Which would you Choose? Girls First Names

Ok so if you had these options which on out of the two or three choices would you choose out of each set??

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name]

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name]

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name]

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name]

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name]

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name]

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name]

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name]

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name]

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name]

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name]

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name]

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name]

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name]

Please respond even if you don’t like the names and please explain why if you have time. Thanks!!

Some of these are really not my style, but these are the answers I’d give if I HAD to choose one.

1. Oaklyn - [name]Gun[/name] to my head, I prefer this to Acelyn or Lakelyn but I still am not a big fan. I’d much prefer [name]Oakley[/name] or [name]Lachlan[/name], and even then only for boys.

2. [name]Luna[/name] - Much prettier than Lumen. A lumen in anatomy is the space inside a tubular structure like a blood vessel or intestine. Gross. If you’re going for the term that measures units of light I could see why, but if you MUST use it I’d go with just Lumi, not full name Lumen.

3. [name]Alba[/name] - Pretty, and unusual. I think of the little girl in the Time [name]Traveler[/name]'s Wife, but also [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Alba[/name]. [name]Alta[/name] seems incomplete to me, like someone was trying to write Altar and forgot the R.

4. [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] - Cute.

5. [name]Starla[/name] - Much prefer [name]Stella[/name], but in this case [name]Starla[/name] wins out over [name]Skyla[/name]. As with [name]Alta[/name] I feel like someone forgot the R.

6. [name]Teagan[/name] - A little trendy, but very sweet. [name]Torrance[/name] I don’t like at all, it reminds me of the word Torrid, like a torrid affair. Also vaguely like the word torture.

7. [name]Scout[/name] - Nice, spunky, sweet, with a literary connection. I love it! [name]Fifer[/name] is okay, but it’s very lispy and hard to say. Prefer [name]Piper[/name].

8. [name]Piper[/name] - I really like this. [name]Petra[/name] is okay, but I hear “petrified” whenever I say it.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] - Beautiful name! I don’t like [name]Angelica[/name] because I think of the obnoxious little girl from the cartoon The Rugrats, but [name]Angelina[/name] is nice.

10. [name]Rosalind[/name] - I never know how many [name]Ro[/name]'s to put in [name]Aurora[/name], it just seems to go on forever. It’s pretty, though, and very princessy - which is a plus if you like that. Personally I think [name]Rosalind[/name] is much prettier, sturdier and ages better.

11. [name]Aster[/name] - Very pretty flower name if a little harsh, which personally I don’t mind. [name]Raven[/name] reminds me of another cartoon character.

12. [name]Elektra[/name] - [name]Elektra[/name] is pretty, I prefer it spelled [name]Electra[/name]. I wouldn’t use it because again, I hear “electrified” but that’s probably just me. [name]Storm[/name] I dislike, sorry.

13. [name]Jada[/name] - Tough one, actually. I like the idea of [name]Echo[/name] better, but I knew a dog named [name]Echo[/name] and every time the dog was mentioned there was a whole exchange of “Who?” “[name]Echo[/name].” “Who?” “[name]Echo[/name]!” and then everyone laughed. [name]Jada[/name] is probably easier to live with, so my vote goes to [name]Jada[/name].

14. [name]Rogue[/name] - Again, gun to my head, I say [name]Rogue[/name]. Not a name I would be comfortable using on a child, [name]IMO[/name], because being a rogue has negative connotations, but the NN [name]Ro[/name] would be cute. I’d rather be named [name]Rogue[/name] than [name]Americus[/name] - which is the name of a little girl in a movie I saw, Where the Heart Is, where her mom is fifteen and gives birth in a [name]Wal[/name] [name]Mart[/name] after living there secretly for several months.

15. [name]Anniston[/name] - Not a big fan of either, but [name]Anniston[/name] is much better than [name]Nevaeh[/name].

16. Solace - I debated these two for a while but in the end it came down to Solace for two reasons. 1, because I think the nickname Soli is adorable. 2, because [name]Waverly[/name] will be associated with Wizards of [name]Waverly[/name] Place. I don’t know if you live in the USA, but it’s big in my part of the US. I think it’s big everywhere.

17. [name]Hermione[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name, especially for the Shakespearean connotation, but you will probably get asked if it’s after the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character a lot. If that’s why, then that’s fine too! [name]Thea[/name] is also great.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn: Probably Oaklyn, but i much prefer [name]Lake[/name] or [name]Oak[/name] on their own.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name]: [name]Luna[/name]! A favorite of mine and so beautiful!

