Will this be mispronounced all the time?

We love the name [name]Luciana[/name] (ch sound in the middle) but I don’t want it to be mispronounced all the time. Wouldn’t that be annoying for my DD? NN would be [name]Lulu[/name] or even [name]Lucy[/name]. Our other choice is [name]Charlotte[/name] (nn [name]Carly[/name])
Sibs are [name]Anthony[/name], [name]Rocco[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] (nn [name]Izzy[/name].). Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think that both names are lovely. I personally thought it was pronounced lucy-ahna until you mentioned it in a previous post. It may be regional (i.e I haven’t it here in Australia), and in that case you may be fine. You should keep in mind that when it comes to mispronunciation you can have the most obvious name and some people will still say it wrong. I feel that you have a better chance of getting away with carly as a nn for charlotte, than people correctly saying luciana. But, as I said, it may not be as much of a problem where you live. If you love luciana more you should use it, but be prepared to correct it on occasion.

[name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it? If you are pronouncing it with a CH sound, probably.

In my opinion, one ought to be relaxed about that - people come here (to the US, and likely to other English-speaking countries) from other countries and speak their name in their language; we butcher their names and they don’t bother to correct us because it’s all ok. This is our accent, this is how we say those sounds together and recognize them in our language.

If you are pronouncing it [name]Lu[/name]-see-ah-na, not too many people will mispronounce it, and hardly anyone will pronounce it [name]Lu[/name]-chee-ah-na. If they do, they’re Italian, that’s how they talk.

It’s my basic overall opinion that the “correct” pronunciation of a name has more to do with the native language of the namer and not so much the origin of the name. It can do with both, but while I can affect an accent, I can’t duplicate it. Names that come from other countries often arrived there in one language and were adapted to their present form in that language. So do we keep it that way or adapt it to our language. Sometimes there is more than one “correct” pronunciation.

I think most people will say [name]Lu[/name]-see-ah-na in the US.

Probably but it’s a cool enough name to probably be worth it. :slight_smile:

My younger sister’s name is [name]Lucia[/name], pronounced like [name]Luciana[/name] with a ‘ch’ sound in the middle. People usually pronounced it with a ‘see’ instead of the ‘ch’ but my mom was quick to correct them and people, once they here it, learn it quickly. It’s a beautiful name and I wouldn’t worry too much at all. I also think it fits in perfectly with your other children’s names. Good luck:)

I think most people will assume it’s “[name]Lucy[/name]-ana” until you correct them. It may get a bit confusing if you choose to nickname her [name]Lucy[/name]. As long as you are prepared for correcting people I say go for it. [name]Luciana[/name] both ways is a great name.

Hey there!
My name IS [name]Luciana[/name] :smiley: and yes, it’s mispronounced all the time.
When I was younger, of course, I wanted a boring name like [name]Ashley[/name] like my friends, but now that I’m in my 20’s I love my name. Plus, my family is very Italian so having that public announcement of my culture is special to me. I say go with it! It’s a beautiful name!
The nickname choices aren’t the best though… [name]Lucy[/name] is misleading because the “[name]Luci[/name]” in [name]Luciana[/name] is not pronounced that way. [name]Lu[/name] is my nickname with my family, but I insist everyone else call me [name]Luciana[/name] because it’s so great :slight_smile:

I agree, if you are quick to correct people about the pronunciation, they [name]WILL[/name] catch on. It will be mistaken at first, but people will grow used to it the more they hear you and your family refer to your daughter, [name]Luciana[/name], with the correct pronunciation (or whichever you want to use). However, the nickname [name]Lucy[/name] is misleading for people and I wouldn’t use it, personally. Call her [name]Lu[/name], [name]Luci[/name] ([name]Lu[/name]-chee), or [name]Ana[/name]. The name fits beautifully with your other kids’ names…

Good luck!

Gorgeous name, love it. People may well get the pronounciation wrong at first but you can correct them.

[name]Just[/name] so you know, I pronounced it [name]Lu[/name]-chee-ana. And I think it’s a really beautiful name.