Why? boys edition

Theodore, [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]:

These names seem to be very popular on here, and I just don’t see the greatness - YET!!

What about them makes you love or dislike them? How do you pronounce them? Your favorite nicknames for them, if any? Anything to make me love them?

Thank you and have an amazing day! :wink:

1 Like

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - I like this because it’s a longer, vintage name with a great meaning and history. I also love -o names, so having [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is perfect.
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] - I think this is the ultimate classic name. It’s strong but not aggressive. No one named [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is going to struggle because of their name. Everyone will have heard it and know how to spell it.
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - like [name_m]Jack[/name_m] but if you want to be a bit original. Historical but also modern.
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] - short, sweet, spunky. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the -o ending here again and you can imagine it on a rumbunctious toddler just as well as an older professional.

1 Like

Oliver- [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] is just too cute! And it sounds familiar yet I have never met one. It sounds very cheerful yet strong.
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]- This is so cute and I feel like [name_m]Jack[/name_m]’s are just likable.
[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u]- It actually sounds so cool! I love interesting boys names ending in i or y.
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]: There’s so many cool nicknames, [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Benji[/name_m], [name_m]Jamin[/name_m]:, [name_m]Jam[/name_m] [name_m]Jam[/name_m] :grin: It’s classic and nice!

2 Likes

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - I find it grand yet grounded

Oliver - it’s okay, a bit blah

Jack - versatile and fun

Jude- wholesome, cool and relaxed

Bodhi - bold and cute

Leo -brave and bouncy

Benjamin - strong and versatile

2 Likes

Leo is pretty much the perfect boys’ name to me. It’s got a (very very) long history of use, but feels modern and cool. It’s short but complete. I love its energetic, vowel-rich sound and of course its wonderful meaning :lion:

Jude is the ultimate simple, laid back, effortlessly cool name. It’s as solid, unfussy and long-established as something like [name_m]Jack[/name_m] or [name_m]John[/name_m], but feels far fresher and cooler. There’s also the Beatles connection, plus it pairs beautifully with fabulous middle names like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], etc. etc.

I like [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m], but they don’t wow me.

I personally find [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] a bit faddish and also a bit too culturally loaded.

3 Likes

Jack is my all-time favorite name. I totally understand why everyone is so bored of it, but I just love it. It’s the ultimate friendly name to me. It’s got a rich history of use, especially in fairy tales and children’s books, which also makes it feel just a bit adventurous and mischievous. And I think it pairs well with basically everything.

Ben is similar to [name_m]Jack[/name_m] in its friendly, everyman feeling. And [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is just a lot of fun to say.

I like [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] for the fun sound and peaceful meaning, and because it reminds me of [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] Twist. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], though, and I do think this one is overused.

I agree with most of what @katinka said about [name_u]Jude[/name_u], though I will mention that the religious undertones sway me off it a bit.

Theodore and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are just ok to me. I prefer [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] because I like [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as a nickname. I agree with @katinka that [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] feels trendy and bordering on cultural appropriation, though I see the appeal in the sound.

2 Likes

The names out of here I like—

Theodore: I love the sound of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], it sounds very regal! Sweet meaning. [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is a cute nn.

Oliver: This sounds like a very wise name to me. Other than that I don’t really know what makes me like it :joy: I like [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] as a nickname.

Benjamin: This name is so sweet! I like the way the soft “j” in it sounds. There are so many nickname options, but my favorite might be just [name_m]Ben[/name_m] :joy:

The rest are all meh for me.

1 Like

Theodore - nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]. Also the [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m] association.
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] - OLLIE!!! And it has a good meaning.
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]/Jude - short and sweet, would never get confused for anything else.
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] - short and energetic. Easy to spell (same with [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u])
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] - elegant and the nickname [name_m]Ben[/name_m] is :heart:

1 Like

I love [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], but am just “meh” on the others. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] seems to perfectly balance gentleness with strength! It seems laid back and cozy, but still professional! I love the nicknames [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Benny[/name_m] and [name_m]Benji[/name_m]!

1 Like

Hmm…although I like most of them, I’ll advocate for a few of them. I also second everything @katinka said.

Leo- [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is intuitive and easy to say and write. It can be used in many different places, and it has a very bright and cheerful sound. The meaning of “lion” is also a lovely one! Very short and sweet! I use this name as a middle for [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. It has a long history but seems modern!

Jude- [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is a very versatile name. It can be solemn or bright depending on the wearer! It’s very easy to pair with firsts or middles. It has a positive meaning and mostly positive connotations. It’s a Biblical name that isn’t at all heavy. It’s familiar and easy to wear.

Jack- This name feels classic, strong, and cheerful. It’s very accessible and grows with the wearer. It’s familiar without being overused. It’s a very affable name!

2 Likes

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - I love this name for the connection to a family member I dearly miss. I would use this if I don’t use [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (the actual name) or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f].

