Would you name your child after a song you liked?

For instance, I love the song ‘[name]Sara[/name]’ by [name]Jefferson[/name] Starship and I love the song ‘[name]Angie[/name]’ by the Rolling Stones. Would you name a child a name based solely on a song that you really like/love having that name in the lyrics? Since I love both songs it gives me a good association with both names, plus I just like the look of ‘[name]Sara[/name]’, it looks so pretty…

I always wanted to name my daughter [name]Emily[/name] after very early [name]Pink[/name] [name]Floyd[/name]'s “See [name]Emily[/name] Play” but then [name]Emily[/name] got to be so popular. [name]Brian[/name] [name]Eno[/name] has a song with the name [name]Rosalie[/name] in it, but my husband hates that name. I also love [name]Maxwell[/name] from “[name]Maxwell[/name]'s [name]Silver[/name] Hammer” or whatever it’s called by the Beatles. I know, I’m really dating myself with all these choices. [name]Lucy[/name] is so pretty from “[name]Lucy[/name] in the [name]Sky[/name] with Diamonds”. I also love “[name]Avalon[/name]” by [name]Roxy[/name] [name]Music[/name]. We named our dog after [name]Roxy[/name] [name]Music[/name]. That’s my favorite group. I also love “[name]Cecilia[/name]” by [name]Paul[/name] [name]Simon[/name].

[name]Susan[/name], Funny you should mention [name]Emily[/name]. I wanted to name a girl [name]Emily[/name] back on 1976 when I discovered [name]Simon[/name] & Garfunkel’s For [name]Emily[/name], wherever she should be"

If I really loved the song, “[name]Cecilia[/name]” comes to mind, heck yeah, I’d use it! II hated the fact that my name was in a song or two as a kid, nobody ever sing “Tell [name]Laura[/name] I [name]Love[/name] Her” or [name]Laura[/name]" to me, I’ll punch you! :stuck_out_tongue: But After I named [name]Josephine[/name], I found several songs with her name in it, and downloaded them all, I love “Ride on [name]Josephine[/name]” by [name]George[/name] Thorogood & the destroyers!

Something like [name]Sara[/name], however; I’d not worry about anything related, there are so many [name]Sara[/name]/h’s running around I doubt anyone thinks of songs with her name in it. It actually might be a bonus for her when she’s bigger. And think of this, she could use that song for her “Daddy dance” at her wedding! (Now that makes me all teary, thinking about that!)

I have to say, I pretty much roll my eyes every time the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet [name]Melissa[/name]” comes on. Some “clever” person always points out: “Hey, it’s your song!” In high school, my friend [name]Angie[/name] was absolutely tortured by people (including me) who felt compelled to sing rather than speak her name. It’s irresistible! Ditto for a friend named [name]Diana[/name]-- she was always, always “Dirty [name]Diana[/name].”

That said, there are some songs where, say, the name is only in the title, or only mentioned a couple of times rather than providing its entire hook; in those cases, I wouldn’t mind so much.

Haha, I named my fish after Beatles’ songs. And yes I would do that. I love some names because of songs and I definitely wouldn’t say no to any name just because it was in a song.

For example, I think [name]Maggie[/name] [name]May[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Skye[/name] are both gorgeous names, and I got them both from Beatles’ songs.

Would the Kinks get someone punched? Loooola, lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-la! :wink:

I love the song “[name]Daniel[/name]” by [name]Elton[/name] [name]John[/name], but [name]Daniel[/name] is so popular in [name]California[/name]. We know at least ten of them.
I love the song “[name]Lola[/name]”. The Kinks are incredible!
This is a really different kind of song, but I love “An [name]Silvia[/name]” by Schubert.

[name]Melissa[/name], No, I like that one, it’s upbeat. I’ve found I prefer songs that are. Whiny, sad songs are the kind I hate. Think “[name]Barry[/name] Manilow” for the most part, he’s the type of music I loathe. I have sevreal friends that sing :[name]Lola[/name]" to me, even in type. And one friend sings “Whatever [name]Lola[/name] wants… [name]Lola[/name] gets” to me. Which suits me just fine! :smiley: