Would you?

Would you name your daughter [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] even if she had dark hair when born?

I really like the name however myself and hubby do not have a fair hair on our head (apart from greys).

6 Likes

I don’t really know why not? Hair colour, (and eye color) can change over time or be dyed later in life. I know plenty of Rubys, Scarletts, and Gingers who aren’t redheads, a [name_m]Krispin[/name_m] who doesn’t have curly hair, [name_m]Karas[/name_m], Melanies, and Laylas who aren’t “dark”, et cetera. I wouldn’t let meaning alone stop you from using a name you love

Totally. I actually know someone who has a black-haired daughter named [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].

1 Like

Yes - I know it means golden flower, but [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] etc. are used on people with any colour hair

1 Like

Yes!

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a golden flower that stereotypically comes in yellow and orange hues there’s no way I would associate that with a hair colour. As other berries have said I similarly know hair haired Finn’s and blonde Layla’s. You really do not need to fit the physical description of your name. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] ‘Lily’ her physical colouring does match any [name_f]Lily[/name_f] colours (she has brown afro hair, brown eyes and brown skin) nobody asks why I named her [name_f]Lily[/name_f] because she hasn’t got white hair!!

100% I love the name [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] but would not associate the hair with the colour of Marigold’s at all! I know a dark haired girl named [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] ‘Goldie’ and she suits it perfectly.

Yes, absolutely! I believe it works for a girl with any hair color or hair type.

I actually think that would be really cool!!

1 Like

Sure. I actually think it’s better when the hair color doesn’t match like that.

I would absolutely still name a girl [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] even if they had dark hair. I personally am of the mind that anyone can pull off any name, and the meaning of a marigold both symbolically and literally have nothing to due with hair color, anyways. Definitely not a problem at all! :slight_smile:

Yes

Yes, because the flower name is nothing to do with the person’s colouring. It could be your favourite flower, you could love the Victorian flower symbolism for [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], you could simply love how the name sounds or the cheerful optimism of the imagery of a bright yellow flower.

Sure why not? The meaning is “golden flower”… doesn’t really have anything to do with hair color? I would wager most Violets do not have purple hair… I am not sure most people would have an expectation for hair color for anyone with a floral name? [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is lovely for a little girl with any type of features, imo!

Yes, I would.

Your daughter will be golden in ways other than her appearance! It’s a beautiful name, too. :yellow_heart:

Absolutely! I’ve considered [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and any bio kid I have would likely have a dark complexion, and dark hair, and I’ve never thought it would be an issue with [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].