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name]: I would choose [name]Alba[/name], because I really love the sound of it, but I think [name]Alta[/name] is lovely too.

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name]: Neither - I cannot get into any “ette” ending name.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]: I think I like [name]Skyla[/name] better, but i can see being seduced by using [name]Star[/name] as a nn for [name]Starla[/name]. What I don’t like about [name]Starla[/name] is its similarity to [name]Darla[/name], a name I really don’t like at all.

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name]: [name]Teagan[/name], hands down!

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name]: [name]Scout[/name]!

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name]: [name]Petra[/name] - strong and feminine at the same time! love it!

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name]: [name]Lyra[/name] - I have a soft spot for this name, especially from the My Dark Materials trilogy of books my Pullman.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name]: [name]Rosalind[/name]. I like [name]Shakespeare[/name] :slight_smile:

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name]: [name]Aster[/name]! A fabulous, unusual flower name FTW!

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name]: Eh, not super fond of either, they seem a bit cheesy to me - probably [name]Storm[/name] if forced to pick. I like its androgyny.

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name]: [name]Echo[/name].

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name]: ugh, neither!

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]: [name]Don[/name]'t like these either - but if forced, [name]Neveah[/name].

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name]: Solace.

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name]: [name]Thea[/name], but I think they actually work well together -[name]Thea[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] anyone?

There are many of my secret favorite names on this list!

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn - sorry but all of these names look made up and I don’t find them very attractive ( a word with “lyn” stuck on the end). There is a French name Aceline (means “noble at birth”) which would be a great alternative.

2. [name]Luna[/name] - Although it’s a trendy name, I think [name]Luna[/name] is preferable to Lumen,

3. [name]Alba[/name] - seems more of a name than [name]Alta[/name] (high).

4. [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] - I like the literary association. [name]Nicolette[/name] is a bit too overdone for me.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name] - neither name is my style. They look made up to me. What about [name]Starling[/name]?

6. [name]Teagan[/name] - This is very trendy along with sister [name]Reagan[/name] but at least it’s more feminine sounding than [name]Torrance[/name].

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name] - [name]Both[/name] are too cutesy.

8. [name]Petra[/name] - one of the most fascinating places in the world is [name]Petra[/name] in [name]Jordan[/name]. It’s also very rare.

9. [name]Angelica[/name] - I like the lushness of this name compared to [name]Lyra[/name].

10. [name]Rosalind[/name] - Classic and pretty. [name]Aurora[/name] is a little too princessy for me.

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] - Not a fan of either name. I can see the teasing potential of [name]Aster[/name] and [name]Raven[/name] isn’t my favourite bird name. Why not [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Lark[/name]?

12. [name]Elektra[/name] - Not my favourite mythological name but much more user friendly than [name]Storm[/name].

13. [name]Echo[/name] - I would never call a girl [name]Echo[/name] as a fn but it would make a quirky mn. I want any girl of mine to have a strong voice not a timid whisper!!!

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name] - Neither is attractive. [name]Both[/name] are over-the-top in my opinion.

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] - Neither name I find appealing. [name]Nevaeh[/name] is a non-name and [name]Anniston[/name] is too connected to Miss [name]Jennifer[/name].

16. Solace - One of the most beautiful virtue names! It leaves the pretentious [name]Waverly[/name] in the dust! :slight_smile:

17. [name]Thea[/name] - I prefer the longer [name]Theodora[/name] myself but [name]Thea[/name] is pretty too!

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn – I’d go with Lakelyn, just so I could call her Lakie, but I don’t like any of them.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name] – Lumi. Again, do not like these.

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name] – I think I’d go with [name]Alta[/name]. I don’t care for these, but I knew a very sweet old lady named [name]Alta[/name], and one of my students used to call my that as a nickname (cause I’m short and he thought he was being funny. ha ha ha)

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] – [name]Colette[/name]. [name]Nicolette[/name] is pretty, but I’d get tired of using it every day. [name]Coco[/name] sounds like a pet to me. [name]Colette[/name] falls in between.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name] – [name]Skyla[/name], but prefer [name]Skylar[/name] (or [name]Schuyler[/name])

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name] – [name]Teagan[/name], although I prefer [name]Tegan[/name]. [name]Torrance[/name] could be cute on the right person though!

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name] – [name]Scout[/name]. [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name]!

