WLF Name Origin Breakdown!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!

I was a little curious about the origins of my top names, so I decided to make a pie chart so I could see the breakdown!!

Girls:

If you had asked me to guess, I definitely would have said my top girl names were mostly Latin, so it looks like I was almost correct!! Greek was the most, with Latin a close second, and not far behind that is the other category (which included primarily Scandinavian names, but also had a few random ones like Turkish and Russian!!). I also noticed that, while I felt I had enough [name_u]French[/name_u] origin names to make a category here, I ended up not having any [name_u]French[/name_u] origin names on my boys list.

Boys:

[name_f]My[/name_f] boys graph was particularly surprising, because if you had asked me before, I would’ve said I definitely have the most Greek names. According to this graph, [name_f]English[/name_f] origin names blow all my other boy names out of the water by far, followed, by Latin, and then a tie between Greek and Hebrew. I was actually surprised at how many Hebrew origin names I had, and noted that [name_u]Irish[/name_u] / Gaelic / Welsh / Scottish had a much larger presence on my boys list over my girls

Overall:

Between my two sets, it was a total even tie between Greek names, Latin names, and [name_f]English[/name_f] names!! The Greek and Latin were not surprising to me, but the [name_f]English[/name_f] was. I’m pretty sure the large [name_f]English[/name_f] presence may be due to my affinity for word names (that happen to be in English) that may be skewing the data, but unsure about that. Overall, this was a very fun activity which didn’t take too long, and I’d love to see everyone else’s results if they have time!!

11 Likes

Those are great! I would’ve guessed Greek and Latin names would make for the majority of my names, both for boys and girls. I have used names that I am most likely to use.

I was actually surprised to see so many [name_f]English[/name_f] names for my boys list. All origins were taken from Nameberry.

2 Likes

Where do we go to do this? lol

1 Like

Nerds! I love it!! :smiley:

1 Like

I literally just looked up “Pie Chart Maker Free” and made sure I did everything in the same order on both charts so the colors would stay the same!!

Wow, I love this breakdown!! And yes same, the [name_f]English[/name_f] names from my boys list really surprised me as well!!

1 Like

How did you do these charts? I want to try too :star_struck: @AStudyIn_Scarlet

1 Like

I used Canva! There are loads of templates on there.

1 Like