Would you name your baby a name you loved if it rhymed with something sexual

Example: I love the name Decker, but my husband vetoed it because he doesn’t want kids calling him “pecker”.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

In general I would say no, but I think it depends on what the name is and how commonly it’s used. [name_m]Rick[/name_m] rhymes with d**k and there are still plenty of men out there named [name_m]Rick[/name_m]/Richard.

3 Likes

I think it depends how common the name is. If it’s very unusual and rhymes with something sexual, then I wouldn’t use it, as it would be more obvious to think of the rhyme. To use your example, I think [name_m]Decker[/name_m] is common enough that I wouldn’t worry

3 Likes

‘[name_m]Horatio[/name_m] Fellatio.’ I did it and have yet to regret it any sense… but my boy isn’t pubescent.

3 Likes

I definitely didn’t think of that and totally agree. Thank you.

No. (I miss [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] being on my list so much, but I can’t deal with it rhyming with f***er)

1 Like

Depends on the name, like for instance [name_u]Andy[/name_u] and [name_u]Randy[/name_u] rhyme with handy but I don’t think most kids would notice, [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] spelled backwards is “I moan,” [name_f]Orla[/name_f] looks like something else, everyone is loving [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] lately but just put a ‘ped’ in front of it and there you go…

It also depends on where you live-- where I live, pecker is a known insult but I don’t think most kids would catch on. In elementary, it could be difficult, it’s really a toss up-- my guess would be that it wouldn’t be that bad (if you’re not in an area where pecker is the go-to insult). In high school, everyone just found these connections mildly funny-- I went through 4 years of Wh*re-a [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] & Sleeping Beauty and it never really phased me. I’m sure other kids had stupid nicknames like that too, but I don’t remember them.