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name] – [name]Piper[/name] is near the top of my list.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name] – [name]Angelica[/name] I think. Not sure here.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name] – [name]Aurora[/name]

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] – [name]Raven[/name], because [name]Aster[/name] has the “ass” sound

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name] – [name]Elektra[/name], but prefer [name]Electra[/name] or [name]Electa[/name]

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name] – [name]Echo[/name]. love it

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name] – [name]Americus[/name]

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] – [name]Anniston[/name] because the other is horrible

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name] – [name]Waverly[/name]

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] – [name]Thea[/name]

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn – I’d prefer [name]Lake[/name] or [name]Oakley[/name], but in this case Lakelyn

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name] – [name]Luna[/name]

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name] – [name]Alba[/name], although I’d rather it be Fioralba

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] – [name]Coco[/name]

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name] – [name]Starla[/name]

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name] – [name]Teagan[/name]

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name] – [name]Fifer[/name]

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name] – [name]Piper[/name]

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name] – [name]Lyra[/name]

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name] – [name]Aurora[/name]

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] – [name]Raven[/name]

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name] – [name]Elektra[/name] (I really only like the [name]Electra[/name] and [name]Elettra[/name] spellings)

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name] – [name]Jada[/name]

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name] – [name]Rogue[/name] (who does this?)

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] – I’d rather shoot myself, but [name]Anniston[/name]

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name] – definitely [name]Waverly[/name] (ever since [name]Joy[/name] [name]Luck[/name] Club)

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] – probably [name]Thea[/name], just because of the HP association

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn - None. They all sound made up.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name] - [name]Luna[/name], though I’m not a huge fan of most Spanish word names unless you are a Spanish speaker. [name]Luna[/name] isn’t too bad though.

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name] - [name]Alta[/name] I guess. [name]Alba[/name] sounds masculine for some reason to me. Reminds me of [name]Albert[/name] I think.

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] - I kinda like both. [name]Nicolette[/name] has more nn potential, so I think that wins by a hair.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name] - Neither. Sounds like the parents are trying to hard to find a hippy name. [name]Skyler[/name]/[name]Skylar[/name] would be better, though it’s not a favorite.

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name] - [name]Teagan[/name] but I don’t like it because it’s one letter off from my hometown so it’s weird to me.

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name] - Neither. [name]Don[/name]'t like the sound of [name]Fifer[/name] and [name]Scout[/name] just isn’t a name to me.

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name] - [name]Piper[/name] by far. [name]Petra[/name] reminds me of tetra fish.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name] - [name]Angelica[/name], though I prefer other variations such as [name]Angela[/name] or [name]Angelina[/name] more.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name] - [name]Aurora[/name]. I like the sound of it better than [name]Rosalind[/name].

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] - [name]Aster[/name] is a flower (I don’t like most flower names) and [name]Raven[/name] is a bird. Really don’t like either.

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name] - Neither. [name]Elektra[/name] is spelled funny and reminds me of [name]Carmen[/name] [name]Electra[/name]. [name]Storm[/name] isn’t a name [name]IMO[/name].

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name] - [name]Jada[/name]. Though a like [name]Jade[/name] better.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name] - I’m a gamer so rogue just reminds me of a type of character I can play, not a name. Plus if you were really going to use it, it sounds masculine to me. [name]Americus[/name] is… I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of [name]America[/name] or variations of that as a name.

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] - [name]Anniston[/name] only because I hate hate hate [name]Neveah[/name].

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name] - Solace actually sounds nice. [name]Waverly[/name] reminds me of that Disney show… never seen it but heard of it.

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] - [name]Thea[/name]. [name]Every[/name] time I see [name]Hermione[/name] on a list I just think they’re huge [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] fans, even if that’s not the case.

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn – I don’t like any of these because they sound weird out loud and look made up. If I were forced to pick, Acelyn?

2. [name]Luna[/name] – [name]Luna[/name]. I love the nn Lumi but Lumen is weird. I know a Romanian girl named Luminista who goes by Lumi… So I pick [name]Luna[/name] because it sounds better and is a really lovely name.

3. [name]Alba[/name] – Neither are my style but they’re both fine names. I choose [name]Alba[/name].

4. [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] – This one was hard for me because I like both of them pretty equally. I would pick [name]Colette[/name] if I had to choose though. It has a lovely sound and I really dislike the name [name]Nicky[/name].

5. [name]Skyla[/name] – [name]Even[/name] though [name]Starr[/name] is my middle name, most names with [name]Star[/name] in them remind me of stripper names. I pick [name]Skyla[/name]. It’s a lovely feminine form of the boy’s name [name]Skyler[/name].

6. [name]Teagan[/name] – Neither is a girls name, sorry. If I were forced, [name]Teagan[/name].

7. [name]Fifer[/name] – [name]Fifer[/name]. [name]Scout[/name] seems like it wouldn’t age well to me. [name]Fifer[/name] I feel is a newer take on the older [name]Piper[/name], which I like. Although, [name]Fifer[/name] doesn’t seem like it will grow well either.

8. [name]Piper[/name] – I have a dear friend whose middle name is [name]Piper[/name], so I’m partial to it. Plus, I just like it better than [name]Petra[/name].

9. [name]Lyra[/name] – This is sort of a guilt pleasure name of mine. I love it’s soft sound.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] – I don’t like a lot of [name]Rose[/name] names so this one is the obvious one to me. It’s sweet and beautiful and has a spunky nn of [name]Rory[/name].

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] – I really don’t like either of these. [name]Aster[/name] has obvious teasing potential and [name]Raven[/name] isn’t very appealing bird name. I prefer [name]Wren[/name], [name]Lark[/name], or [name]Sparrow[/name].

12. [name]Elektra[/name] – If I were forced, [name]Elektra[/name] is more of a girl name but it sounds a little stripperish to me.

13. [name]Echo[/name] – Another one of my guilty pleasure names. I love it, in the middle.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] – Neither, but if I were forced, [name]Rogue[/name]. They both sound like super hero names to me…not in a good way.

15. [name]Anniston[/name] – I really hate [name]Nevaeh[/name]. It’s seems ridiculous to me to take a word and turn it backwards and call it a name. My mother wanted to name me [name]Angel[/name]. She didn’t turn it backwards and call me Legna…She called me [name]Angel[/name]. [name]Anniston[/name] is not the prettiest surname, but it’s vastly better than [name]Nevaeh[/name]. At least you get [name]Annie[/name] out of [name]Anniston[/name].

16. Solace – I guess Solace.

17. [name]Hermione[/name] – Beautiful! [name]Love[/name] this and wish more people would be brave enough to use it. Most people are going to immediately think [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] (I think of Greek Mythology) but she’s a great literary role model for little girls.

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn - I can’t choose. They’re all really bad, sorry.

2. [name]Luna[/name] - It’s sweet

3. [name]Alba[/name] - I actually think it’s adorable

4. [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] - [name]Coco[/name] is cute

5. [name]Skyla[/name] - Though I’d rather see [name]Schuyler[/name] on a boy

6. [name]Teagan[/name] - but I find it really unattractive

7. [name]Scout[/name] - I could never use it, but “To Kill A Mockingbird” is a wonderful

8. [name]Piper[/name] - [name]Petra[/name] sounds a bit pretentious to me.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]

10. [name]Aurora[/name] - This is growing on me. Quite sweet.

11. [name]Aster[/name] - I really love [name]Aster[/name]

12. [name]Elektra[/name] - What dantea said

13. [name]Jada[/name] - [name]Echo[/name] is a GP

14. [name]Americus[/name] - [name]Rogue[/name] seems cruel. This reminds me of the movie “Where the heart is”

15. [name]Anniston[/name] - I really dislike both, but this seems like the lesser of two evils

16. Solace - I’m not sure how I feel about this yet

17. [name]Hermione[/name] - Oh, how I wish I could use [name]Hermione[/name]

1. I suppose Lakelyn…not a huge fan of any of these three, but this one reminds me of [name]Lochlan[/name]; which I love.

2. Lumen…this sounds somehow ancient and yet not as familiar as [name]Luna[/name].

3. [name]Alba[/name]…

4. [name]Coco[/name]…my cousin named her oldest this, very endearing [name]IMO[/name], cute but in a punchy fashion

5. [name]Starla[/name]…even though it makes me think of the character from “[name]Napoleon[/name] Dynamite”

6. Lordy Loo, guess I’ll have to go with [name]Teagan[/name]…[name]Torrance[/name] is my cousin’s name, and well…it’s just ruined; so, [name]Teagan[/name]!

7. [name]Scout[/name]…I’ve loved this name for a long while, but then I’m a big fan of tom-boyish names for girls. [name]Fifer[/name] is good too. I even like the shorter [name]Fife[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of these names have loads of personality without loads of letters - short and spunky!

8. [name]Piper[/name]…there’s something about names ending in “er” that just grab my attention. There’s something kinetic about them, as if they’re living, breathing words. I like the energy this name contains.

9. [name]Lyra[/name]…I’m generally opposed to the use of names containing or consisting of “angel”. Not that there’s anything wrong with angels…just that I feel they’re over-used.

