Why is Claire so much more popular in some states?

I was looking up the information about the name [name]Claire[/name], and I was shocked at how much its popularity varies between states. For example, the SSA website reports that [name]Claire[/name] is ranked between 96th and 100th in [name]California[/name], [name]Texas[/name], and New [name]York[/name], but it’s ranked between 27th and 30th in [name]Washington[/name], [name]Utah[/name], and Iowa. The NameMapper is an extra year out of date, but it shows visually how much variation there is between states:

http://namemapper.babynamewizard.com/

My question is: why is [name]Claire[/name] so much more popular in some states than in others? Most other names don’t seem to be nearly as varied.

That’s really interesting! Were other classic names ranked highly in that area? Perhaps those locations are more traditional than other places (?). I think it’s really interesting how certain names are more popular in some places than in others.

Take care! :slight_smile:

At first I was wondering if that might be true, but looking at the map, it doesn’t look like other names vary as widely.

So funny someone else noticed that. [name]Claire[/name] is in my top 3 of names and it is #100 in NY (where we live) and #60 in CT. I just figured that CT was more conservative which is why it was more popular. We are also thinking of [name]Katherine[/name] with the nn [name]Kate[/name] which I love but worry is too popular especially in the NE. My other fave is [name]Charlotte[/name] but that is really moving up the list too, coming in around 60 in NY/NJ and 39 in CT.

What other names are you thinking about?

Right now: [name]Leah[/name], [name]Laura[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name]. But who knows what will happen in the next 10 days. :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Katherine[/name], too, but we can’t use it because it’s already taken by our niece.