Writers' Quick Poll Thread

Getting ridiculously ahead of myself, but…

Say an author publishes a historical fiction novel and you really like it. (if you don’t like the genre, for the sake of the question pretend you do :joy:). They are now coming out with a second book, which is totally separate from the first one, not a sequel or anything. Would you expect it to be another historical fiction novel? Would you expect it to be set in the same general place or culture (could be as vague as ‘in the US’ or ‘about upper class French people’) and/or time period? Would you be disappointed if it wasn’t, because you liked the first book?

• I would expect and hope for another book in the same setting (general location/culture + time period)
  • I would expect the same general setting, but wouldn’t be disappointed otherwise
  • I would expect historical fiction of some kind, but not necessarily the same setting
  • I wouldn’t expect anything

0 voters

I have an idea for a historical fiction story that I might do for NaNo this year. I am not a published author and probably won’t be any time soon, if ever. But what is a quick poll thread for if not polls about wildly hypothetical situations :joy:

1 Like

i feel like i would be surprised, but if i liked the author, i’d still read them anyways. besides, debuts could be a completely different genre than what their second would be, especially depending on the market, etc, so i wouldn’t be surprised in that vein.

2 Likes

That makes sense! And I only slightly considered that there could be differences in the market/actual publishing part, so I’m glad you brought that up! Obviously this is all super super hypothetical though, lol

2 Likes

oops, somehow messed that poll up, sorry :sob:

Is Primrose too tied to The Hunger Games?
as in, could I include it in my story or should I stay away from it?
(to be more clear, I wouldn’t use Katniss for this reason. I wasn’t sure if Primrose was on the same level in other peoples eyes!)

• yes, it’s unusable
  • it’s very tied to it, but still maybe usable
  • it’s a little tied to it, but still usable
  • it’s tied to it, but usable so long as there are no other Hunger Games names used
  • no, it’s completely usable
  • it’s only usable if other characters have plant/flower names
  • it’s only usable if no other characters have plant/flower names
  • too tied to it now, but would be more usable years from now
  • other (@ me!)

0 voters

and…

• I have read & seen The Hunger Games
  • I have only read the books
  • I have only seen the movies
  • I have never seen or read The Hunger Games

0 voters

sorry this got long, thank you!!

I think I would avoid it if you’re writing a dystopian YA novel, even if there are no other Hunger Games names used. But for any other genre (even if it’s YA) I think it’s fine! Especially if the characters have different personalities.

4 Likes

thank you so much for your input!! do you think it’s okay if it’s a fantasy world? like think middle earth/lord of the rings/magic & some non-human creatures, etc?

(also, I forgot to add this to my post but feel free to be honest, none of the characters have official names yet so you wont hurt my feelings or anything :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Yes, definitely! If anything that feels like the perfect setting for the name [name_f]Primrose[/name_f].

3 Likes
Is Mildred Alexandria too long?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes, but use it!

0 voters

IMO [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] would flow better, but that extra syllable doesn’t hurt much and it’s prettier anyway :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Giving my character a full name for the nickname he goes by, which is “Pam”. I’ve been stuck between two options for over a week! He’s around 19-ish, and is a sort of free-spirited, “bright-eyed and bushy-tailed” tinkerer who loves the satisfaction of inventing things and wants to see the world. His mother came from wealth but for reasons, he has no contact with her and doesn’t want to associate in any way with that side of his blood. Hence, he has truncated his given name (that should sound “fancier” but still ideally not feel totally out of place for his character?) to just “Pam”.

I like the first on because it gives me Galahad (i.e. fancy) / Callaghan (i.e. casual enough to suit him) vibes, but I like the second one because I like how the “Pam” part is hidden in the middle (but it sounds almost too out-of-place Italian-esque and not as fitting to him).

Thanks for your votes!

• Galepam
  • Epamilio

0 voters

What would be their names?

Character #1

Description: The character is a twelve year old boy, he has brown hair, fair skin, and has a big pointy nose; he is tall and is overweight with a enormously big belly. He wears a scarlet baseball cap, a red buttoned down shirt, a yellow shirt and khaki shorts.

