Wiley, Buddy, and Flip

I could see myself going in this direction sometimes, using [name_u]Wiley[/name_u], [name_m]Buddy[/name_m], and [name_u]Flip[/name_u] as given names—not nicknames. I embrace the mid-century furniture style, and I feel very warmly to this likable and quirky trio.

Thoughts? I’m not expecting much agreement; this is a more adventurous side of me. But one I like.

I like this style!

Others i like in the same vain:
[name_m]Buzz[/name_m]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_u]Wally[/name_u]
[name_u]Bo[/name_u]
[name_u]Hopper[/name_u]
[name_u]Ziggy[/name_u]

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Wiley[/name_u]! [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] and [name_u]Flip[/name_u] are less my style but they do work well as brothers.

I can definitely get behind [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] and [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] as names, not nn. But [name_u]Flip[/name_u] is a bit out-there for me… maybe a nn for [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]?

Similar names:
[name_m]Butch[/name_m]
[name_m]Cash[/name_m]
[name_m]Buck[/name_m]
[name_m]Chuck[/name_m]
[name_u]Forest[/name_u]
[name_m]Clay[/name_m]
[name_u]Jet[/name_u]
[name_m]Major[/name_m]
[name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_m]Buster[/name_m]
[name_m]Dick[/name_m]
[name_u]Gene[/name_u]
[name_u]Chase[/name_u]
[name_m]Moose[/name_m]
[name_m]Mac[/name_m]
Kidd
[name_u]Sonny[/name_u]
[name_m]Boomer[/name_m]
[name_u]Silver[/name_u]
[name_u]Mickey[/name_u]
[name_m]Baxter[/name_m]
[name_m]Judd[/name_m]
[name_u]Royal[/name_u]
[name_m]Chip[/name_m]
[name_m]Rocky[/name_m]
[name_m]Champ[/name_m]
[name_u]Duke[/name_u]
[name_m]Creed[/name_m]
[name_u]Marty[/name_u]
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]
[name_m]Cliff[/name_m]

I like [name_u]Wiley[/name_u]! I have a friend that nearly nn’d her [name_m]William[/name_m] “[name_u]Wiley[/name_u]”, but I like it on its own too. I call 99% of people something like “love” or “lovely” or “buddy”, plus refer to my brother exclusively as [name_m]Buddy[/name_m], though his given name is J0hn, so [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] as a full name does seem a bit odd to me but I like its sound in general.

I think [name_u]Flip[/name_u] is SO fun, but would personally only use it as a nn for [name_m]Philip[/name_m].

I also love [name_u]Bo[/name_u], [name_m]Boomer[/name_m] (idk why I love this so much, but anyways lol), [name_m]Mac[/name_m], [name_m]Baxter[/name_m], [name_u]Royal[/name_u] (ROYAL!), and [name_u]Duke[/name_u], too. :heart:

Wiley and [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] are great but [name_u]Flip[/name_u] is used as an expression of frustration where I am.

This is a big GP of mine!

I like [name_u]Wiley[/name_u], and I think that totally works as a first name in its own right. I’m not really into [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] or [name_u]Flip[/name_u] but you do you. One name I like that I can’t see mentioned yet is [name_m]Trip[/name_m]!

Hi there.

I can see [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] & [name_u]Flip[/name_u] as stand alones, but [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] is just way too nick-namey. I’m more of a long name to nn person myself. I like [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] & [name_m]Philip[/name_m](e) nn [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] & [name_u]Flip[/name_u]. Those would be adorable for brothers. I think that you could also do a fancy ‘F’ name like [name_u]Francis[/name_u] or [name_m]Frederic[/name_m] nn [name_u]Flip[/name_u]. [name_m]Buddy[/name_m], I’m not sure…[name_m]Bernard[/name_m] maybe?

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I also love midcentury furniture and also midcentury names but [name_u]Wiley[/name_u], [name_u]Flip[/name_u] and [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] feel more country western to me? (I’m likely alone on this). DH has a beloved family member with the NN [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] and it is such a sweet connection to me, I also know a [name_m]Philip[/name_m] who goes by [name_u]Flip[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Wiley[/name_u] as a first name and all of them as MN options.

These names are friendly and familiar but IMO it’s hard to picture these names as middle aged people with careers in more conservative industries. This is always a concern for me, I have a very young feeling name and it can feel limiting on a resume, especially since I work in a more buttoned up industry. Names are just one part of who we are and people shouldn’t be close-minded or judgmental but they can be. I am very aware of this when considering names but I suspect it’s not a dealbreaker for a lot of berries.

I don’t mind [name_u]Wiley[/name_u]. [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] seems like more of a nickname to me, and [name_u]Flip[/name_u] seems like it’s missing an ‘i’ ([name_m]Filip[/name_m]).

I’ve always liked [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and [name_u]Sailor[/name_u]. But they remain as guilty pleasure names for me.