Would you still use?

So my husband and I really like the name [name_u]Edward[/name_u], with the nickname [name_m]Ted[/name_m]. However, after having a top 10 name myself, I really don’t want my child to have a popular name. I hated being [name_f]My[/name_f] Name Initial.

[name_u]Edward[/name_u] was the 47th most popular name in Australia last year, which isn’t too bad especially as it dropped two places in popularity last year (I’d prefer out of the top 50 but it’s passable)

However, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is 19th and rising in popularity and a popular nickname for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is also Ted/Teddy. So I’m worried that between the Theodores and Edwards, there will be a lot of Teds getting around. I know some of the Edwards will go by [name_u]Eddie[/name_u], and some of the Theodores will go by [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

Would you still use the name? We have other boys names that we don’t hate, but we love Edward/Ted.

1 Like

I would still use it! I don’t think it’s likely he will come across many other Ted’s. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_u]Edward[/name_u] is at 47 and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is at 19 there is a much wider distribution of names these days. Go with what you love!

2 Likes

I would still use it. I think a lot of Theodore’s go by [name_u]Theo[/name_u] more than Ted/Teddy. 47 is not that high. [name_f]My[/name_f] sons was in the top 30 and I haven’t met many boys with the same name.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

It’s really up to you. I’d still use it if it was the one name that you truly loved. It’s a handsome classic. It’s not like it’s a fleeting trendy name that will sound dated in ten years. You could always go w/the nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m] or [name_m]Ward[/name_m] if you’re into those?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use it for sure!! If you love it, it is perfect. Plus, there may be some more Theodores and Edwards, but likely not as many Teds given all those other possible nicknames!

1 Like

I’d still use it. I’ve encountered a couple of Edwards and a few Theodores, none who used Ted/Teddy.

1 Like

I think you’ve ultimately got to decide how much popularity bothers you. I say that because I’m in Australia too and I do find Ted/Teddy to be very popular, at least where I am. I know a lot of Theodores with the nickname Teddy/Ted especially, and a couple of Edwards with either the nickname Ted/Teddy or Ed/Eddie. As you said, [name_u]Edward[/name_u] is 47th so I think if [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] wasn’t so incredibly popular at the moment you wouldn’t have an issue but, unfortunately, it is. In saying all of this, [name_u]Edward[/name_u] is such a great, classic name and if it’s your favourite I think you’ll regret not using it, irrespective of popularity.

1 Like

[name_u]Will[/name_u] it majorly bother you if he knows a few other Teds? If so then you need something more obscure.

I personally think it sounds like it’s bothering you already and I think that has the potential to only get worse.

How about -

[name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u] nn [name_m]Thad[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Joss[/name_u]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] nn [name_f]Ro[/name_f]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] nn [name_f]Ro[/name_f]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m] nn Ru
[name_m]Orson[/name_m] nn [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] nn [name_u]Will[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] nn [name_u]Albie[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] nn [name_u]Desi[/name_u]
[name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] nn [name_f]Em[/name_f]
[name_u]Moses[/name_u] nn [name_u]Mo[/name_u]
[name_m]Benson[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] nn [name_m]Wes[/name_m]
[name_m]Fredrick[/name_m] nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]
[name_m]Irving[/name_m] nn [name_m]Vin[/name_m]

Go for it! I don’t think there will be too many Teds.

Don’t think you should change it!
[name_u]Edward[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are very different names, the common nn isn’t worth changing from a name you love.

I would still use it if it’s the name you love !!

I think it is ok if only the nickname is popular, because if he is one of two Teds in a class he can fall back on being [name_u]Edward[/name_u] instead of [name_m]Ted[/name_m] Initial. It isn’t as bad as if the full name you loved was the super popular one.

Thank you! That’s a really good point. And I support just because I plan on calling him Ted/Teddy doesn’t mean that he will like/use that nickname or his friends or even other members of our family.

I would still use the name

I would still use it. I don’t know Australia’s statistics as well, but in the USA even the most popular names are given to a way smaller percentage of babies than in years past.

For example, in the 90s the top 10 girls names were all given to over 1% of babies, and most years 3-4 of those were given to over 2% of babies. But in the past 10 years, only the #1 name has been given to over 1% of babies. The #2 name in 2020 is approximately as common as the #15 in 1990. The #20 name in 2020 is about as common as the #45 name in 1990.

If Australia’s following a similar trend, it’s safe to guess that the #19 [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is probably about as common as a #40-50 name in 1990. And once you take into consideration the variety of nicknames used for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], then the occurrence of [name_m]Ted[/name_m] is probably about as common as a #80-100 name in 1990.

Obviously these are estimates, but I think these kinds of comparisons can be really helpful when considering if a name is too popular.

Also, whether of not he has another [name_m]Ted[/name_m] in his class at school is too random to truly control, unless you use an extremely unusual name. For example, my name (Sarah) was #5 in my birth year, but I was the only [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] in my class from 3rd grade all the way through high school. In fact, there was only 1 other [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] in my entire high school. But my class did have 2 Kylie’s, and that wasn’t even in the top 100 (#158).

I’m in the UK. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is popular. [name_u]Edward[/name_u] not so much. Ted/Teddy is popular but I don’t think it would deter me, provided you can live with meeting a few others who go by Ted/Teddy.

Yes, use [name_u]Edward[/name_u] - timeless, classy, versatile. Very steady use in Australia, never super popular. Don’t choose something you don’t love, or even just like less due to popularity in a particular year or decade.