Wren

Hello, I’m really loving the name wren if bub #2 due in [name_u]December[/name_u] is a girl, however we already have a little boy named [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u].
Is this too ‘birdie’? alternatives?

Perhaps [name_f]Brenn[/name_f] or [name_f]Brynn[/name_f], or maybe [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]?

It does sound a bit too much now that you mention it. However, I don’t think it’s an immediate realization, it requires more deeper thought when introduced.

I personally love the name [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and don’t think it’s too “flighty” or “birdy”. If you are trying to keep the bird theme here is a link to some more bird names : Bird Names for Babies | Nameberry
My personal favourite bird related names are [name_f]Circe[/name_f] and [name_f]Starling[/name_f]. Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

So they should be too “birdie”, but as I say them aloud, I don’t think they are too matchy because they strike me as so different. My associations with [name_u]Wren[/name_u] are soft and subtle, whereas [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is more vivid and vibrant. I think if I were just being introduced to two kids named [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], the bird thing wouldn’t hit me immediately.

Thanks I never thought of It like that!

My husband likes [name_f]Arwen[/name_f].

I think I’ve just given up on girls :oops:

[name_f]Arwen[/name_f], [name_f]Anwen[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] and [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] may be good alternatives? It is a bit bird-y otherwise, but it’s definitely not a deal-breaker reason to not use a name you love

I had to think hard to even get what you were talking about. I think [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a great option.

I don’t think they are too birdy. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a real life bird whereas [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is a mythologyical creature and/or a city. That being said it is really whether that would bother you. They are kind of matchy and I wouldn’t choose them together, but I don’t think its a deal breaker if [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is the name you love!

Hm, I do love [name_u]Wren[/name_u] (hugely crushing on it at the moment for an eventual 3rd child, actually!) but together with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] it is a little bit too birdy I think. I don’t really like obviously “themed” sibsets.

[name_f]Arwen[/name_f] is lovely and could have [name_u]Wren[/name_u]/[name_u]Ren[/name_u] as a nn or pet name - all the letters and sounds are there. Plus it has the same mysterious/mythological vibe as [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u].

For me it is a) too birdy (though I love birds) and b) too different within the bird kingdom. With [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] being a mythological bird that is reborn from its own ashes, it has a lot of heroic connotations, and then you have wren, which is a little brown songbird. I like both, but I think it would be easy for a [name_u]Wren[/name_u] to feel she was considered less than her brother.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the idea of [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] (much better matched to [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] I think) with [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as a nickname.

I like [name_u]Wren[/name_u], and I don’t think the bird connection is too much. But I think [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] goes better with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]. Your son has an awesome name by the way!

Being on the other side of the pond, it’s the [name_u]Royal[/name_u] [name_u]Navy[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] aspect of it that puts me off it, it feels military too me for a girl’s name

It’s alright, but [name_u]Wren[/name_u] sounds a little insubstantial next to [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], one is minimalist, one is elaborate and fiery. My favourite name with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is [name_u]Eden[/name_u]. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a pretty name on it’s own though.

I would keep looking.

I see [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] as a mythology name and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as a nature name. But, now that other posters have pointed out that the [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is heroic/dramatic and the [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is more humble, I’ll agree that [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] is a good compromise.

I think I prefer [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is the ultimate Nameberry name, too trendy for my taste and too birdie with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u].

[name_u]Wren[/name_u] is very pretty!

I think [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a truly beautiful and strong name for a little girl. It’s girly but not sugary, strong but not overtly masculine and I think it is a wonderful choice.

I don’t think it’s too “birdie” and I like [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] together. You could always use [name_u]Ren[/name_u]?

Thanks for all the insight I never thought of putting [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], people gave us so much crap over his name telling us it was weird and for girls, and nerdy that I was worried about people judging us for girls too :frowning:

I think [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a fine name, even if she has a brother named [name_m]Pheonix[/name_m]. A [name_m]Pheonix[/name_m] is a mythological bird name, and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a real bird found in nature. Also when the sibilings grow up they’ll go off in their own directions and hardly anyone is even going to hear both of their names together.

I would go with your gut on this one. I also don’t see why names have to “go” together, I’m more about finding the right name for that person, then making sure things match together well. I know pets are different than humans, but I have three cats: one named [name_m]Calisto[/name_m], another named [name_f]Glinda[/name_f], and another named [name_f]Ziva[/name_f]. Does those names go together? Noooo, but they are the names that are right for them.