Wilford? (versus other Wil- names)

Lately, I’ve been increasingly drawn to [name]Wilford[/name]. I came across it when searching for [name]Wil[/name]- names as alternative ways to get to the nn [name]Will[/name] (which I love, but do not want to use [name]William[/name]) and honour my grandmother’s maiden name. It is apparently a variation of [name]Wilfred[/name], and I really like the sound & alternative nn option of [name]Ford[/name]; plus, it is very significant to me as the -ford would also honour my mother’s maiden name. So, [name]Wilford[/name] would get me two ways of honouring special family members, and great nns, but I’m worried that it is too ‘out-there’ or surnamey as I generally like more classic, familiar names.
What do you think? He would probably go by [name]Will[/name] most of the time and be a brother to [name]Edmund[/name] nn [name]Eddie[/name]. What about other [name]Wil[/name]- names instead? I love [name]Wilbur[/name] (but worry about the [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name] connotation) and also like [name]Wilfred[/name] (but worry that it sounds ‘soft’ and about potentially having an [name]Eddie[/name] and a [name]Freddie[/name]): opinions/ other [name]Wil[/name]- suggestions? Thanks in advance, everyone here is always so helpful! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Wilford[/name] and especially like the meaning it would have to you. Williford is a family surname for me and I like it because it sounds distinguished in the Southern gentleman type of way.

I don’t exactly love [name]Wilford[/name] (prefer [name]William[/name] or [name]Wilson[/name] personally), but I like the significance for you and I think [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Wilford[/name], nns [name]Eddie[/name] and [name]Will[/name], are really handsome together. If you’re not sold on [name]Wilford[/name], what about:

[name]Wilhelm[/name] (too [name]German[/name]?)
[name]Willoughby[/name] (love the literary association)
[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Wilkes[/name] (although [name]John[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] [name]Booth[/name] isn’t the best association…)

I love the idea of [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Willoughby[/name]/[name]Eddie[/name] and [name]Will[/name] together!

I like [name]Wilford[/name] as an alternative to [name]William[/name]. I think it’s useable, and it goes well with [name]Edmund[/name].