10. [name]Aurora[/name]…with the nn [name]Rory[/name]. However, I [name]DO[/name] like [name]Rosalind[/name]. One of the most romantic [name]Shakespeare[/name] character names for certain.

11. [name]Aster[/name]…I have a bad association with the name [name]Raven[/name]; so, I would definitely go with [name]Aster[/name] here. Plus, it of course, conjures up the obvious associations with wealth, class, and a lovely, by-gone era.

12. [name]Storm[/name]…I love X-Men; so obvious choice.

13. [name]Echo[/name]…Greek names should be given more credit, [name]IMO[/name]. I think [name]Echo[/name] would be a nice mn too; I could see it fitting in with many first name choices.

14. [name]Rogue[/name]…again, X-Men! [name]Americus[/name] was the baby’s name in “Where the Heart Is”, and I just would always be thinking, “the [name]Wal[/name]-[name]Mart[/name] baby!”

15. [name]Anniston[/name]…not my fave. Reminds me of [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Anniston[/name], who is not my favorite actress. But [name]Nevaeh[/name] is really terrible. No, truly.

16. Solace…only because [name]Waverly[/name] reminds me of a furniture brand and also makes me think of “waver” which makes me think of someone indecisive and unreliable.

17. [name]Hermione[/name]…hands down! Not just because of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]; it’s just a great name in general.

1. Lakelyn: I think it’s so cute! Oaklyn and Acelyn sound like boy names with -lyn tacked on, but Lakelyn sounds feminine.

2. Lumen nn. [name]Luna[/name]: Lumi just sounds wrong when I say it out loud.

3. [name]Alta[/name]: I don’t care for [name]Alba[/name]

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name]: A lot more elegant than [name]Colette[/name]

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]: [name]Love[/name] them both! I can’t decide!

6. [name]Teagan[/name]: [name]Torrance[/name] is wayyyy masculine.

7. [name]Fifer[/name]: I don’t think a “[name]Scout[/name]” would be taken too seriously in the real world.

8. [name]Petra[/name]: Same problem as [name]Scout[/name], only with [name]Piper[/name].

9. [name]Lyra[/name]: Amazing name!!

10. [name]Aurora[/name]: [name]Rosalind[/name] sounds old and the d at the end sounds unnecessary to me.

11. [name]Raven[/name]: Good idea to avoid names with As- at the beginning. Plus, [name]Aster[/name] sounds like a boy’s name.

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name]: Can’t decide…but I’d only use either as a middle.

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name]: [name]Echo[/name] as a MN, [name]Jada[/name] as a FN. I like them equally though.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name]: Neither. I don’t think either could work in real life. Lol.

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]: [name]Anniston[/name] by far. [name]Nevaeh[/name] = YUCK.

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name]: Solace…I just don’t like [name]Waverly[/name].

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name]: [name]Thea[/name]. Despite the overwhelming [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] reference, [name]Hermione[/name] just sounds like a disease.

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn - [name]Don[/name]'t like any, seem made up.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name] - [name]Luna[/name], seems more like a name to me than Lumen. Isn’t that a unit of light measurement or something like that?

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name] - [name]Alba[/name], because I think of tall in Spanish with [name]Alta[/name]

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name] - I like all of these. [name]Coco[/name] is super cute.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name] - [name]Skyla[/name] is nice.

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name] - I don’t like either of these, but I prefer [name]Teagan[/name]. [name]Torrance[/name] doesn’t seem like a real name to me.

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name] - Not a fan of either.

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name] - I like both of these. Pretty much equally. I would choose [name]Petra[/name] because [name]Piper[/name]'s becoming popular, but that’s just me.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name] - I like [name]Lyra[/name]. I know a 4yo [name]Lyra[/name] (pronounced Lie-ra), and she’s super cute.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name] - [name]Aurora[/name] is much prettier to me than [name]Rosalind[/name]. Also, [name]Rosalind[/name] has an older feel to me.

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] - I kind of like [name]Aster[/name]. Not sure I’ve ever heard it before, but it has a nice sound.

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name] - uuuhhh, [name]Storm[/name]?

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name] - I prefer [name]Echo[/name]. It’s a little hippie-ish, but cool.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name] - yikes! Neither.

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like either, Not even sure how to compare because they’re so different in feel.

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name] - Solace, because [name]Waverly[/name] was a subway stop in [name]Sydney[/name] where I used to live.

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] - I’ve always like [name]Hermione[/name] as a name. Would be hard to choose it because of HP, but it’s an awesome name.