He is a twelve year old boy who is friends with Character #2 and they like to go on adventures together. He is loyal, creative, smart, intelligent, down to earth, responsible, selfless, mature, imaginative, logical, serious, bright, witty, humorous, strong, confident, laid-back, clever, knowledgeable, wise, and honest though he can be a bit pessimistic, cynical, sarcastic, moody, critical, grouchy, and harsh at times. He likes to draw, reading books, play sports, ride his scooter, go to the arcade, skateboard, and like having a good time with Character #2.

• Harold
  • Grant
  • Rowan
  • Roland
  • Grayson
  • Henry

0 voters

Character #2

Description: The character is a twelve year old girl, she has chin medium length brilliant orange hair with a green headband, fair skin; she is short and is slender. She wears a vivid azure three quarter shirt and blue skorts.

She is a twelve year old girl who is a friend of Character #1 and second in command to him. She is best described as bright, friendly, nice, kind, sassy, feisty, optimistic, enthusiastic, compassionate, fun-loving, active, helpful, clever, loving, loyal, sweet, outgoing, confident, sociable, and considerate she is known to be naive, bossy, stubborn, arrogant, immature, narcissistic, and a little insecure; she is also a tomboy. She likes to hang out with Character #1, watching reality shows, roller skate, reading magazines, listen to music, get on social media, going to the mall with friends.

• Lily
  • Annie
  • Emily
  • Molly
  • Chloe

0 voters

Middle for Hallow Woods (Woods is Surname)
  • Hallow Autumn Woods
  • Hallow Drucilla Woods

0 voters

2 Likes

[name_u]Hallow[/name_u] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] [name_m]Woods[/name_m] is gorgeous!! :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

1 Like

Do you think Frankie Dart from community will join the trio Annie, Troy and Abed?

• Yes
  • No
  • Possibly

0 voters

Having trouble deciding between names for my two identical twins! The story is a sort of archeological, 1920s inspired fantasy, and they’re both heavily involved in their father’s tomb raiding business. Ezair’s the snarky, cocky favorite son with more street smarts than you’d expect and ???’s introverted and observant with daddy issues for days.
Which do you prefer?

• Ezair and Aydin
  • Ezair and Zayn

0 voters

Thanks!

What should be their official names?

1. Description: The character is a twelve year old boy, he has brown hair, fair skin, and has a big pointy nose; he is tall and is overweight with a enormously big belly. He wears a scarlet baseball cap, a red buttoned down shirt, a yellow shirt and khaki shorts.

He is a twelve year old boy who is friends with Character #2 and they like to go on adventures together. He is loyal, creative, smart, intelligent, down to earth, responsible, selfless, mature, imaginative, logical, serious, bright, witty, humorous, strong, confident, laid-back, clever, knowledgeable, wise, and honest though he can be a bit pessimistic, cynical, sarcastic, moody, critical, grouchy, and harsh at times. He likes to draw, reading books, play sports, ride his scooter, go to the arcade, skateboard, and like having a good time with Character #2.

• Grant
  • Henry

0 voters

1. Description: The character is a twelve year old girl, she has chin medium length brilliant orange hair with a green headband, fair skin; she is short and is slender. She wears a vivid azure three quarter shirt and blue skorts.

She is a twelve year old girl who is a friend of Character #1 and second in command to him. She is best described as bright, friendly, nice, kind, sassy, feisty, optimistic, enthusiastic, compassionate, fun-loving, active, helpful, clever, loving, loyal, sweet, outgoing, confident, sociable, and considerate she is known to be naive, bossy, stubborn, arrogant, immature, narcissistic, and a little insecure; she is also a tomboy. She likes to hang out with Character #1, watching reality shows, roller skate, reading magazines, listen to music, get on social media, going to the mall with friends.

• Molly
  • Emily
  • Annie

0 voters

What should be their zodiac signs?

Character #1

Description: The character is a twelve year old boy, he has brown hair, fair skin, and has a big pointy nose; he is tall and is overweight with a enormously big belly. He wears a scarlet baseball cap, a red buttoned down shirt, a yellow shirt and khaki shorts.

