Would you…

…give your child a middle name, knowing the combo with your last name is the same as a well-known (locally, not nationally, I don’t think) school in your area? For obvious reasons, the first name/last name combo does not work because it’s the name of the school, but would it work as a middle instead?

What say the berries?

• It works as a middle!
  • I wouldn’t do it at all.

0 voters

I need an example to figure this out… Let’s say there’s a school near me called [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_m]Hill[/name_m] Elementary, and my surname is [name_m]Hill[/name_m]. So, would I name my daughter [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_m]Hill[/name_m]? Would I name her [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Hill[/name_m]? Hmm. I wouldn’t do either, I don’t think.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly! That’s a great example. Since middle names aren’t used too often, I didn’t know if it would be a big deal to use it there, but I’m thinking it might be too much either way. I’m curious what others think!

Hmm I think a few things would affect my decision here. First, how uncommon is the name? If it’s pretty specifically tied to only that school then I’d say no, but if it’s a pretty common name then I think it’s probably okay. Second, what is the likelihood of you living in that area for a long period of time? Third, how big of an area is it? For example, even though I like the name [name_u]Easton[/name_u] I could never use it because it’s the name of a city near me, but I have [name_u]Camden[/name_u] on my list and would use it even though I live fairly close to [name_u]Camden[/name_u], NJ because it’s such a big city I don’t think people would connect it as closely as they would with [name_u]Easton[/name_u], if that makes sense?

I think it’s fine especially as a middle. Who knows where you or even more importantly your child is going to live in the future, I wouldn’t let it stop me from using a name I love

1 Like

I’m not sure, if I love the name so much, I would use it, but others probably not. However, I do agree with what @LibelluleClaire said though, you don’t know where your child will live in the future, so maybe it won’t matter.

1 Like

As a middle name with a first name that’s unrelated to anything local, totally fine.

If my child was very likely to attend this school I might not do it.

1 Like

It depends if the child will ever go to that school. If yes then I’d steer clear!

Yes but only if the name was meaningful to me (like wanting to honour a family member, etc.). If I just liked the sound of it, this would make me pick something else!

I wouldn’t because I personally would be bothered by it, regardless of whether it was a real issue.

Thanks, everyone! To answer a couple of questions, the kiddo would never attend the school, and the name indirectly honors a family member (not the exact name but close). I realize that I don’t know where the child will live in the future, so it might not matter, which is why I’ve been going back and forth on the middle name placement (first name would be an absolute no-go for reasons stated previously). I appreciate all of the insight!

1 Like