[QUOTE=youssarian;1347606]1) Good idea to avoid names with As- at the beginning.

Just curious, why is it a good idea to avoid A names?

1. Lakelyn- I really don’t like any of these choices, but if I HAD to choose it would be that

2. [name]Luna[/name]- much prettier although it reminds me of Lunatic. Plus Lumen is a piece of human anatomy, not very appealing.

3. [name]Alta[/name]- only because I associate [name]Alba[/name] with [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Alba[/name]

4. [name]Colette[/name]- [name]Nicolette[/name] sounds to similar to Nicorette Gum. [name]Do[/name] NOT like nn [name]CoCo[/name]

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]- [name]Starla[/name]- I don’t like any name with [name]Sky[/name] in it.

6. [name]Teagan[/name]- not sure if for a boy or a girl, but [name]Teagan[/name] sounds a tiny bit more feminine than [name]Torrence[/name]

7. [name]Fifer[/name]- [name]Scout[/name] sounds like a dogs name, [name]Fifer[/name] is more original

8. [name]Petra[/name]- very cool, [name]Piper[/name]'s been over used and [name]IMO[/name] out dated

9. [name]Angelica[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this name. [name]Lyra[/name] sounds too much like Liar.

10. [name]Aurora[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this name as well, much more feminine looking and sounding than [name]Rosalind[/name] and love the imagery

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name]- Neither. [name]Aster[/name] sounds too much like a couple of cuss words and [name]Raven[/name] is a bird with a history of being a bad omen

12. [name]Elektra[/name]- I wouldn’t name any kid after [name]Marvel[/name] comic book characters. I get a more positive vibe from [name]Elektra[/name] than i do [name]Storm[/name]

13. [name]Jada[/name]- no question. [name]Echo[/name] sounds like the name of a dolphin

14. [name]Rogue[/name]- I don’t think this choice needs much of an explanation, it was pretty obvious to me

15. [name]Anniston[/name]- only because I still don’t understand how [name]Neveah[/name] is pronounced.

16. [name]Waverly[/name]- i don’t think solitude is a very good thing to be named after.

17. [name]Thea[/name]- definately. Simple and beautiful, less trendy than [name]Hermione[/name]

[name]Just[/name] curious - why is it a good idea to avoid A names?

^ He said ‘As,’ not “A’s.” Names that start with ‘As,’ like [name]Astrid[/name] or Aslyn, can create puns with the word ‘ass.’ Teasing potential supreme.

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn-- Oaklyn. The double ‘l’ in Lakelyn sounds weird to me, and ‘Acelyn’ is just wacky. Still not a huge fan of Oaklyn, but at least it has a somewhat pleasant sound to it.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name]-- [name]Luna[/name] because it’s a real name.

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name]-- [name]Alba[/name]. Makes me think of [name]Albus[/name] Dumbledore!

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name]-- [name]Colette[/name]. ‘[name]Nicolette[/name]’ sounds too much like ‘nicorette’ to me.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]-- [name]Skyla[/name]. I love the sound of the word ‘sky’ so much. Although it does just sound like someone with a [name]Boston[/name] accent saying ‘[name]Skyler[/name].’

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name]-- [name]Teagan[/name]. [name]Torrance[/name] sounds far too overdramatic for a real-live human being. And too much like bit-torrents.

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name]-- [name]Scout[/name]. The “To Kill A Mockingbird” reference is cute.

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name]-- [name]Piper[/name]. I always thought it was kind of cute, though I’m not a major fan. [name]Petra[/name] just makes me think of the word ‘petrified’-- I have trouble seeing it as a name.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name]-- [name]Angelica[/name]. I don’t like [name]Lyra[/name] because I just hear ‘Leer-a.’

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name]-- This is SUCH a hard choice! I absolutely love both! I guess [name]Aurora[/name] wins by a hair because it’s so pretty and strong, but [name]Rosalind[/name] reminds me of the delightful heroine of “As You Like It.”

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name]-- [name]Raven[/name]. I agree with what Youssarian said about names that start with ‘as.’

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name]-- [name]Elektra[/name], because [name]Storm[/name] doesn’t sound at all pretty or feminine. Though there are the troubles with the whole ‘[name]Elektra[/name] complex’ thing.

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name]-- [name]Jada[/name]. Naming a kid ‘echo’ is like saying they’re only a pale reflection of the real thing.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name]-- [name]Americus[/name], I guess. [name]Rogue[/name] sounds like a good thing to name a future mass-murderer.

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]-- [name]Anniston[/name], although I don’t like it, either. I think [name]Nevaeh[/name] is the vilest of all names.

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name]-- [name]Waverly[/name]. It’s cute and quirky. Solace is nice, but it’s a bit of a demanding name.

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name]-- [name]Thea[/name]. It sounds smart, simple, and soft. I like the idea of the name ‘[name]Hermione[/name]’ better than the name itself.

1. Acelyn - I think it sounds a bit more delicate than the other choices. I’m curious if it would be pronouced “[name]Ace[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name]” or “[name]Ashlynn[/name].” I prefer the latter.

2. [name]Luna[/name] - I like the sound, plus it reminds me of [name]Luna[/name] Lovegood from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] and she always makes me laugh.

3. [name]Alba[/name] - Literary reference. It’s the name of [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Clare[/name]'s daughter in The Time [name]Traveler[/name]'s Wife (great book).

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] - I honestly don’t like either but [name]Colette[/name] just doesn’t sound pleasing to the ear.

5. [name]Skyla[/name] - Mostly because I like the name [name]Skye[/name]. But I feel like people would think you meant [name]Skyler[/name] but have an accent that makes it sound like [name]Skyla[/name]…

6. [name]Teagan[/name] - Huge fan of [name]Tegan[/name] and [name]Sara[/name]. Plus, [name]Torrance[/name] was [name]Kirsten[/name] Dunst’s character in Bring It On and I hate that movie with a passion.

7. [name]Scout[/name] - because I love To Kill A Mockingbird.

8. [name]Piper[/name] - Mostly because the name [name]Petra[/name] sounds like an elderly Greek woman to me.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the meaning behind it and it just sounds cool. [name]Angelica[/name] always reminds me of Rugrats.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] - a huge favorite of mine. I loved Disney’s Sleeping Beauty when I was a kid.

11. [name]Aster[/name] - I wouldn’t want people running around being like, “That’s so [name]Raven[/name]!” whenever my kid did something. (Same reason I would avoid [name]Miley[/name]…“She’s just being [name]Miley[/name]!”)

12. [name]Storm[/name] - X-Men reference!

13. [name]Echo[/name] - I really love the story behind [name]Echo[/name].

14. [name]Rogue[/name] - Another X-Men reference!

15. [name]Anniston[/name] - I’m sick to death of people naming their daughters [name]Nevaeh[/name]. It’s not clever; it’s obnoxious.

16. [name]Waverly[/name] - Makes me think of a little beach bum kid who surfs and listens to [name]Jason[/name] Mraz or something.

17. [name]Hermione[/name] - [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] reference! (Apparently I’m a nerd…) I really don’t like the name [name]Thea[/name] at all. Sounds like an old lady name.

1. Acelyn or Oaklyn or Lakelyn: I don’t think I would choose any of these; Acelyn sounds made-up (and not in a fun, creative way), and the other two sound like the names of subdivisions.

2. Lumen nn. Lumi or [name]Luna[/name]: I like [name]Luna[/name]! Lumi is cute, but [name]Luna[/name] has my heart.

3. [name]Alba[/name] or [name]Alta[/name]: I think [name]Alba[/name] is nice.

4. [name]Nicolette[/name] or [name]Colette[/name] nn. [name]Coco[/name]: I would probably pick [name]Nicolette[/name] here, but I don’t have strong feelings about either name.

5. [name]Starla[/name] or [name]Skyla[/name]: I know one of each, and [name]Skyla[/name] is much nicer, so [name]Skyla[/name].

6. [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Torrance[/name]: I like [name]Torrance[/name] better, but [name]Teagan[/name] is growing on me, too.

7. [name]Fifer[/name] or [name]Scout[/name]: [name]Scout[/name], I think? [name]Fifer[/name] feels incomplete somehow. [name]Scout[/name] has a nice literary reference.

8. [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Petra[/name]: Tough call, but [name]Piper[/name] is my choice. I think it’s fun and pretty.

9. [name]Lyra[/name] or [name]Angelica[/name]: [name]Lyra[/name], hands down. [name]Angelica[/name] is pretty enough, but I grew up with a lot of Angels/Angelas/Angies/Angelinas/Angelicas, and [name]Lyra[/name] is reeeeally pretty and fresh, too.

10. [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name]: [name]Aurora[/name] is so lovely! I like [name]Rosalind[/name], too, but between it and [name]Aurora[/name], I would go with [name]Aurora[/name].