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] - I prefer this as a nickname to [name_m]Leonel[/name_m]. For me, the draw comes from both the meaning and the personal connection I have to it.

[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] - The meaning of the name, as well as the history is what drew me to it. This name’s personal appeal to me is from my childhood. I grew up with a fig tree in my yard (as well as many citrus trees). I always went in sat under or on the playset next to the fig tree when I wanted to think things through or to study. Though it’s actual meaning is awakening, enlightenment, the [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] tree is a large fig tree under which the founder of Buddhism received enlightenment.

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] - I only like this one as it’s one of my nephew’s FN. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t even look at the name.

[name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] hold no appeal for me in the least.

2 Likes

Theodore is an honor name for me, but I think I would love it anyway. It just sounds so distinguished. Plus, it has great literary and historical namesakes, not to mention the adorable nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]!

But…yeah, otherwise, I don’t care for these either. I used to love [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], but then I started to hear the ‘liver’ part too prominently. I still like it and think it’s a nice classic name, but not for myself. [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is okay, but it’s just overused to the point of being a bit boring, imho. As for the other four, I just don’t care for them at all personally.

2 Likes

@elanorelle I agree with you about [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] completely. Unfortunately, I only think about the Disney movie [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] & Co. so I can’t see [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] on a person because of it.

2 Likes

Theodore: classic! [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is cute :slight_smile:
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]: I dislike it. Makes me think of liver.
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]: Ugh I hate this one too! So overused. Sorry :confused:
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]: The Beatles Hey [name_u]Jude[/name_u]? idk.
[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u]: I also despise this one
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]: Seems a little plain to me. [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] may appeal to you?
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]: so cute. i feel like you love this one or hate it.

2 Likes

ok I am so sorry all you [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] lovers but when I hear this I literally think of a metal pole in the street :grin:
and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] just is so overused in Netflix shows and for pets sorry

GUYS I AM HAPPY YOU HAVE MADE ME LIKE THEODORE!

I still see body when I see bodhi
and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] - NO I still don’t like it at all (no offense I know very nice (and a very mean person) people named [name_m]Jack[/name_m])
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]- I LOVE [name_m]Ben[/name_m] but I still don’t like [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] a lot
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - ok, warming up to it
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]- idk? :grin:

3 Likes

Ha! You’ve picked two of my kids’ names in your lists. [name_f]Saskia[/name_f]’s little brother is [name_m]Leo[/name_m]!

We picked it for a number of reasons…he has a great grandfather on the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] side who was Leonardus, so it is an honour name. I like the L and o ending. Short, easy to say and spell, it kind of rolls off the tongue - a liquid name. The lion imagery is also nice for a little boy. I knew one adult [name_m]Leo[/name_m] as a child but no others. The hospital I was going to during the pregnancy had an old brass plaque/sign dedicated to St [name_m]Leo[/name_m] so that also played a part.

The only problem with it now is the popularity here! It was in the 90s when we picked it and now it’s no 6! He has one other in his year level (about 125 kids) but none in his class.

We paired it with a long middle - [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

1 Like

I love [name_u]Jude[/name_u]! Any name with a song is cool in my books!

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] for being well-recognised, long history of use and it sounds full without being tremendously long. As a teacher, I like that it’s phonically decodable as well! I don’t like that I’ve taught at least one every year I’ve taught and I also don’t particularly like [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] or [name_u]Olly[/name_u].

Benjamin is a good Biblical choice. Again, phonically decodable (this becomes important to rando primary teachers like me), solid options for both a full name or a nickname, known and recognised by the [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking world at large.

I’m meh on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - used to love it but I’ve taught a couple of interesting children with the name now. Very popular in British primary schools but in a more faddy way than [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], which has always been popular. Also not a fan of [name_u]Theo[/name_u]… or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] for that matter.

Jack & [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are fine.

Jude I’ve never been a fan of and then the religious connotations creeped me out.

I strongly dislike [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u]. Feels very faddish and at the expense of someone else’s religion and culture, just so we can get an ‘interesting’ name. The spelling isn’t intuitive (but attempts at an intuitive spelling are worse - [name_m]Bode[/name_m] is literally a word and it isn’t pronounced the same). [name_m]Just[/name_m] call your kid [name_u]Cody[/name_u] if you want a modern name with the same sounds. Strange how that’s aged slightly poorly but [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] is modern and hip with its unusual spelling, idk.

2 Likes

Bodhi and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are on my boys’ list.:heart:

Bodhi-[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] has such a cool meaning and I love the [name_u]Bo[/name_u] sound.

Leo-[name_m]Leo[/name_m] has a really cool meaning as well but just a little bit popular.

Benjamin- strong and masculine but now it’s in green on nameberry??

Oliver- I actually like it just way too popular.

Theodore- I like it but it’s a bit long. I love the nicknames [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]!

Jack and [name_u]Jude[/name_u]- I’m a little bored of these names.

2 Likes

cool sibset!!