Will I regret the name Maxwell?

Help!
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I loved the name [name_u]Max[/name_u] for our second son. But DH has brought up the association with [name_u]Max[/name_u] from the goofy movies, [name_u]Max[/name_u] as a dog name (like in the Grinch), and unflattering nicknames like Maxipad and it being used as an adjective.

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], but I’ve always gone by [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] - my parents never intended to call me by my full name and preferred the nickname. Sometimes I wish my parents would not have done a longer name if they never intended to use it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] caused me to have to correct teachers, doctors, and anyone who is reading my name off a document to tell them my I go by a nickname instead of my legal one.

With that being said, I have been thinking maybe [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] is a good alternative to [name_u]Max[/name_u]. But in my head I keep thinking I’ll probably end up shorting it to [name_u]Max[/name_u] and he will have to go through the same mixups I had to.

What do you think? Go by [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u], stick with [name_u]Max[/name_u], go back to the drawing board?

Middle name will be [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

3 Likes

I would just stick with [name_u]Max[/name_u]! [name_u]Max[/name_u] is such a familiar name that I don’t think most people associate it overwhelmingly with any one thing, positive or negative. That “blank slate” quality is one of my favorite things about the name – [name_u]Max[/name_u] can be anyone! [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] doesn’t seem to solve most of your issues anyway, as it sounds like most people would still know him as [name_u]Max[/name_u].

2 Likes

We have a [name_u]Max[/name_u] and have not had any of these issues!! He is a sweet smart and handsome young man!!

2 Likes

I think, if given enough time, we could find ways to make ANY name have weird connections. [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] is a classic, genuine name! Go for it!

I am like you, where my parents gave me a full name intending to use mainly a nickname and I actually loved it! There’s really no way to know what your childs gonna prefer and you just have to go with what you feel will be the best solution.

With that being said, for me I really love [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]. Its a very classic, handsome name. And I like giving more options, so I would choose the longer name. I dont think it would be regretted!

I really like [name_u]Max[/name_u]! [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] nice too and I don’t think you’d regret [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] nn [name_u]Max[/name_u].

[name_u]Max[/name_u] is so invasive as a name in culture that it stands on its own. As in, it seems that those characters just happen to have a common name rather than the character made the name (unlike [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] or something similar that is almost automatically associated with [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. Might be different in the UK).

So I think [name_u]Max[/name_u] is totally fine. Your husband has quite the imagination to think of Maxipad (I don’t think most schoolchildren even know what that is) and a lot of classic names are adjectives or verbs too (Harry, [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], [name_u]Drew[/name_u], etc).

1 Like

[name_u]Max[/name_u] is a great name! It’s solid and familiar but not overused - a versatile name which feels lively and bright, down to earth and sensible, young and mature.

I like [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] too but I feel like from your post, it’s [name_u]Max[/name_u] you like - and [name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is lovely!

If not [name_u]Max[/name_u], then I’d consider looking into other choices, to see if any of them stand up to [name_u]Max[/name_u]

1 Like

I absolutely adore [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] its one of my top boy names!! I do however think its very likely that it will get shortened to [name_u]Max[/name_u] if thats a name that you both really like. I don’t think [name_u]Max[/name_u] on its own is bad, as others have said its very commonly used so I don’t think people would assume there was a longer version etc.

1 Like

Stick with [name_u]Max[/name_u]. Great name, your husband is unhelpfully overthinking.

I like the way the full name Maxw3ll C@spian sounds better than ….
MAX CASpian.

The way [name_u]Max[/name_u] is pronounced you hear the S sound at the end and then you repeat the S sound with the first syllable of [name_m]Cas[/name_m] pian.

I think it is such a good idea to give a full name and then they have the option in freedom to shorten it, or go back to the [name_m]Fuller[/name_m]. I wish that my name had such versatility!

[name_u]Max[/name_u] is gorgeous!

I think the name is just a popular classic and also a word to description as in maximum for example therefore of course there’s a play on words with maxipad and associations with the dog. But these really do not come to forefront of mind. [name_u]Max[/name_u] is just a stable classic very handsome and I think works wonders. I say go for it, go with just [name_u]Max[/name_u]!

1 Like

I love having a formal name and a nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] boys do too and so does my daughter and I’ve just always enjoyed it

You’re totally right. I could probably find a pop culture association with any name. Thanks for putting this into perspective.

You’re right. Probably just overthinking it!

You bring up a good point about similar sounds. I actually favor alliterative names so this doesn’t bother me. But my last name also has a strong S sound so I now might be thinking of a different variation. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you. I’m leaning towards just [name_u]Max[/name_u]. [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] does just feel like a compromise away from my preference

1 Like

If not late - so [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]. [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] definitely passes the [name_m]Supreme[/name_m] [name_m]Court[/name_m] test, where [name_m]Max[/name_m] is not. The kiddo will have options

I didnt think of the Goofy movies until you mentioned them. And I definitely saw them as a kid. Lol! It truly wouldnt my first thought at all meeting a [name_m]Max[/name_m]. So I dont think you need to change his name. [name_m]Max[/name_m] is a strong name, direct and to the point. [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] seems fancy. I think of an aristocrat with that name. Lol! IDK why. But if you just wanna call him [name_m]Max[/name_m], its totally fine. :grin: