Xanthe - how do you pronounce?

Since nameberry lists two different pronunciations of [name]Xanthe[/name], I wanted to know how berries pronounce it. [name]Both[/name] are pretty, but I admit I am drawn to the ex-AHN-thah pronunciation. I am also wondering about [name]Xanthia[/name] (or Xanthea?)? Is there a difference between American English and British English or Australian English?

I say ‘[name]Zan[/name]-thee-’, and absolutely adore this name. It was actually my ‘almost name’, so I’m a little biased.

Similarly I would say ‘[name]Zan[/name]-thee-ah’ for [name]Xanthia[/name]

I’m British, and I say [name]ZAN[/name]-thee(-a). Very pretty :smiley:

[name]Auburn[/name]

I love it! I live in the US and actually have never been sure how to pronounce it. I have been pronouncing it “[name]Zan[/name]-tha”

Names beginning with “X” are pronounced like a “Z” (eg. [name]Xavier[/name]= zay-vee-er) so [name]Xanthe[/name] is correctly pronounced “zan-thee” or “zan-thah” depending on whether you want to say it the classical Greek way or not. I don’t know why Nameberry would have the “X” pronunciation as it’s not accurate. It’s a lovely name with either ending.

I wasn’t sure whether it began with an X or Z, but I knew it ended in a long E.

I would pronounce it [name]Zan[/name]-th just by looking at it

definately [name]Zan[/name]-tha or [name]Zan[/name]-thee

In Australia and New Zealand we also pronounce it [name]Zan[/name]-Thee. My husband’s cousin’s daughter is named [name]Xanthe[/name]