Willa vs. Nessa

I found yet another name that I’m considering for this character :o Oops?

[name]Nessa[/name]/[name]Willa[/name] Marchand is 19 years old, born in New [name]York[/name] but currently living in [name]London[/name], [name]England[/name] with older brother ([name]Crispin[/name]) & attending university as an art major; brown hair & green eyes; tall (5’8, 5’9) and fit but not skinny/thin; slightly awkward socially/clumsy physically; not a huge people person. She mostly keeps to herself/doesn’t pry into others’ lives, except for her brother’s; is very nosey about [name]Crispin[/name]'s personal affairs/love life. Normally a pretty nice girl (sweet), but will resort to anything within reason to make sure her brother’s happy (spunky/determined). She can’t cook to save her life. (She can bake, though the kitchen may catch on fire)

Pros & Cons of [name]Nessa[/name]: Pros: It’s weird like [name]Crispin[/name], but makes her seem a little bit untouchable due to the [name]Loch[/name] Ness Monster connection, which is good. Short for [name]Nerissa[/name]. Cons: Too weird?

Pros & Cons of [name]Willa[/name]: Pros: Sounds nice when said aloud. Cons: It seems incomplete, & not as weird as I’d like it. Also, may be getting a little too popular.

What do you guys think?

I love the name [name]Nessa[/name], I think it’s very cute!

I like [name]Willa[/name] a lot! While [name]Nessa[/name] does have some of the qualities you like, I think [name]Willa[/name] just seems to completely suit the character you described, and [name]Willa[/name] in itself feels a bit untouchable. I think [name]Willa[/name] and [name]Crispin[/name] are perfect together–I don’t really think of [name]Crispin[/name] as weird… more of a quirky, timeless classic. It’s never been used enough to be dated to any time period, but I don’t see it as weird at all. [name]Nessa[/name] and [name]Crispin[/name] seem much more mismatched than [name]Willa[/name] and [name]Crispin[/name] to me.

That, and I’m biased here, but I wrote a story with a [name]Nessa[/name] in it–she was from [name]Scotland[/name], a bit of a rebel and a wild-child, a troublemaker. Not a very appealing character and everyone would have instantly sided with her brother, who was trying to help her, instead of her. So I just don’t see the appeal behind a character named [name]Nessa[/name] as opposed to [name]Willa[/name], haha. I don’t think [name]Willa[/name] would have been that popular when your character was born, either, so I don’t think its popularity is a problem.

Good luck!

Hey, what do you guys think of [name]Nilla[/name]? It’s part [name]Willa[/name], part [name]Nessa[/name], an actual name (:D) even though it kinda looks like it’s a kr8ive spelling, and is quirky like [name]Crispin[/name]. It’s probably pronounced [name]Nil[/name]-[name]AH[/name], but I said it in my head the first time as [name]NEEL[/name]-ah. WDYT?

[name]Nilla[/name] sounds too much like Vanilla to me. :frowning: Like [name]Nilla[/name] Wafers? I loved those cookies growing up, haha, but maybe not the best name for a character. What about [name]Milla[/name] (mil-ah) or [name]Mila[/name] (mee-lah)? If you like [name]Mila[/name], you could even do [name]Camila[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], or [name]Milena[/name] with the nn [name]Mila[/name]…

I prefer [name]Willa[/name] for her, and I think it goes better with [name]Crispin[/name] than [name]Nessa[/name].
[name]Mila[/name] is a good one too.

I don’t like [name]Nerissa[/name] as a sister to [name]Crispin[/name], [name]Nessa[/name] for [name]Agnes[/name] would be better.
And [name]Nessa[/name] is more fun than [name]Willa[/name], although [name]Willa[/name] could be for [name]Willamina[/name].
[name]Both[/name] [name]Crispin[/name] and [name]Willamina[/name], and [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Crispin[/name] sound like plausible sibsets. [name]Nerissa[/name] is a different style from [name]Crispin[/name] and they both have -ris- in them which makes them a little too matchy for me.

I would do [name]Crispin[/name] and [name]Agnes[/name] nn [name]Nessa[/name] if I were you. [name]Agnes[/name] is a better fit with her personality as well, a little awkward but still very straight-forward and knows what she wants.

I never actually like the name Willa, I don’t know why. Maybe, like you said, because it seems incomplete. I don’t really like Nessa either, but it is weird and does in fact go with the name Crispin. I think Nessa’s the way to go.

I like [name]Mila[/name]…I would not start the book if [name]Nessa[/name] or [name]Willa[/name] were the main character