Writers' Quick Poll Thread

What should I name her?

She…
Acts happy, but has a ruthlessly angry side, compassionate, composed, modest, enthusiastic, positive, not very persuasive, can appear shallow or naive at times, but is the pop of color everyone needs, sincere–except to herself. She’s a peacemaker, cheery, timid, quirky, underestimated, fun-loving, reasonable, giggly, yet surprisingly wise, “innocent.”

She’s 18, and wears pastel sundresses, high top Converse, jean jacket covered in pins. She’s a biker, but not very competitive. She has strong, long legs, dark skin, intricately braided hair, high cheekbones, and wears pearl earrings and necklaces.

I think she’s a…
  • Athalie
  • Tatiana
  • Aida
  • Thisbe
  • Magnolia

0 voters

What should be her name?

Description: The character is a twenty six year old girl. She has natural tan skin, sharp golden amber eyes and mid-back length straight black hair. She is tall (about 5’9") and wears classy clothing with gold/diamond jewelry, almost always wears high heels, likes to use glitter in her makeup regularly, and sometimes wears sunglasses and/or hats, like this:

(This is only what her ideal outfit looks like, not what she looks like)
Her voice is kinda deep, but in the way [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] Johansson’s voice is deep, very smooth, and very pleasant to listen to. She also has a slight [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] accent. She is great at singing sea shanties like The Wellerman and sings amazingly in general.

She has a mother named [name]Karina[/name_f] [name]Lorraine[/name_f] Hollow (maiden name [name_f]Haile[/name_f]), a father named [name]Alexander[/name_m] [name]Grey[/name_m] Hollow, two older brothers named [name]Daniel[/name_m] [name]Aiden[/name_m] Hollow and [name]Theodore[/name_m] [name]Levi[/name_m] Hollow, who are twins, and a baby sister named [name]Pandora[/name_f] [name]Nadine[/name_f] Hollow. She also has a [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] [name_f]Cat[/name_f] named [name_f]Olive[/name_f] who is very affectionate, loyal to and protective over only her. She has a spft spot for animals and likes shiny things (gems, gold, silver, etc.). She can play classic guitar, electric guitar, all sorts of flutes and piano. She hates math and dislikes being told what to do. She smiles through everything, and talks quietly when she’s mad. She is cunning, polite, not-so-ethical, wild, scary when she’s mad, responsible, quick-witted, mature, resourceful, quite bexing when she wants to be, and mischievous. She does anything she wants and does anything to get what she wants. She’s not really evil, but she certainly isn’t good. She likes to call people nicknames, she doesn’t believe in god, her favorite season is fall, her favorite colors are black, white, red, gold and diamond (yes, I know that isn’t really a color), and her favorite flower is the white lotus and the blue rose.

Things she would say:
“We both know how this is going to end, [name_f]Sugar[/name_f].”
“This is me, playing nice. You wouldn’t want me to be the bad guy, would you, [name_f]Sweetheart[/name_f]?”
“[name_f]Darling[/name_f], you don’t have the slightest idea.”
“I don’t want your apology, [name_f]Honey[/name_f].”
“I smile through the pain, because I know I’ll laugh when I give it back.”
“Sometimes, I just wish I’d fall asleep and never wake up.”

So, what should she be named?
  • [name_f]Rosaleen[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Hollow
  • [name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] Hollow

0 voters

(The name had to be pretty but old-fashioned, so those two are the finalists. Though I think they would’ve been the finalists even if the name didn’t need to be old fashioned)

1 Like

which works better?

the character goes by clarke, but she also needs to have a real first name. she was born in quebec in the early 2000s and has 4 siblings, violette, lea, julian & émilie, but violette was the only one born before her. a lot of her family speak french as their primary language.

• clara
  • claire

0 voters

1 Like

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] would probably fit better with the family but I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] might be better as a full name because there’s the possibility it could be pronounced like the beginning of Clarke.

6 Likes

Okay…

(The image won't size down)

She’s bold, impatient, fierce, selfless, courageous, independent, loyal, faithful, has no filter, sincere, resentful, energetic, is like inertia–once she starts, you can’t stop her–slightly vindictive, indecisive, chaotic, confident, social, used to winning, competitive, doesn’t think things through, kind but is so honest she can appear blunt/brash, surprisingly good with kids.

She’s a…
  • Rowen “Ren”
  • Theodora “Theo”
  • Theresa “Teddy”

0 voters

And now for her…

Also won't size down.

She’s a hothead, exhausted by people, yet actually very empathetic, impatient, seemingly constantly angry, intuitive, grouchy, cranky, doesn’t like attention, anti-social, fierce, focused, impolite, doesn’t like authority, blunt, brash, sarcastic, civil, always tired and grumbly, not very good at consoling people. Finds rules optional.

She’s a…
  • Rainy/Rainey
  • Maisie
  • Laurel

0 voters

I shall be back later, friends.

I almost chose [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] “Theo” but decided on [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] “Teddy” and the same with [name_u]Laurel[/name_u] and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]

2 Likes

I’m naming some background chraacters today so there might be a few more polls later! Name for a high strung, highly stressed competitive cheerleader?

• Amity
  • Serenity
  • Bryn
  • Haven
  • Piper
  • Campbell
  • Kendall
  • Tinsley

0 voters

I usually never choose my IRL name in random polls but that description fit me so well that I had to choose it lol

2 Likes

Oh I forgot that’s your name! :joy:

2 Likes

Which relationship plot sounds the most interesting?

• Close siblings to enemies to close siblings again
  • Friends to enemies to friends again
  • Friends to enemies to lovers

0 voters

[name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] Gilmore’s name

1 Like

I mentioned before that I’ve come up with a character who rejects her name and goes by Baby, but now I’ve been thinking about naming her nerdy sister Barbara.

• works
  • works if Barbara never goes by Barbie, Babsi etc
  • nope sorry you found the literally only name that doesn’t go with Baby
  • I know the perfect substitute for Barbara

0 voters

since Baby sounds like BAY-bee and Barbara sounds like BAR-buh-ruh, i think it’s fine

1 Like

rowan & lachlan make such brilliant brothers!

2 Likes

Unisex/masculine leaning French names for a nb French character

• Arnaud “Arnie”
  • Éliot
  • René
  • Thomas (tow-mah)
  • I have a suggestion

0 voters

*tow said like the verb

ignore my vote, it was an accident :woman_facepalming:

Character Last Name
  • Lochlan Clive
  • Lochlan Elway
  • Lochlan Walsh
  • Lochlan Mconley
  • I have another idea!

0 voters

i wouldn’t do it just because reading “Barbara” and “Baby” might be a little bit confusing. If your main character is “Baby” with a “B” for most of the story, you should avoid naming a secondary character with that letter. Unless it is something essential for the story and/or truly distinctly different like [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f].

1 Like

depends on the genre. my impression from each of these:

Friends to Enemies to Lovers = Romantic Comedy / Action / Coming-of-Age Tale
Close Siblings to Enemies to Close Siblings Again = [name_u]Drama[/name_u] / [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult [name_u]Novel[/name_u]
Friends to Enemies to Friends Again = Comedy / Coming-of-Age Tale / [name_m]Young[/name_m] Adult [name_u]Novel[/name_u]

1 Like

Bakery names? (Some are a little (lot) cheesy whoops)

• Cake Walk
  • Sugar Coat
  • Sugar & Frosting
  • Honey & Frosting
  • A Little Piece of Heaven
  • A Slice of Life
  • Other? (Suggest some!)

0 voters