Worst/cruel name you ever heard

I have a list of names that I think are cruel and horrible to name a child. For instance: [name]Bandit[/name], now why would you want to name a child [name]Bandit[/name]???! I think thats beyond mean! Also names like Pistol, [name]Stone[/name], any kind of food, etc. I’ve even seen BandAnna! :roll: Beyond CRAZY! Of course there is a ton more too! But I can’t think of all of them right now!!

One time, around 2002 or so, I was shopping in the [name]Junior[/name]'s Dept at [name]Macy[/name]*s. There was a mother calling to her toddler “JonBenet! JonBenet, get over here!” facepalm

A boy whose middle name was “[name]Danger[/name]” and another boy whose name was “[name]Valiant[/name] Champion”.

We have a student in our county named Klamidia.

One of my ancestors – the youngest of 14 – was named Ohel.

On toddlers and tiaras a couple of weeks ago, there was a girl names Siryniti… Although it’s meaning is not cruel, the way they spelled it is quite horrible! Poor kid is going to have to be spelling her whole life and have to deal with the strange looks from other people. I’m not even sure I spelled it right, all I remember were a lot of "i"s and one “y”.

I went to high school with a [name]Harry[/name] Wille. Why would people do that to their child? Why?

Merseycakes,

That reminds me of a funny/sad story. I was in college and a friend of mine was named [name]Richard[/name]. He went by [name]Richie[/name]. One day we had a very old guest lecturer who would look on the roll and call out names at random to answer a question. Halfway through the class, the lecturer started yelling “[name]Dick[/name]” , " [name]Dick[/name]" , [name]DICK[/name]!" Is [name]Dick[/name] not here today? Wait it says [name]Richard[/name]" My friend slowly raised his hand and said " I go by [name]Richie[/name]". The lecturer looked at him and said " So no one calls you [name]Dick[/name]? " I thought the whole class was going to fall over laughing so hard.

So be careful with potential nicknames!

There is a girl in this city called [name]Adora[/name] [name]Belle[/name]. [name]Adora[/name] would be OK, [name]Belle[/name] is lovely if a bit trendy, but [name]Adora[/name] [name]Belle[/name]? Not very nice.

Klamidia? Gasp! That’s terrible! And I’m shocked that anyone would ever use JonBenet. So sad.

I know of a boy named Bryceson. Completely ridiculous! And in my home town there’s a woman (35/36 yrs old) named [name]Crystal[/name] Ball. Ball is the last name. I also went to school with not one, but tw o guys named [name]Michael[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]. Problem was they were both known as [name]Mike[/name]. [name]Just[/name] say [name]Mike[/name] [name]Hunt[/name] three times fast. I can’t believe the parents didn’t think about that!

[name]Melody[/name] Scales. [name]Sister[/name] named [name]Harmony[/name] Scales.

Also, I taught a young lady named Apinun-- pronounced, I kid you not, “opinion.” There was another girl at the same school named Comma. COMMA.

There is a very successful singer/musician whose last name is [name]Bush[/name]. He named his son [name]Tucker[/name]. [name]Tucker[/name] [name]Bush[/name]? Really?

I went to school with a [name]Harry[/name] Mann. He was a cool kid, though. I think he was able to work past his name, but that is seriously ridiculous. Also, I definitely saw that Toddlers and Tiaras episode. In fact, that show has quite a few kids with cruelly misspelled names.

a customer at the car dealership my SO works at. [name]Richard[/name] (went by [name]Dick[/name]) Pullen
pronounced exactly how it looks like it should be pronounced. High school must have been torture! :o

I walked by a car today with one if those decals with all the kids’ names. There were three girls names. I can’t even remember the other two because the third one was DeKay. :o

Seriously.

I don’t care how much you loved your Auntie [name]Kay[/name]. DeKay is not a lovely honorific.

The worst I’ve heard is in the book Freakonomics when they talk about the dad who named two of his sons Winner and Loser. Turns out Winner went to jail and Loser became very successful. Strange.

DeKay

Sweet mother of mercy! :shock:

By far the worst name I have ever heard Female (fuh-ma-lei).

This woman gave birth to a healthy baby girl in a [name]Florida[/name] hospital. She didn’t know what to name her just yet so the nurses took the baby to the nursery for a while to allow the mom to get some sleep after labor. When they brought the baby back, they wheeled her in in one of those hospital bassinets that have the the label on the front with the mom’s last name and ‘male’ or ‘female’. Well…since it said female…the woman actually thought the hospital had went ahead and named her baby! :o And she was okay with it, so now her daughter’s name is Female.

[name]True[/name] story.

In [name]IKEA[/name] once, I overheard a mother talking to her little baby… her daughter was named [name]Jeremy[/name]… If I had any hopes that the baby was just a boy dressed in pink ruffles, all was lost when the mother referred to the child as “she”.

I’ve met a [name]John[/name] [name]Hooker[/name] and a [name]Candy[/name] [name]Kane[/name]. I also worked in a NYC elementary school with a large Dominican immigrant population…many kids had the usual Spanish names [name]Juan[/name], [name]Jose[/name], [name]Marisol[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Luisa[/name]…but then there was a Usmail (pronounced you-SMILE), which came from “U.S. mail” and Usnavy (pronounced yous-NAH-vee), which came from “U.S. navy”. The Dominican teachers explained to me that those two names caught on in the DR in the 1950s, when the phrases were printed on various items (food packages, clothing, trucks, etc.) donated to the country by the US military. I guess the current generation of kids named Usnavy and Usmail are named after older relations…I hope. Here’s an article I found which features a Usnavy: http://hispanicprpro.com/2011/04/06/hispanics-in-the-mainstream-what”s-next/

On a further note, there were some other notable names in the classes which I found a bit shocking-- Aranyeli (pronounced “ah-ran-GEL-ee”), who told me that yes indeed, she was named after “orange jelly”. She was nicknamed Yeli (pronounced “jelly”).

One more name: I hesitate to add this because I did not meet him firsthand. But several teachers told me that there was a recent student, since moved on to middle school, whose name surely took the prize for cruelest. His name was Sexonthebeach (all one word). His mother had given birth to him in the DR before she learned English. :frowning:

Let’s not fall into the trap of urban legends here. It can be tricky because some people genuinely have heard these stories from a friend, but even basically honest people get bored sometimes, and I think we should remember the vaguely racist undertones of some of these stories. (Have Babies Been Named After Embarrassing Medical Terms? | Snopes.com)

@anniebee: If freakonomics has it right, I wonder if Loser felt he had to make something of his life to prove himself wrong and Winner grew up feeling a bit over-entitled. :smiley: