Why such strong opposition to these names?! Breaks my heart. ):

I really love both of your names! They are new and fresh for boys now. [name]Cassius[/name] sounds very brave and strong. I love the nn [name]Cash[/name] too! [name]Silas[/name] sounds very modern and in NO way old-timey. I also love the nn [name]Sy[/name]! I really hope you use one of them, you will have a very popular young man there!

I do like [name]Silas[/name] slightly better than [name]Cassius[/name], because the pronunciation and spelling of [name]Silas[/name] are more straightforward. I suspect people will be split between pronouncing [name]Cassius[/name] as “[name]Cash[/name]-us” and “[name]Cass[/name]-ee-us”, and also may be unlikely to know how to spell it correctly without being told. I don’t think that’s necessarily a dealbreaker if you love the name, but it might explain why other people aren’t giving it a standing ovation.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cassius[/name]. Not [name]Silas[/name] so much, but still like [name]Silas[/name].

I love [name]Cassius[/name] and would use it. People have strong aversions to all the names I love, I just ignore them. My Husband’s Gpa was [name]Silas[/name] and hated it so much he called himself [name]Mac[/name] his whole life ( his middle name). I think if you wouldn’t mind having it as your name it’s a safe name to use!

I’m shocked that you’re getting such strong reactions since those are both names with a wonderful history and historical and/or literary backgrounds.

I know a lot of little boys named [name]Silas[/name]…it seems to be THE boys’ name for friends and acquaintances I’ve known who are Caucasian and [name]Christian[/name] and who have adopted African or African-American boys. (I think they like that it’s biblical and not a standard name used by Caucasians.)

Nice name, easy to pronounce…can’t imagine why those close to you are having such trouble with it. I understand that it’s not everyone’s taste, but I can’t imagine why anyone would just be completely against it. It is a little old-fashioned, but in a charming way.

[name]Cassius[/name] is a nice name, too, and the only thing I can really think of to look out for with it is pronunciation…many will want to say, “cass-EE-us.”

I am shocked that your family would readily accept [name]Priya[/name] but not one of these names. Is your sister or her partner [name]Indian[/name]? I know many Priyas whose families are from [name]India[/name], and while I suppose it would sound strange to me on someone who did not share that heritage, I know that many popular names spring up from a particular cultural group and later become mainstream.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Cassius[/name]! A lot. Go with your gut!

I kind of like [name]Cassius[/name]. It’s one of those names I want to like more, but haven’t quite gotten there yet. I associate it more with [name]Mohammed[/name] [name]Ali[/name], but because he isn’t widely known by that, the association isn’t too strong to deter me from it.

I’m not really into [name]Silas[/name], but I’m certainly not strongly opposed to it. It’s not too old-timey, it just reminds me of the word silo.

I would pronounce [name]Cassius[/name] cass-ee-us until told otherwise. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Cyrus[/name]?

Go with what you love. Many of my family members still hate the name [name]Harriet[/name] (my 2 year old) but it is perfect and fits her and she couldn’t be anything else. We raise the baby–we name the baby. :slight_smile: