Would You Name Your Son..?

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] or [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]?

would you name your son, in today’s world, [name_u]Madison[/name_u] or [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]? both names are more commonly perceived as ‘girl names’ but something about them keeps pulling me back for a boy…

I would for sure go with [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]

I would sooner name a boy [name_u]Madison[/name_u] than a girl. However I would use [name_u]Madison[/name_u] for a middle name for a boy. (I prefer [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] for a girl)

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u], I’ve never liked the name [name_u]Madison[/name_u].

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] absolutely – this one is all boy to me.

I don’t feel that [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is perceived female at all. I think it could easily be used for either but leans toward boy imo. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Madison[/name_u] personally, but I always feel any name that ends in son is more boy.

I have only met one [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], and he was a little boy, about two years old. And even besides that, I have never thought of [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] as a girl’s name. I would definitely consider [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] for a boy; it happens to be on my long list! [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u], though, despite it’s surname status, has been so overused for girls and pretty much never used for boys, so I do perceive it as more feminine. However, there are a lot of surname-type names that are far more popular for girls that I happen to much prefer for boys – [name_u]Madison[/name_u] just isn’t one of them. I personally have never cared for the name for either gender; it simply does not appeal to me at all. Still, I think it would be a bold, but not crazy, choice for a boy today because, as said above, most (not all, but most) names that end in ‘son’ definitely lean boy.

I like both, but I like [name_u]Madison[/name_u] slightly more. I would for sure name my son [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. There is a baseball player for the [name_f]Arizona[/name_f] Diamondbacks named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] Bumgarner. I never heard [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] on a girl. I used to work with a guy named [name_u]Ellis[/name_u].

[name_u]Madison[/name_u], definitely not. I only know it as a girl name.
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] comes across as all boy to me, but I’m not a fan.

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] feels more masculine than feminine to me.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] is definitely more popular for girls than boys, especially through the 2000s. Also nickname [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is very tied to females.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] is way more popular as a girls name (as are it’s possible nicknames: Mad, [name_f]Maddy[/name_f], but you could get away with [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]) so I’d go with [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] definitely feels like a girls name to me.
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is a boys name here in the UK. It’s been in or just outside the top 100 since 1997 (lowest being 103rd). [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] for a girl peaked at 248th in 1998, and current sits at 920th. I quite like the name [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] for a boy

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] definitely. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is too American girl for me

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is definitely boy to me and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is 100% girl (maybe you’d like [name_u]Madigan[/name_u]?). I wouldn’t use either of them personally though.

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u], absolutely. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] to me is about 100% female and outside of the USA, it feels too stereotypically American to use.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] is a stretch for me to get behind…And I (thought) I was pretty gender neutral with names!

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is forsure amazing for a little boy. I’m all in on [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] :raised_hands:

Would I personally? No, perhaps not, but do I see an issue with naming a son either name? Also, no.

My sister and I actually grew up with male Madisons, Addisons, Harpers, Emersons and Mackenzies, so none of the “gone to the girls” names seem odd imo. Also, to me, a unisex name is just that - unisex. I don’t really label them as more/less one gender or the other.