Whimsical, smart AND easy to 'wear'??

I’m mostly a lurker here, but I’m due in late Nov/early Dec with our first baby, and after culling my name list down from hundreds, I’m finally, finally ready to get some opinions from you wise Berries.

Most of these have some sort of familial or sentimental meaning to us, but I’m having a hard time coming up with a combo that strikes the right balance of serious, sweet, whimsical, not too popular, but not majorly difficult to spell or pronounce either, and a bit unexpected too. Help!
I’m open to other name suggestions, although after years of compiling name lists for fun it feels like I’ve heard them all. I know that’s absolutely not true though!!

A couple of other issues in the mix:
This baby will have my husband’s last name, which sounds like Angstrom. It’s a great name, but to me it’s, well, a little clunky. Since the LN starts with a vowel, any FN ending in a vowel, especially an ‘ah’ sound, tends to rub me the wrong way. But there are a few names that I love so much that I might be willing to overlook that, like [name]Saskia[/name] and [name]Anthea[/name]. Or do i need to kiss them sweetly goodbye because of those pesky back to back vowels?

Also, in my perfect name-world the first name would have 3 syllables, the middle name 1, and the last has 2 syllables. For various reasons most of the 1 syllable middle name options have dropped off the list. Not many 2 syllable ones are there either. Is 3-3-2 too much?

Anyway, here’s our current shortlist. Thanks for reading!

First name contenders:
[name]Saskia[/name] -(I’ve loved this name for 20 years. Nickname could be [name]Kiki[/name]!)
Annegret - (It’s a [name]German[/name] ‘smush’ name that I can’t get out of my mind)
[name]Anthea[/name] - (soo pretty…)
[name]Sorrel[/name] -(from one of my fave books as a kid. I know some people think of horses though.)
[name]Beatrice[/name] -(getting too popular?)
[name]Caroline[/name] - (regal, great sound, but maybe not sparkly enough?)
[name]Margaret[/name] - (lots of family/sentimental value, but still not quite right)
[name]Linnea[/name] - (DH is more excited about this one)
[name]Anneliese[/name] -(very pretty, but has less ‘meaning’ to us)

Middle name possibilities
Larke
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]

Firstly, congratulations on your first child! I”m sure this is a very exciting time for you!
I love most of your list. I will try to make some combinations you might like :slight_smile:

[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] Angstrom
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom

[name]Anthea[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Anthea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] Angstrom
[name]Anthea[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] Angstrom
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] Angstrom

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] Angstrom
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] Angstrom
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] Angstrom
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name] Angstrom
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Linnea[/name] Angstrom
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name] Angstrom

[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] Angstrom
[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] Angstrom

My favourites are [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Linnea[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name]! (Sorry I find it hard to narrow down :p)

My favourite of your first names is [name]Margaret[/name], simply because it is a wonderful sophisticated name with many, many nickname options that also make it suitable for a baby or child as well as an adult :slight_smile:

Best of luck! xx

[name]Saskia[/name] seems to be your favorite, so I would go with that. I really love the flow of [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Saskia[/name] livens up down-to-earth [name]Margaret[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name] grounds whimsical [name]Saskia[/name]. I can see this working for any age and profession.

[name]Saskia[/name] isn’t my favorite so I’m not going to talk about it much. If you love it, you should use it.

Initially my favorite from your list was [name]Anthea[/name] - I definitely see it as smart and whimsical and don’t imagine there would be tons of trouble with spelling/pronunciation. [name]Anthea[/name] Angstrom, though, is maybe a little too much A. The ending-beginning A isn’t too bad I don’t think, and the alliteration isn’t too bad, but together it maybe is too much.

So my new favorite from your list is [name]Beatrice[/name]. [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom is beautiful. I don’t think [name]Beatrice[/name] is going to become too popular. [name]Bea[/name] is such a fun nickname I think! To get the optimal 3-1-2, [name]Beatrice[/name] Larke Is lovely (I assume the e on Larke has meaning for you? otherwise, I’d leave it off). Longer middles would work too: [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] are my favorites.

Is [name]Rosemary[/name] relegated to the middle for any particular reason? If not, I think it could be a stellar choice for first name for you!

Good luck!

[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]! I love it! I don’t think that [name]Saskia[/name] is too “a” heavy, although I agree with pp that [name]Anthea[/name] probably is.

I also like:
[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] Larke
[name]Linnea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

Great Great names!

[name]Saskia[/name] is an unusual choice but if you’ve loved it for so long, don’t worry about the “a” ending. [name]Kiki[/name] Angstrom has a quirky vibe to it! [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] is a good combination. I don’t mind [name]Anthea[/name] either (Greek for “lady of the flowers”) but I prefer the name [name]Alethea[/name] (Greek for “one who is truthful”). [name]Sorrel[/name] Angstrom looks and sounds really good . [name]Linnea[/name] Angstrom has a soft sound to it. I love [name]Caroline[/name] but it doesn’t seem to flow well with your surname (it may be the “line” ending with the “ang” beginning) and the same goes for [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] (two tongue twisters! I feel like I have a lisp when I say them but that could just be because it’s late and I’m tired). I don’t like [name]Anneliese[/name] very much with Angstrom.
So my favs are [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Sorrel[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name], [name]Anthea[/name] [name]Lark[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name].

