Dittany[/name_u] - okay, I have a lot of nature names on this list
Apocynthion
[name_u]Pepper[/name_u]
Opalescence
Moth
[name_f]Vanity[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]
Austice - it is made up but weā€™re going to count it as a word
Carnage
[name_f]Ginger[/name_f]

a bit messed up, sorry for that!

3 Likes

Enjoying yours - [name_f]Serendipity[/name_f] nn [name_u]Pip[/name_u], [name_f]Sera[/name_f], [name_u]Seren[/name_u], [name_u]Ren[/name_u], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] would be cute! I know a [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] ā€˜Prueā€™, have met a [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] and I like [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_u]Ever[/name_u], [name_f]Amity[/name_f] and [name_u]Lane[/name_u] too!

Some I like at the moment:

[name_u]Kestrel[/name_u] ā†’ I like the warm rugged sound, itā€™s similarity to others I like (Keziah, [name_u]Kerrigan[/name_u], [name_m]Kester[/name_m], also the end of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and Hazel), the bird connection

[name_u]Sunset[/name_u] ā†’ probably a bit much, but Iā€™d love to hear it used. It has nice imagery and I like the nicknames [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] and [name_f]Etta[/name_f]

[name_f]Tansy[/name_f] ā†’ a sweet flower name with an appealing meaning

[name_u]Camber[/name_u] ā†’ maybe it doesnā€™t have the best meaning, but also not really bad - kind of just there. Still, I love the sound - rugged, bright and sweet

[name_u]Glow[/name_u] ā†’ a warm, bright word, with positive imagery and I like how it could be a nickname for [name_f]Gloria[/name_f], but is also a name in its own right

1 Like

I love [name_u]Sunset[/name_u] and [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]!

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised [name_f]Serenity[/name_f] isnā€™t more popular, because imo it has a beautiful meaning and sound.

[name_u]Larkspur[/name_u] is a fantastic botanical one, but I guess itā€™s a little too much for some peopleā€™s tastes. But itā€™s very nice and has the easy nickname of [name_u]Lark[/name_u]. [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] is another underrated botanical name. [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f], too.

[name_u]Teal[/name_u] is another very cool one. Thereā€™s a Broadway actress named [name_u]Teal[/name_u] Wicks, and ever since I heard of her I thought it was a really cool name. Somewhere between edgy and artistic vibes.

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] has a lovely meaning to me as well. I think it would fit in. [name_f]Sonata[/name_f] would also be nice.

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] sounds very strong and has an awesome meaning.

[name_f]Maple[/name_f] is a nice alternative to the more popular [name_f]Mable[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], with cottagecore vibes.

[name_u]Kestrel[/name_u] has great untapped potential, especially with the popularity of bird names right now.

I love [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as a middle name. I once saw the combo [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] on here and I still think sometimes about how lovely it sounds.

[name_f]Aristeia[/name_f] is a very grand sounding poetic term with admirable meaning.

Iā€™ve seen a few berries mention [name_f]Selkie[/name_f] on the forums, and I could see it getting some use later down the line as general naming styles continue to get braver.

[name_f]Arabesque[/name_f] is also brave yet beautiful.

Last one, [name_f]Valkyrie[/name_f] is so cool, yet has the familiarity of sound-alike [name_f]Valerie[/name_f].

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always liked [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] too.

These are not necessarily favorites of mine, but your list made me think of:

[name_u]Bristol[/name_u]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_u]Legend[/name_u]
[name_u]Lotus[/name_u]
[name_u]Loyalty[/name_u]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Nirvana[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_u]Page[/name_u]