Will Emma drop in popularity?

Hey Berries!

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] has been one of my top girl names for as long as I can remember! I wish it weren’t so popular in the States! I’m still a teen, so I won’t be having kids in at least 10 years. Could you see [name_f]Emma[/name_f] dropping out of the top 10 in that amount of time? Where do you think she’ll rank in 10-15 years?

1 Like

I could see her leaving the Top 10 in 10-15 years, but I don’t think she’ll be headed out of even the Top 25 any time soon. However, I’d consider how popular it is in your area when the time comes for you to have kids. It may be less common where you are, or even if you personally don’t know anyone by the name or who has a child by the name, it would be fine. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I could see [name_f]Emma[/name_f] dropping in popularity (she’s dropped to 56 here in the UK) but i think she’ll remain quite well in usage as she’s so familiar and classic

3 Likes

I agree. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] peaked here several decades ago, but is still quietly quite well used today, around 30 years post-peak. I’m always surprised when I see how popular it still is — but it’s such an unassuming classic that it doesn’t really feel popular or trendy. It’s never been #1 here though, as far as I know (our baby name records only started in 1996).

As an [name_f]Emma[/name_f] of 27 years’ experience, I can heartily recommend it! :wink:

2 Likes

Most popular names have a good twenty or so years of popularity, then gradually they start to dip. I’d say [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is one of those names. I can see it leaving the US top 10 within 10-15 years. The similar [name_f]Emily[/name_f] recently left the US top 10.

1 Like

I don’t expect it to drop any time soon. I think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] will be in the top 50 at least for decades.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. It’s an interesting name because it was once very, very popular, then lost popularity for decades and suddenly in the 90s, it was back in-style. Then [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] on Friends named her daughter that and it took off even stronger.

When I was growing up, every other girl was named [name_f]Amy[/name_f] or [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. Nowadays, I can’t tell you the last time I met a baby or little girl with any of those names. So yeah I do think the popularity will eventually fade, but who knows when that’ll be.

Regardless, I still love the name and considering it in the top 5 for my daughter.

1 Like

I agree with others that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] will drop in popularity (in fact, I wouldn’t be shocked if [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] took over the #1 spot in 2019) but I don’t think it will leave the top 10 for a few years. Probably not the top 100 for a long time. It’s a classic which, to me, means it never really goes out of style and remains regularly used. Looking at the data from 1900 on, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] was out of the top 100 from 1942-1993 but never left the top 500.

If it’s an uncommon name you’re after, then [name_f]Emma[/name_f] isn’t the choice for you. (but that doesn’t make it a bad name)

1 Like

I think that these super popular names are like rabbit populations but on a different time frame- the rabbit population booms one generation, and then they eat all their food so the next generation is small because there’s not enough food, but then that allows a lot of food to grow, so the population booms again, and then it diminishes after they eat all the food, etc.
The name [name_f]Emma[/name_f] becomes super popular, and then a lot of parents don’t want their kids to be one of seven at their school, so they don’t name their kids that, and then parents realize that it’s diminished years later, so they name that again a lot, and it repeats.
Then again, this is just a hypothesis, backed by absolutely no historic evidence.
I just like rabbits.

2 Likes

In the next 10-15 year I could see her maybe around 30th-50th in popularity. The [name_f]Emma[/name_f]’s I know are all 6 and older (mostly teens) so I definitely see her fading out. Great name though!

1 Like

I think sometimes it can be worth considering a name you really love, regardless of mega popularity!

Also, I think making a choice to ignore high popularity and use a name you love anyway especially makes sense if, as @elanorelle suggested, you don’t personally know anyone by the name or who has a child by the name and/or it is less common where you live.

2 Likes

I agree with other posters that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] likely will fall out of the top 10 in another 10-15 years, but is unlikely to drop out of the top 50ish for a while. That being said, you should definitely check into popularity by State when you get around to needing a name because it varies quite a bit. For example, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] was ranked #19 in the US in…2016 or 2017 I think, but it was #1 in [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] that year. So what’s popular overall may not be all that popular where you are.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] has really stood the test of time and I know Emmas of all ages. That being said I can see it dropping a few places in the next couple of years but it will always be a stylish choice for any parent. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t be deterred by this names popularity as it’s always a person’s personality that makes a name stand out.

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t met an [name_f]Emma[/name_f] under age 12 in a long time, so I guess I don’t see it as popular? I suppose it could drop a bit, but it is definitely a timeless classic, so it might be like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] or [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] and linger in the top 50 for quite some time. I wouldn’t let the popularity put you off if it’s a name you truly love though. And in 10-15 years time, it could fall quite a bit - [name_f]Aria[/name_f] and [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] sprung into the top 100 out of nowhere in a matter of 20 or so years, so I can’t see why [name_f]Emma[/name_f] couldn’t do the opposite, theoretically.

1 Like