First name contenders:

[name]Saskia[/name] – I absolutely love [name]Saskia[/name]. I think it is so gorgeous. I actually really love the idea of [name]Saskia[/name] Angstrom, because it feels so… it’s unusual but still easy to say, and for some reason I just adore the idea of [name]Saskia[/name] Angstrom! I just can’t explain it. Yes, nicknames could also be: Sassy, [name]Kia[/name], Skia, Sas, and lots of others!
Annegret – I like Annegret a lot. I think it has that distinctly [name]German[/name] look, but it’s also not really all that difficult to pronounce. Annegret Angstrom fits rather well in my opinion, too. She could be called [name]Annie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Ann[/name]/[name]Anne[/name], [name]Grete[/name]… lots of different options here, and ones that are more ‘[name]German[/name]’ and others that are more ‘American’.
[name]Anthea[/name] – This is really gorgeous–especially after I read the meaning! I think it’s really sweet and inspiring. I see nothing wrong with [name]Anthea[/name] Angstrom, but I do prefer [name]Saskia[/name] Angstrom as a whole.
[name]Sorrel[/name] – This is really lovely. I think it’s so darling. [name]Sorrel[/name] is just so… nature-y, and I love that feel. I actually don’t think of horses; I think of cats (because of a book) and squirrels, and really wonderful memories. Might be a little difficult in the “professional” department, though.
[name]Beatrice[/name] – No, I don’t think it’s too popular. It is more popular than your other choices, but alas, I do not think it to be a problem. [name]Beatrix[/name] is also really lovely; and if you like [name]Beatrice[/name], you might like [name]Beitris[/name].
[name]Caroline[/name] – I really love [name]Caroline[/name]. I think it’s gorgeous, but if you’re not feeling it’s “sparkle”, then you might also like [name]Carolina[/name]. I used to not like [name]Carolina[/name] (care-oh-leena) but I’ve really started to love it!
[name]Margaret[/name] – I really, really love [name]Margaret[/name]. I think it’s so gorgeous. Again, you can use lots of nicknames: [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Margo[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], Magpie even!, and [name]Grete[/name].
[name]Linnea[/name] – I love [name]Linnea[/name]. I think it’s really pretty, and the flowers are stunning. So lovely.
[name]Anneliese[/name] – I’m not sure I like [name]Anneliese[/name] Angstrom, actually. I don’t love [name]Anneliese[/name], but I do think it is pretty.

Middle name possibilities:
Larke – I love Larke. Very pretty.
[name]Rosemary[/name] – I love [name]Rosemary[/name], but lately here I’m, personally, getting a bit tired of it. Obviously that’s just me, though!
[name]Eleanor[/name] – So, so lovely. I prefer [name]Elinor[/name], though, as far as spelling goes.
[name]Eugenia[/name] – Beautiful, but I prefer [name]Eugenie[/name].
[name]Margaret[/name] – Gorgeous!
[name]Beatrice[/name] – Beautiful; see above.

A word on [name]Sorrel[/name]- I actually know it as a drink (homemade, mmm), and it’s almost always full of alcohol. Not sure how often your world overlaps with that of the Caribbean but that’s where it’s well known.

For anyone curious: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/sorrel-drink/

Wow! Such great feedback - thank you all!

One note to add, in case it changes how any of you feel about the vowels, is that the last name sounds very close to Angstrom, but actually starts with an E.

kaybee
Somehow, when someone else puts together combos they make so much more sense than when I do it!
I agree that [name]Margaret[/name] is a fantastic name! It would also honor the memories of several people from both sides of our families, which I find really appealing. My one hesitation is that [name]Margaret[/name] feels so ‘solid’ to me, and part of me wants a slightly more fanciful first name. Lots of great nns though. Or maybe perfect in the middle. I’m on the fence, I guess!

villette
Yeah, [name]Saskia[/name] is definitely one of the front runners. And I love the way you’ve put your finger on why [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] might make the perfect combo. :slight_smile:

gwensmom
I do love [name]Anthea[/name], but the whole combo is very vowel heavy. Does the surname starting with E instead of A help that at all? I sort of think not, unfortunately.

I’ll explain about the ‘e’ on Larke: Larke is the Middle English spelling for lark, and it appears in The Canterbury Tales spelled that way - which has some meaning for us. The other reason is that, as my hubs keeps reminding me, achieving a successful pregnancy wasn’t always a “lark”, and to me the e at the end pushes it away from that interpretation of the word! It may be a stretch anyway, but there’s something about [name]Lark[/name]/Larke that I adore! (and I’ve always wanted an excuse to nn a little girl ‘[name]Birdie[/name]’. [name]Don[/name]'t know if it would stick, but I love the idea of it.)

As for [name]Rosemary[/name], my husband doesn’t love it in the front spot, partly because one of our close friends is named [name]Rose[/name]. [name]Rosemary[/name] combines the names of both my grandmothers though, so I refuse to give up on it.

tarat3232
Thanks!
And I hadn’t really put [name]Anneliese[/name] and [name]Eugenia[/name] together like that before - I like it!

mischa
[name]Alethea[/name]. I met someone named [name]Alethea[/name] recently. It’s gorgeous.
I agree with you about [name]Caroline[/name] and the Ang/Eng flow. It’s not quite right.

spiderweb
Gosh, you put into words so much of what I’m thinking/feeling about all these names! It’s almost eerie!
And “Magpie” as a nn for [name]Margaret[/name] - I love it!!!

jennifermariska
Fascinating! Thanks for the link.
My botanical associations with [name]Sorrel[/name] are mostly the herb/green, and I had no idea it was used in an Xmas drink. I may have to try that recipe in a few months… :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]!

From your first name list, I’d eliminate [name]Sorrel[/name], as it feels more suitable for a middle name. What do you nickname a [name]Sorrel[/name]? Sore? That doesn’t give me good images, honestly. Also, Annegret is very neat, but not so much with Angstrom. It’s a very, well, heavy name. If [name]Anneliese[/name] - I love it! - has less meaning for you, maybe it isn’t quite right. Also, you should both be equally excited about baby’s name, so maybe [name]Linnea[/name] isn’t right, either. I think [name]Caroline[/name] is so romantic and wonderful, as is [name]Margaret[/name]. Magpie is such a great nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] - good thinking, whoever came up with that! As someone who’s nickname is [name]Birdie[/name], I can appreciate a good bird name. You might also like [name]Marguerite[/name], as it has a bit more flair than simple [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Marguerite[/name] Angstrom doesn’t flow quite as well as [name]Margaret[/name], though. [name]Saskia[/name] is such a fun name, as is [name]Anthea[/name], but I don’t find them particularly easy to say, as someone else said. [name]Saskia[/name] Angstrom has an awkward sound with that A-A situation, but if you love it, use it! So, I guess [name]Beatrice[/name] Angstrom has the best flow, in my opinion, and [name]Bea[/name] - or [name]Birdie[/name]? - are great nicknames for [name]Beatrice[/name]. I don’t think it is getting too popular, no…

I would stick with a one- or two-syllable middle name, personally, because you really don’t want too heavy of a name. [name]Beatrice[/name] Larke is my favorite, then. [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is lovely, too, but you might want a bit more whimsy in the name. Honestly, if I were you, I’d consider [name]Beatrice[/name] Larkspur Angstrom - it pushes Larke even further over the edge! Got any [name]July[/name]'s you want to honor? Larkspur is one of the birth flowers…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I am a big fan of [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Annelise[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name]. I don’t think any of them lack sparkle or are too popular. I do like [name]Saskia[/name], but it’s definitely going a different path – perhaps you should wait and meet her before you commit to it. You never know, she may be 100% a [name]Saskia[/name].

For the most part I’m neither in love with, nor do I hate, the other names. Except [name]Sorrel[/name] sounds like morel to me – mushroom.

Wow, I really like your list.

[name]Saskia[/name] – I love this, and I think you should use it if you love it. I do find it a little hard to say with your last name (if I am prounouncing your LN correctly), but together they would still be quirky and cool, but also sophisticated, and very unexpected.

Annegret – My midwife is named Annegret and she gives this name energy for me, so I have a good association with it. I think it’s so lovely. I agree with lemon that it is a little heavy with your last name, but I still like it.

[name]Anthea[/name] – Very, very pretty. But I think it is a-heavy and to me it just doesn’t fit with your LN.

[name]Sorrel[/name] – another vote to eliminate this one. I have a lot of other associations with this word than a girl’s name, and it also reminds me of the words “sorrow” and “sorry.” I couldn’t use it myself.

[name]Beatrice[/name] – lovely, getting too popular? Depends on how much it matters to you. I think it is classic enough and has such a nice history ([name]Shakespeare[/name]?) that it doesn’t matter so much. It will always be a nice name. Besides…it was only no. 860 in 2009! I’m planning on using a MUCH more popular name for my daughter coming in [name]November[/name].

[name]Caroline[/name] – nothing against this name, but it doesn’t have that special ring for me. It is a nice name though.

[name]Margaret[/name] – ok, a wonderful, wonderful name, but to me this is the clunky one with your LN. It’s not the most consonant-heavy, but it seems that way to me.

[name]Linnea[/name] – I like this. It seems young and whimsical, but not too young.

[name]Anneliese[/name] – I like this too, but it seems that you have better choices.

My favorites are [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Saskia[/name], and Annegret.
I’d do these pairings:
[name]Beatrice[/name] Larke
[name]Saskia[/name] Larke
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Eugenia[/name] (cool, but maybe a little much)

I don’t see any of your suggestions that I like with Annegret. If you like [name]German[/name] names, and you do have a few on here, I would suggest Annegret [name]Marlen[/name] (pr. [name]Marlayne[/name]). It is a form of [name]Marlene[/name], (like [name]Marlene[/name] [name]Dietrich[/name]), and ever since I’ve become familiar w/the [name]German[/name] pr. of that name I’ve loved it. I tend to want to use a one or two syllable middle name with your choices.