Will James Become Too Girly?

I feel that more recently the name [name_u]James[/name_u] has been given a lot more to girls than before. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]James[/name_u] will become the next [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u], etc.? (Traditional boys names that crossed the line and became more common as girls names). I do think it’s more used as a middle for girls more recently but in general, the name crossing over a little bit or becoming more unisex like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

Or do you think [name_u]James[/name_u] (#6 for boys in 2019) will hold its ground as a boys name as well as be given to some girls, such as [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]?

What are your thoughts for [name_u]James[/name_u]’ fate?

No.

12 Likes

I think it’s usage for boys is far too long and great for it to become the next [name_u]Addison[/name_u], etc.

11 Likes

Definitely not. It’s #6 for boys and about #4300 for girls

5 Likes

I don’t think [name_u]James[/name_u] will go to the girls. It’s too popular for boys. At most, it might become unisex rather than girly

5 Likes

It won’t. And if it for some reason does, I wouldn’t care.

7 Likes

Like others have said, I don’t think so. I’d also like to add that [name_u]James[/name_u] on girls is nothing new, at least in the US. According to Our [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_m]Namer[/name_m], it’s been used consistently since at least 1880.

7 Likes

Not a chance. [name_u]James[/name_u] is a tried-and-true classic. Other names that have been taken over by girls were never super popular for boys to begin with, but [name_u]James[/name_u] has always been common for boys. I think it’s safe. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Please don’t let my mother hear you say that. We have a long history of [name_u]James[/name_u] given to the boys in our family. It was supposed to be my middle name like my brother until they found out I was going to be a girl 1 week before I was born. They wouldn’t even consider giving me the middle name [name_u]James[/name_u] and promptly changed it.

It may take on the unisex quality of [name_u]Lee[/name_u] down the road though — ok for a middle name for girls, but only boys will be given it as a first name (with this spelling).

5 Likes

Absolutely not

2 Likes

I think it will be like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]: largely used for boys, but also a quirky pick for girls.

8 Likes

Sure there may be a few girls named [name_u]James[/name_u] but I think the fact that it is soooo common will help keep it very strongly a boys name.

1 Like

Agreed!

3 Likes

No, at least not for a long while. There are so many boys named [name_u]James[/name_u], both babies and old men, I don’t really think it could ever be a name that someone would hear and thing ‘that’s a girl’

1 Like

Yesz

1 Like

I don’t and nor have ever seen this as a girl’s name. So to me it will never feel girlie. Names like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] ( my own name) are usually, but not always, nicknames from [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Charlene[/name_f] ( [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is my full name) whereas [name_u]James[/name_u] is just [name_u]James[/name_u]. To be honest with you, I have found the idea that [name_u]James[/name_u] being used for a girl quite bizzare. To me, [name_u]James[/name_u] has the same vibe as [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. Names no one would contemplate for a girl.

6 Likes

I don’t think so, no.

1 Like

i can see it rising in the middle spot for girls in the same way as [name_u]Ray[/name_u]/Rae or [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] for parents looking for a way to balance out super feminine first names. Think [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u]. But I honestly don’t think it will ever become super popular because it’s a name that is so associated as a male name in a way that [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] aren’t (also addison and elliot give the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] nicknames that make them feel more feminine whereas [name_u]James[/name_u] is sort of un-nicknameable)

2 Likes

I don’t think it will ever become too girly. I don’t mind it as a girls middle name but I really do not care for it as a girls first name. I think it’s far too popular for boys to ever become girly. And nothing sounds feminine about it.

1 Like

James will probably go the way of Elliot, Emmerson, Jamie (a nn for James), Charlie, etc. But I dont see it becoming truly unisex in our lifetime. More like, used for both but more commonly male.

1 Like