Henry/Grant is a twelve year old boy who is friends with Annie/Molly and they like to go on adventures together. He is loyal, creative, smart, intelligent, down to earth, responsible, selfless, mature, imaginative, logical, serious, bright, witty, humorous, strong, confident, laid-back, clever, knowledgeable, wise, and honest though he can be a bit pessimistic, cynical, sarcastic, moody, critical, grouchy, and harsh at times. He likes to draw, reading books, play sports, ride his scooter, go to the arcade, skateboard, and like having a good time with Annie/Molly.

• Aries

• Taurus

• Gemini

• Cancer

• Leo

• Virgo

• Libra

• Scorpio

• Sagittarius

• Capricorn

• Aquarius

• Pisces

0 voters

Character #2

Description: The character is a twelve year old girl, she has chin medium length brilliant orange hair with a green headband, fair skin; she is short and is slender. She wears a vivid azure three quarter shirt and blue skorts.

Annie/Molly is a twelve year old girl who is a friend of Henry/Grant and second in command to him. She is best described as bright, friendly, nice, kind, sassy, feisty, optimistic, enthusiastic, compassionate, fun-loving, active, helpful, clever, loving, loyal, sweet, outgoing, confident, sociable, and considerate she is known to be naive, bossy, stubborn, arrogant, immature, narcissistic, and a little insecure; she is also a tomboy. She likes to hang out with Henry/Grant, watching reality shows, roller skate, reading magazines, listen to music, get on social media, going to the mall with friends.

• Aries

• Taurus

• Gemini

• Cancer

• Leo

• Virgo

• Libra

• Scorpio

• Sagittarius

• Capricorn

• Aquarius

• Pisces

0 voters

Is Wayward Sons and Daughters a good name for a story about first year college students finally returning to their hometown for the summer? It’s like a coming of age/you can’t go home again thing.

• yeah
  • nah

0 voters

What should be her name?

She is a 24 year old girl who is a next door neighbor of a boy named Oliver she knew him when he was four years old when she used to babysit him. she works at a
convenience store where he would go to get snacks, hang out, and usually talk to her about his day that happens while she talk about her’s; she usually gives advice and tell what he needs to do and he goes on about his business. She also likes to tagalong on the adventures with him and his friends Justin, Peter (who has a crush on her), Barry, and Miranda just to serve as the big sister/ protector of the group. She is best described as nice, cool, calm, optimistic, friendly, warm, loyal, wise, mature, individualistic, logical, independent, honest, quirky, inventive, relaxed, curious, resourceful, imaginative, easygoing, fun-loving, responsible, clever, witty, and humorous though she can be uptight, cynical, short-tempered, pessimistic, fussy, grumpy, arrogant, impatient, hypocritical, impulsive, stubborn, pushy and selfish at times but nevertheless she is a good person. She has a big pointy nose to detect a scent in her friends (which she likens to a pleasant smell). She likes to relax, ride her bike, hang out with her friends, cooking, and play video games.

• Taylor
  • Julie
  • Emily
  • Kimberly
  • Marissa
  • Nicole
  • Missy

0 voters

I have a team of special agents, split into different specialized units. Although all of the agents are very highly trained with basic weaponry, two of these units have the agents out in the field, so they are all trained in a wider variety of weapons. Now I’m trying to match which agent should learn which weapon(s)/fighting style(s) based on their backgrounds and personalities. They can each have more than one and there can be overlap between them, I just put a bunch of options down for each. Also it’s set in a world that is sort of a mix of dystopian, sci-fi, and fantasy.

Agent 1 description

Agent 1 is quiet but observant. He doesn’t say much and is usually very blunt when he does speak (not in a “brutally honest” kind of way, just very straight to the point). He is always listening to what’s going on around him, so he tends to know more about people than they know about him. He always looks sullen and hates being the center of attention. Although he doesn’t voice his thoughts very often, he is fiercely loyal to his teammates and would do anything to protect them. He lost his parents at a very young age and grew up as a deckhand on the cargo ships, where he was often mistreated. As a teenager, he was recruited for this special agent team and began his training. It has been his life ever since, and he has no interest in anything else.

