Will my child be teased with any of these names?

Our surname is Cox, therefore I need to think carefully about the first name so my child won’t be the easy target of teasing.

Can you see any obvious teasing names?

[name]Lincoln[/name] Cox
[name]Jarvis[/name] Cox
[name]Riley[/name] Cox

[name]Amelie[/name] Cox
[name]Skyla[/name] Cox
[name]Ruby[/name] Cox

Thank you

Um… nope. I’m not seeing anything. I knew a boy in primary school with the last name Cox, he was called [name]Sebastian[/name] and I don’t remember him being teased at all. Out of your list I love [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Jarvis[/name], [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name]:slight_smile:

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I agree. I knew an [name]Alex[/name] Cox (girl). The boys did joke about her name among themselves. [name]Alex[/name] is a very lovely girl and has strong self esteem, so she didn’t worry about it. I especially love [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name].

I don’t see teasing potential with any of those names. I like all of them, although I prefer the spelling [name]Reilly[/name] to [name]Riley[/name].

Anyone else see teasing potential?

The boy name has been narrowed down to [name]Jarvis[/name] or [name]Lincoln[/name].

We are swaying towards [name]Amelie[/name] for a girl. Any suggestions for nicknames for this name?

I think the only one with teasing potential is [name]Lincoln[/name]… cos kids might call him “Linkin’ Cox”… rotten kids :wink: But I think the others are pretty safe bets. Well… [name]Ruby[/name] Cox might be getting close to teasing potential, not sure.

[name]Edit[/name]: We were considering [name]Amelie[/name] for our girl as well and I was planning to call her [name]Mel[/name] for short. But if you pronounce it the French way (I believe ah-may-[name]LEE[/name]) you could call her [name]May[/name]/[name]Mae[/name] too. [name]Lee[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Amy[/name]… so many possibilities.

I would avoid [name]Lincoln[/name]…when I say it fast, it sounds like “lickin’ cox” Yikes.
[name]Ruby[/name] as in red…hmm, there’s some potential there too I think.

[name]Millie[/name] for a nn for [name]Amelie[/name]?

I’m sorry to say it, but [name]Ruby[/name] Cox immediately gave me a vivid mental image of someone in a doctor’s office. And I think [name]Lincoln[/name] could give you trouble. My terribly immature husband agrees and had comments of his own that I won’t mention.

The others are lovely. Immature husband couldn’t find any problems. He quite likes [name]Jarvis[/name].

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking there could be problems with [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] but my husband and others kept saying I was stretching the teasing thing too far. We have already crossed off alot of names because of this potential problem.

Thanks so much for your honesty. It’s what I need!

I agree… [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] are a little too close to being tease-worthy.

That said, I’ve always wished I had the last name Cox! I know that’s weird, it’s only because of Dr. Cox from Scrubs. :o) I loved that character.

I’d avoid [name]Jarvis[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] - [name]Jarvis[/name] because of the meaning ( I’m not particularly a fan anyway) and [name]Ruby[/name] because there’s no need to give it a color - [name]Ruby[/name] Cox is pushing it.

My maiden name was Cox and I never had any teasing problems. And I don’t see any teasing possibilities with the names on your list, either. However, I did have an Uncle [name]Harry[/name]. I’d steer clear of that one if I were you! ;o)

My bff has the same last name and they’re opting for [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]John[/name]. I think all of your choices are great and honestly, there are worse and more easier-to-tease names out there so I wouldn’t worry about your last name!

The only thing I can think of is [name]Ruby[/name], because it’s a color. Although it’s better than [name]Blue[/name] Cox :wink:

The thing about kids is that you don’t have to have a funny name to get teased. If your name isn’t joke-worthy, they can always resort to butt-head/dummy/etc.

[name]Jarvis[/name] Cox - sounds like [name]Jarvis[/name] Cocker (frontman of Pulp, bit of a cult legend)
If you live in [name]America[/name] this certainly won’t be a problem - actually, if you live in [name]Britain[/name] it’s not a problem. [name]Jarvis[/name] Cocker is a magnificent man! :smiley: