Would those names work in the English-speaking world?

Dear all,

I hope the world was kind to you today.

My husband and I will start trying for a second baby soon. Our daughter’s name is Lucille. I am a French-speaker, but my children will grow up in a bilingual (English/French) environment. Many names on my list are very French, vintage names. Would you be kind enough to let me know if the following names are usable in an anglophone setting and if not, why? We have not agreed on those, but I would like to know if I should take them off the list before I get attached!

Thank you in advance!

Girls
Aline
Axelle
Solène

Boys
Antonin
Armand
Edmond
Émilien
Marius

1 Like

for girls, [name_f]Axelle[/name_f] is the only one the would really work. for boys [name_m]Armand[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] would work. [name_m]Marius[/name_m] could also work but would sound a bit odd

this is coming from a northern American

I think they all work to varying degrees in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country if you don’t mind anglicized pronunciations. If expecting the typical [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation, some options might be quite difficult to enforce. For example, I’d expect most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to pronounce [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] the same way.

Also, diacritical marks may not be accepted on birth certificates in some countries, which is worth considering for Solène and Émilien.

1 Like

[name_f]Aline[/name_f]: this would be easy and intuitive for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers.

[name_f]Axelle[/name_f]: this is a little trickier. [name_m]Axel[/name_m] is a somewhat trendy name for boys currently, so it would often be pronounced the same. When pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable (which I’m assuming is correct?) it sounds a lot like Excel, which is a common Microsoft Office program. I would avoid.

Solène: this is very pretty! You would often hear it pronounced So-LEAN, but if you’re up for needing to correct people I think it’s usable.

[name_m]Antonin[/name_m], [name_m]Armand[/name_m], [name_m]Edmond[/name_m]: these are all less used but straightforward in [name_f]English[/name_f]. No issues I can think of.

Émilien: this might be taken for a girls’ name by some, and I’m sure the pronunciation would sound much less lovely in an American accent, but it’s very nice.

[name_m]Marius[/name_m]: pronunciation would be straightforward. The main US association for Mary-derived names on boys is [name_m]Mario[/name_m] from the video games, though that may be an upside!

1 Like

As an American who does not speak [name_m]French[/name_m], I think they would all work in [name_f]English[/name_f].

I do think [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers will use heavier sounds the endings of the boys’ names (arr-mand, ed-mond, an-tuh-neen etc) and it might be hard to enforce the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciations if that bothers you.

I also think the second vowel in Solène might take explaining (people might be inclined to say “so-leen”) but I think it’s a gorgeous name and an easy correction!

1 Like

I agree with the above posters - I don’t think any of these would be impossible in [name_f]English[/name_f]. It really depends on if you want to be particular about using the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciations (as they will sound slightly different coming from native [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers) and if you want to correct people (which is totally okay, if you do).

1 Like

They’d definitely sound very chic and [name_m]French[/name_m] to [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers I think, but they’re still usable and very nice!

1 Like

I think most of these could work :slight_smile:

I think the only ones which might need to be corrected are:

• Solène (might be said So-leen or So-lane rather than saw-lehn)
  • [name_m]Antonin[/name_m] (might be said Ann-to-nin)
  • [name_m]Armand[/name_m] (might be pronounced Ar-MAND or Ar-mond - with the ‘d’ pronounced)

However, I think the pronunciations could be easily remembered/explained

1 Like

[name_f]Aline[/name_f]: not sure why this wouldn’t work as it’s straightforward, but it does remind me a lot of a transportation company whose trucks I see a lot… so it doesn’t feel super namey to me. But I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.
[name_f]Axelle[/name_f]: I think it could work but I think many Americans would confuse it for “excel”. I do find it intriguing but [name_f]Adèle[/name_f] or Azèle might be a bit more usable.
Solène: only reason it might not be usable is Americans would say so leen, but I think that’s easily corrected.

1 Like

Argh posted before I got to the boys.

[name_m]Antonin[/name_m]: this would be mispronounced pretty badly but if you’re ok with that, it’s a nice name. [name_m]Anton[/name_m] or [name_m]Antoine[/name_m] would be easier.
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]: I think this is fine, it’s classic enough most Americans I think are familiar with it… there was a famous historical [name_m]Armand[/name_m] in my state and I grew up loving The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Pimpernel (which has an [name_m]Armand[/name_m] in it), so maybe it’s just me. I’m a big [name_m]Armand[/name_m] fan.
[name_m]Edmond[/name_m]: I like it more than Edmund… definitely usable!
Émilien: definitely usable but I would be prepared to realize it would be said differently (Americans would definitely say the N).
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]: infinitely usable and so cool!

I echo the sentiment about accents, definitely check where you are to see if they’re allowed! Some states are allowing them now but they didn’t used to allow accents at all for my understanding, and I’m not sure about other [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking countries.

[name_f]Axelle[/name_f], [name_m]Armand[/name_m], and [name_m]Marius[/name_m] are my favorites of your options! Good luck!

Thank you for your comment! Yes, it is a good idea to think about the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciations and whether they bother me or not. I like [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] in both languages, but maybe not [name_m]Antonin[/name_m].

For the accents, it will be alright here - my daughter has a middle name with an accent and it was registered properly. We’re lucky, as I think many other Canadian provinces do not do it.

1 Like

Thank you for your help! Two people mentioned the similarity between Microsoft excel and [name_f]Axelle[/name_f]. It’s funny in [name_m]French[/name_m] they sound so clearly distinct that I hadn’t thought of it. It’s good to know anglophones might think about it though.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment! Mispronunciations do not bother me too much, as long as it is not too big a difference. [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] / [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is fairly close, but [name_m]Antonin[/name_m] has two nasal sounds so might not work. Thank you for pointing this out!

1 Like

… also want to note that I think any of these are usable as a middle if you want to. The more I see [name_m]Antonin[/name_m] the more I love it… what a shame it would be said so differently in [name_f]English[/name_f]!

[name_f]English[/name_f] is not my first language, but I think that the following options will work well in [name_f]English[/name_f] and perhaps other languages besides [name_m]French[/name_m]:
[name_f]Aline[/name_f]
[name_m]Antonin[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]

nothing’s too out of the ordinary to not be used; i think they all work! however, typical french pronunciation might not be used, suh as armand / edmond / solene. i could see aline and marius being the most usable!

Yes! All of these names would work. The only one I could see potentially being a problem is [name_m]Emilien[/name_m] just because it may not sound as beautiful in [name_f]English[/name_f]. It is definitely a beautiful name though.