Willoughby? What'll it be?

Hello fellow berries! I was wondering what you all think of the English/British name [name]Willoughby[/name] for a boy. I personally really like it as an alternative to [name]William[/name], etc. - & if you want the nn [name]Will[/name], the full name of [name]Willoughby[/name] caters right to that!
I do like the nn Wilby as well for this name. I very rarely if ever hear this name in the U.S. – pronounced [name]Will[/name]-Oh-[name]Bee[/name].
Also, any thoughts/comments on some other names below that seem to be in a similar vein as [name]Willoughby[/name] in the English/British genre would be great!!

• [name]Barnaby[/name] (nn: [name]Arnie[/name]/Arny)
  • [name]Lincoln[/name] (nn: [name]Linc[/name])
  • [name]Montgomery[/name] (nn: [name]Monty[/name])
  • [name]Sullivan[/name] (nn: [name]Sully[/name] or [name]Van[/name])
  • [name]Beauregard[/name] (nn: [name]Beau[/name] or [name]Reggie[/name])
  • [name]Remington[/name] (nn: [name]Remy[/name]/[name]Remi[/name])

I understand that it is a English/British name but as someone who lives in [name]England[/name] this is very rare and a [name]Willoughby[/name] is definitely hard to find. Since 1996 there have only been 90 [name]Willoughby[/name]'s born in the UK and is definitely more of a last name. I just can’t picture it on a person of any age and seems way too last namey for me. I’m not sure if this sort of names as a stereotype for being popular in the UK but it really isn’t; the majority of popular names are very US and Celebrity inspired.

[name]Barnaby[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] are lovely names, really love the first two.

[name]Beauregard[/name] reminds me of Budgerigar, but I do love the name [name]Beau[/name].

[name]Remy[/name] is gorgeous but [name]Remington[/name] reminds of the Hair Care and Hunting equipment brands.

[name]Montgomery[/name] is way too last name and [name]Monty[/name] sounds very pretentious.

I like them all. Using last names as fn is common in the South so I wouldn’t bat an eye at any of these

I don’t think [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] fit in. They’re dull and lack the regalness of [name]Barnaby[/name], [name]Remington[/name], [name]Beauregard[/name], and Montygomery. [name]Barnie[/name], [name]Remy[/name], [name]Beau[/name], and [name]Monty[/name] make a great sibset

Wilby is cute, but the full name [name]Willoughby[/name] reminds me of the rakish character in the well-known British book/movie Sense and Sensibility. The [name]Willoughby[/name] in that story is a philandering jerk who breaks hearts and is looked down upon by the community. This would only be a problem among people familiar with the character, obviously, but it’s something to take into consideration.

I think [name]Willoughby[/name] is a cool name.

I ditto nat108, haha. I would have just as soon guessed some of those were Southern, esp. [name]Beauregard[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name] (esp nn [name]Barnes[/name]), [name]Lincoln[/name] (I prefer nn [name]Cole[/name]), and [name]Willoughby[/name] (nn [name]Wills[/name] or [name]Will[/name]). I agree with the pp, too, that [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] don’t fit with the rest of your list.

For those longer, more elaborate “British” names, what about:

[name]Fitzwilliam[/name] (another route to [name]Will[/name]/[name]Wills[/name] but I like [name]Fitz[/name] or [name]Fritz[/name] as a nn, too)
[name]Fitzpatrick[/name] or [name]Fitzroy[/name], too
[name]Leopold[/name] ([name]Leo[/name])
[name]Reginald[/name] ([name]Reggie[/name] or [name]Gin[/name])
[name]Rochester[/name] (nn [name]Chester[/name] or [name]Rock[/name])
[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Algernon[/name]
[name]Percival[/name]
[name]Thackeray[/name]
[name]Maximilian[/name]

I like [name]Willoughby[/name] a lot! I’ve heard it considered more for girls before I joined Nameberry, but I still really like it. Several months ago I came across a [name]Henry[/name] [name]Willoughby[/name] in my family tree, and I thought that was amazing. :slight_smile: I like [name]Will[/name] as a nn, or even [name]Lou[/name]/[name]Louie[/name]…

I also love [name]Sullivan[/name] and [name]Lincoln[/name] from the rest of your list! [name]Love[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name] and [name]Beau[/name], too, but I especially love [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I wouldn’t be able to use it 'cause there’s a place called [name]Willoughby[/name] Spit in [name]Ocean[/name] View, Va ([name]Norfolk[/name] area) that was created by a hurricane many years ago. And Wilby for a nickname makes me think “We’ll be…right back”. [name]Just[/name] had to point that out.

I like your [name]Arnie[/name] nickname. That’s what my grandma called my grandpa & his name was [name]Arnold[/name]. Never was given a middle name.

I had never thought of the nn [name]Barnes[/name] for [name]Barnaby[/name] & I love it! Thank-you, ellenelle!!
Also, I do love [name]Alastair[/name]. [name]Reginald[/name] & [name]Leopold[/name] were also on the original list for my first post, actually!

[name]Ashley[/name]–I hadn’t thought of [name]Lou[/name]/[name]Louie[/name] as a nn for [name]Willoughby[/name], but there is a ‘lou’ in the middle, even if it’s a different sound in the full name!
Thank-you, I really like it, and I think my SO will, too!!

I really like [name]Willoughby[/name]. I have never thought of using it, but there is something to it for sure. It doesn’t have a very masculine sound to it. The soft sound of willow might be a little effeminate for some, but paired with the nn [name]Will[/name] I can definitely see it being used.

I have to agree with sheflieswithherownwings that even though these are “British” names, anyone given a name like that in the UK would stick out like a sore thumb. I actually think they work much better in the US where giving surnames as first names is far more common. Using those names in the UK would probably get you labelled as pretentious (especially [name]Beauregard[/name], [name]Remington[/name] and [name]Montgomery[/name]). [name]Barnaby[/name] would do ok here though.

That aside, I do like [name]Willoughby[/name] and I think it could work as a first name.

[name]Barnaby[/name] - My favourite of these.
[name]Lincoln[/name] - I actually associate this more with [name]Abraham[/name] [name]Lincoln[/name] than with the English city of [name]Lincoln[/name].
[name]Montgomery[/name] - nms, it’s too much.
[name]Sullivan[/name] - nms, but it’s ok.
[name]Beauregard[/name] - nms, it’s too fancy.
[name]Remington[/name] - I like [name]Remy[/name], but [name]Remington[/name] reminds me of [name]Remington[/name] hair care appliances.