Agent 2 description

Agent 2 is very uptight and strict about everything. She was one of the first two to be recruited to the special agent team and her training happened on the road, so to speak. Because of this, she is very driven and mission-oriented, not putting up with foolishness or distractions. Over time, she does loosen up, but she is still very particular about everything. She loves being a part of the special agent team and is very close to her teammates. She tends to be somewhat deadpan in everything she says, but those close to her know that she does care about them and can tell when she’s being serious, sarcastic, or joking. She grew up in a very secluded village in the mountains but left as a young teenager, living on her own until the point when she was recruited into the team. She has always had a fascination with bladed weapons, appreciating their sleek and simple design.

Agent 3 description

Agent 3 is about as opposite from Agent 2 as can be and is also head over heels for her, despite being a massive flirt around other women. He loves to pick fights with her just to test his own fighting skills and has an ongoing rivalry (borderline frenemies) with the team leader of his unit. He hates learning but is very intelligent and remembers information easily, often surprising others with how much he knows about certain topics. If he’s not on mission, he’s usually at the military compound drinking, despite Agent 2’s efforts to get him to stop. Although he can be reckless, he does care for his teammates and doesn’t want anything to happen to them. He also has a soft spot for kids, although he would never admit it. He and his sister, Agent 4, are also orphans, growing up on the streets of their city and learning at a young age how to steal without being caught. When they were caught, they excelled at getting away and were known as terrors in their city. He’s straightened out since joining the military but still has a tendency to get himself and others in trouble, although he’s always there to help them get out of trouble, too.

Agent 4 description

Agent 4 was usually the ringleader when she and Agent 3 got into trouble as kids. She is very cold and calculating and doesn’t really care for anyone, even her own brother. She often uses people to her own advantage. Although she hangs out with the others when they’re not on mission, she doesn’t share much about herself. She is one of the best fighters on the team, though, so they all put up with her. She won’t think twice about disposing of an enemy combatant, but she’s not so cold-hearted that she won’t save people in need. She loves to be in the thick of a fight and gets restless without some sort of action. She hasn’t fully given up her thieving ways from their childhood but still excels at getting out of trouble.

Agent 5 description

Agent 5 is the quietest of the team. She rarely talks, so not much is known about her. She also tends to move quietly without realizing it, so she often scares people by seeming to just appear next to them. She is a prankster but also loves combat and is a very skilled fighter with and without weapons. She is very driven, and it is dangerous to be on her bad side because she will stop at nothing to get back at you. She is much shorter than all her teammates, so she has learned ways to fight involving using her opponent’s height/weight/movements against them. She is a risk-taker and loves adventure but also loves just going shopping with her friends, trying on new clothes and getting their hair and nails done together. She also grew up without parents. She was recruited as an older teenager for the special agent team and loves her new family very much.

Agent 6 description

Agent 6 is a mixture of Agents 2 and 3, being both very strict and militant but also goofy and carefree with her friends. She often joins Agent 5 in her pranks. She also loves combat training, especially hand-to-hand combat and martial arts. She doesn’t look very muscular but is very strong, so she often catches opponents off guard with her fighting prowess. She is also a master at using her environment to her advantage in a fight, using improvised weapons or using the terrain to move quickly (sort of like parkour). She is a master of disguise, often able to hide in plain sight, even from her own teammates. Like Agent 2, she grew up in a secluded mountain village but ran away at a young age, traveling and learning as much as she could about the world and its people.

Agent 7 description

Agent 7 is also rather soft-spoken, but he has a fiery temper. He is one of the newest members on the team, but he’s a fast learner and is willing to put in the work to catch up with his teammates. He had a rough childhood, so he is hesitant to trust people at first, but he is very loyal to them once he does trust them. He would gladly sacrifice himself for his teammates and often does protect them and civilians from harm. He grew up in a city known for its culture and cuisine but also for the criminal underground present there. He never got involved with them, but everyone in the city is constantly aware of their presence, so they live on edge at all times.

Agent 1
  • Sword
  • Bow
  • Sabre
  • Katana
  • Javelin
  • Crossbow
  • Whip
  • Quarterstaff
  • Hook-sword

0 voters

Agent 2