11. [name]Aster[/name] or [name]Raven[/name]: My choice is [name]Raven[/name]. [name]Aster[/name] is nice, but the “As-” part is off-putting. [name]Raven[/name] is also nice, but it has a lot of pop-culture associations, like [name]Raven[/name]-[name]Symone[/name] or [name]Raven[/name] Darkholme, as well as mythological ones, so if those bother anyone, they shouldn’t use the name.

12. [name]Elektra[/name] or [name]Storm[/name]: Again, probably neither here. [name]Both[/name] are to tied to comic book heroines for me, and I wasn’t especially attached to either of them. (Though I might choose [name]Antigone[/name] in place of [name]Elektra[/name], a loose association because of the “[name]Electra[/name] complex” stemming from the original “[name]Oedipus[/name] complex,” lol.)

13. [name]Echo[/name] or [name]Jada[/name]: [name]Echo[/name] feels fresher out of these two choices.

14. [name]Rogue[/name] or [name]Americus[/name]: [name]Rogue[/name].

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]: Neither.

16. Solace or [name]Waverly[/name]: Solace.

17. [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name]: [name]Hermione[/name]! I love this name!

1. Lakelyn

2. [name]Luna[/name]

3. [name]Alba[/name]

4. [name]Nicolette[/name]

5. [name]Skyla[/name]

6. [name]Teagan[/name]

7. [name]Scout[/name]

8. [name]Petra[/name]

9. [name]Lyra[/name]

10. [name]Rosalind[/name]

11. [name]Aster[/name]

12. [name]Elektra[/name]

13. [name]Echo[/name]

14. [name]Rogue[/name]

15. [name]Nevaeh[/name]

16. Solace

17. [name]Thea[/name]

Acelyn - because it reminds me of [name]Adelyn[/name] and [name]Addison[/name], which are trendy GPs of mine.

[name]Luna[/name] - Lumen intrigues me, but I don’t like the sound of Lumi.

[name]Alba[/name] - even though I’m not a huge fan of [name]Alba[/name], I love [name]Alban[/name], and [name]Alta[/name] just reminds me of alto, Ulta, and altitude.

[name]Nicolette[/name] - one of my friends had a grandmother named [name]Nicolette[/name], nn [name]Cosette[/name], so [name]Colette[/name] just looks like a nn to me because of that. [name]Nicolette[/name] is lovely, though.

[name]Starla[/name] - I love [name]Schuyler[/name]/[name]Skyler[/name] for a boy, and [name]Skyla[/name] sounds like [name]Skyler[/name] said with a British accent to me, haha. There is a [name]Starla[/name] who goes to my church, though, and she’s lovely.

[name]Teagan[/name] - [name]Torrance[/name] sounds masculine to me.

[name]Fifer[/name] - [name]Scout[/name] is cute, but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Piper[/name], and [name]Fifer[/name] reminds me of that.

[name]Piper[/name] - again, just [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Piper[/name]! I hadn’t even looked ahead to see that this would be an option, lol. But if you’d have both on your list, I would go with [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Piper[/name]…

[name]Lyra[/name] - love [name]Lyra[/name]! [name]Angelica[/name] is cute, but I vastly prefer [name]Angelina[/name].

[name]Aurora[/name]! - I’m not a huge fan of [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosa[/name] names in general, and [name]Aurora[/name] is a personal favorite of mine. :slight_smile:

[name]Aster[/name]. [name]Raven[/name]'s not really my thing.

[name]Elektra[/name] - I’ve always had a thing for [name]Electra[/name]/[name]Elektra[/name]/[name]Elettra[/name]. [name]Storm[/name] just reminds me of that little baby whose parents won’t reveal if he/she is a boy/girl… I wouldn’t really want that association. :*(

[name]Echo[/name]! - it’s so out-there but I can’t help loving it. Besides, I had a friend who named her daughter [name]Echo[/name] [name]Monet[/name], and I thought that was the most beautiful name ever for such a long time.

[name]Americus[/name] - boy or girl? I like [name]Americus[/name] better regardless, but I think [name]America[/name] is much better for a girl.

[name]Anniston[/name] by a mile. I’m not a fan of [name]Nevaeh[/name] at all. While I don’t like [name]Anniston[/name], it does have the cute nn of [name]Annie[/name], and I think it ages much better and is a lot more respectable than [name]Nevaeh[/name] is.

[name]Waverly[/name]! - I know of this little girl whose name is [name]Waverly[/name]–she’s just the cutest! I think it’s so spunky and cute.

[name]Thea[/name] - I like both, but I don’t think I’d have the guts to use [name]Hermione[/name]! [name]Thea[/name] is lovely.