Willa?

Hello all. My current favorite choice is [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], but it is one that is predicted (here, at least) to be on the rise. I realize it is not even ranked… but there are all of those Willows running around who could sport the nickname [name]Willa[/name].

So between the rising popularity of [name]Willa[/name] (on its own) and [name]Willow[/name] (with the nickname [name]Willa[/name]) is this choice more popular than it may appear?

I really like the name [name]Willa[/name] and think that it is beautiful with [name]Josephine[/name]. I would assume that most [name]Willow[/name]'s would be nn, [name]Will[/name], not [name]Willa[/name]. I think that [name]Willa[/name] may become popular (because of similar [name]Ella[/name] like names), but probably not top 50 popular.

I knew one girl named [name]Willa[/name] when I was growing up in the '80s. Since then, I’ve never met anyone with this name. I think [name]Willow[/name] will become more & more popular, but I don’t see [name]Willa[/name] becoming extremely trendy. Also, I doubt [name]Willa[/name] is usually a nn for [name]Willow[/name]. That being said, the two names are very similar in sound (but for me, they have totally different associations and overall qualities). I much prefer [name]Willa[/name]! I love the association with [name]Willa[/name] Cather.

Agree with pps - I think it will become more popular but definitely not Top 50 (I’d say not even top 100, although [name]Willow[/name] could go that far). I’m pretty sure that every single person I know wouldn’t even have heard of [name]Willa[/name] outside of [name]Willa[/name] Cather, and none would choose it for their child. I think sometimes because we have similar taste on nameberry we forget that not everyone shares it. In other words, I think you’re safe - go for it!

I like the name [name]Willa[/name], I used it for one of my stories (she was the villian tho lol)

I think [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] sounds fantastic. I have only met one [name]Willa[/name] ever and she is in her thirties, as am I. I like it, but like [name]Willow[/name] even more. Personally I would never use [name]Willa[/name] as a nickname for [name]Willow[/name], even though you could. I like [name]Willow[/name] on it’s own, no nickname. I associate [name]Willa[/name] more with [name]Wilhelmina[/name]. I really don’t see [name]Willa[/name] getting very popular and definitely not as popular as [name]Willow[/name].

Ohhhhh, I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Willa[/name], and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is beautiful! My husband and I were very close to naming our little girl [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name] and calling her [name]Willa[/name]. I don’t believe this name will ever enter the top 100. It’s on the rise, but I see it sitting pretty in the 600 range (similarly to [name]Maeve[/name]). [name]Willow[/name] on the other hand could have a little spout in the top 100, but I wouldn’t worry as I don’t see [name]Willa[/name] as a nn for [name]Willow[/name]. I say go for it! We need more little [name]Willa[/name]'s running around!

Best of luck to you! =)

I agree with the previous posters – this is a GREAT name, but is not likely to rise quickly – even if it were to rise, it would take a few years I think. Also, it seems like someone naming their child [name]Willow[/name] really wants that nature sound and therefore wouldn’t shorten to [name]Willa[/name]. That’s my guess anyway. I love [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]! Good luck!

THanks for your input! Are [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] too similar in sound? [name]Even[/name] though [name]Willa[/name] may not be super popular… will the fact that [name]Willow[/name] could become top 100 detract from the “uniqueness” of [name]Willa[/name]?

[name]Willow[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] are similar in sound they share 4 letters [name]Will[/name]- and really only differentiate with the ending vowel sound. However they’re meaning and style are completely different from each other. [name]Willow[/name] is very much a nature name where as [name]Willa[/name] feels more classic/vintage and reminds me of Whillamina. With that said, [name]Willamina[/name] isn’t as close in sound to [name]Willow[/name] and you could still nn [name]Willa[/name].

I like Wilhemina/[name]Willamina[/name]/variations of spellings with the nn [name]Willa[/name] or [name]Willow[/name]. I think they are both beautiful- maybe weight what sounds better with your last name? You could also use [name]Willa[/name] as a nickname for [name]Willow[/name]- I think that is totally pretty!!! :slight_smile:

[name]LOVE[/name] it! I wouldn’t guess that [name]Willa[/name] will get overly popular. [name]Josephine[/name] is one of my favorite names. We are currently trying to decide if we are naming baby girl # 2 [name]Josephine[/name]. I think it is a beautiful name all together.

For some reason, I feel like [name]Willa[/name], and similarly, [name]Calla[/name] are short for something, like they are meant to go on. I don’t feel the same way about other -la names. [name]Ella[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Lila[/name], they sound complete. I find it really hard to say [name]Willa[/name]. It sounds different to me when I say [name]Willow[/name]. Oh sounds more intentional than -uh that I hit the Ls just right. [name]Will[/name]-oh, but [name]Willa[/name], Ls too slow and hard or too fast and weak. I mean, it’s totally my fault. I like [name]Wilhelmina[/name], and doesn’t sound weird if you used [name]Willa[/name] as a nickname and called her that all the time. I want to think it stands for a longer name. I tend to like short, simplified names, but I feel [name]Willa[/name], not long enough, ends abruptly.

It has more to do with how I shape my words, and probably how familiar the word [name]Will[/name] is, [name]Will[/name] you? [name]Will[/name] they? [name]How[/name] will I know when I get there? [name]Trust[/name] me, you will know. That when you apply -ah to that, and it’s just [name]Will[/name]-ah. No questions, no prepositions. -[name]Ah[/name]. [name]Meena[/name]. [name]Will[/name]-a-me-na. That helps me, I don’t know if any of this helps you! I hate how I talk. I’m just saying it wrong.

I was thinking about this the other day. I like [name]Willamina[/name] as a longer version.

I’ve only come across 1 child named [name]Willa[/name] & that was @ least 10 yrs. ago. I love [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

I must say I really prefer [name]Willa[/name] on its own to Wilhemina/[name]Willamina[/name] because I don’t care for the sound of the -mina on the end. Also, I don’t know where you live, and that makes a huge difference, but in the bulk of the U.S. where a lot of older names such as [name]Henrietta[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], and the like are not yet making much of a comeback (but are ready to in my opinon), I just think wilhemina would be a very brave choice (but if you like it, by all means go for it!). I just want to say I think [name]Willa[/name] stands on its own just fine. And I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]!

I don’t consider [name]Willow[/name] all that popular to begin with, so I wouldn’t worry about it. I love [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

Thank you everyone. That was helpful. I certainly prefer [name]Willa[/name] on its own as opposed to the longer Wilhemina…

this is late, but my 5-year-old is a [name]Willa[/name]. We haven’t ‘met’ any others in her lifetime, but have ‘heard’ of another about her age.

that is great to know!