Would you name your baby the same name as your sister's dog?

We love a name, but it just so happens to be the name of my sister’s dog. The dog is not old, so probably will be around for at least a few years (probably 10 or fewer). They also live in a different state, so we are not around the dog. Would it be weird to name our baby the same name, or is it automatically off the list?

For me, that’s a dealbreaker. But I guess it depends on how close you are with your sister and whether they will hear about this dog at end lot or not

@kth96

We don’t discuss the dog, and we have been to her state once in the 3 years she’s lived there (so we don’t travel there often). But it does still feel a little weird just knowing that the dog might have the same name. I don’t think our baby would know it shares a name with the dog unless a family member told him, which could happen I suppose.

I wouldn’t do it.

For me that’s a no. [name_m]How[/name_m] is this child going to feel if he finds out that a dog had the name first? He might be teased if someone finds out.

I can sympathize - four years ago, after sharing with my sister that [name_f]Olive[/name_f] was my top choice for a future daughter, she got a puppy and named her [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. She has since sort of apologized and I have mostly let it go, but, come on!

I’ve found other favorite names since then, but I even dreamt last week that I had twins and named them [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Ines[/name_f], so I understand that it’s hard to give up on a beloved name when the reasons compelling you to are external.

I encourage you to search for variations of the name in question. If it’s a boy’s name, could you save the girl’s version for a daughter? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you love it for its nickname, and if so, is there another name that offers the same nickname? Is there a international variation that would distance the dog’s name and the child’s name just enough?

Out of curiosity, what is the name? We could throw out suggestions for similar names or ways to rework the same name.

Best of luck with this conundrum!

If you literally NEVER speak to her then its fine. Other than that it would be confusing for the child and you and your sister.

A big fat no. Find another name

Thank you everyone. I think this helped us to narrow down from 2 names to one!

I literally wouldn’t care. My own sister named our childhood cat her favorite name, the cat died, and about ten years later she named her firstborn the same name. She didn’t even recall the cat until it was brought up.

Now, I know this dog is still alive, but honestly, it won’t be around forever, and people will think of your child before the dog. The only time it could be confusing is if they are together, and you call for one and both come running (which sounds cute actually, not a terrible situation). I say use it if you love it.

I agree with the previous poster, I don’t think it’s a big deal. My sister has a dog named [name_m]Benji[/name_m] and I am open to calling a future son [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], which is one of the names on our list. I never even realised the connection until reading this post. If you love the name you should use it.

Honestly, I find it weird how so many people are against pets and kids having the same name, which will be shared for at most something like 20 years, but many in the same breath will say it’s fine if cousins share the same name.

I don’t see why it would be an issue at all. There’s no identity confusion with government paperwork, they aren’t going to get confused at school or when family members are talking, etc. I would never give up a name I loved because someone used it on a pet.

This is so silly to me! I don’t see why it would be a big deal at all unless you see the dog like weekly, or if it’s a reeeeaaaally uncommon name. If you really like the name then who cares!

Yeah, would be a no go for me.

In my family, pets are family, so it would be a no for me. Unless it were a meaningful family name or something, and you made the family aware of it first. But if you just happen to love the name too, I would let it go. Good luck!

I think it depends on the name. If it’s a common and established name then I wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s a fairly original or modern name then it’s probably just too iffy to go forward with it.

My cousin has the same name our family cat did, and admittedly we did tease her about it a little as we’d had the cat for about 2 years before our cousin came along. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though we were very close it never caused too much difficulty. If you’re not going to see the dog every weekend for the next 10 years and you absolutely love the name, I’d say go for it!! The worst that’ll happen is a bit of a light-hearted laugh between you and the others at family dinner once every 3-5 years :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be a no for me.

It would be no big deal at all for me. I’m surprised how many people would give up the name because of it. I guess if the name was super unusual that might be different.

I would do it! I would not change the name I love and have regrets for the rest of my life. Your son is going to live way more than 10 years. It’s a dog, not a serial killer. We all wear the name of a dog anyways…