You were almost named

I thought it would be fun to talk about the names we could have ended up with. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know if your parents considered other names before they settled on the one they ended up giving you? What would have been your name if you were the other sex? What about your siblings?

If I had been a boy, my name would have been [name_m]John[/name_m]. I think it’s boring so I’m glad I’m not :joy:
The girl names they were considering for their second child (my brother) were [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

If your parents had more names they were considering, do you prefer any of them to your name?

I was very nearly an [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Right up until my mum saw me and changed her mind!

Kaitlin was considered early on but i’m glad they chose my name because I know soooo many Kates/Kaitlins

This is a great thread idea, bit it’s great enough, that there’s already a successful one going!

[quote=“[name_u]Harvest[/name_u]-[name_u]Endellion[/name_u], post:1, topic:360825, full:true”]
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents would have named me Jeffrey so I’m glad I was a girl, because so many famous Jeffreys, well, what can I say?

[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] was a contender and I’ve always had a soft spot for the name since.

Then by my birth time they had chosen Laurie Ann(e?). After 36 hours of labor, my mother gasped, “She doesn’t look like a Laurie Ann!” to which my also young father assured her, “Anything you like! Anything!”

And lucky for me because I dislike Laurie on girls and my husband’s ex was a Laurie. Still is actually. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Would you consider posting yours on that one as well, so that we don’t have too many similar threads filling up the forum?

3 Likes

My dad really wanted my boy name to be [name_m]Brandon[/name_m], but my mum wasn’t sold. I’m very glad my name is not [name_m]Brandon[/name_m]. I don’t like the sound, though interestingly I have never met or heard of a [name_m]Brandon[/name_m] here is the UK (I know of a couple Brendans though) while my name is very popular.
When I was a couple of days old, my mum wanted to change my name to [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. She says basically the only reason she didnt was that I had already received cards in my name, and she didnt want it to be different.

Oh, I’m sorry, I really should have checked.

I would post it there, but I don’t know how to do it.

1 Like

No, because I have no idea how to do that. If someone else wants to, it’s fine with me. [name_f]Busy[/name_f] teacher/non-digital native here. :slight_smile:

I was almost named [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f].
[name_u]Story[/name_u] time: The reason my parents didn’t choose [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is that a few months before I was born hurricane [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] hit the east coast. Fun fact about hurricanes: a lot of babies get born nine months after them, due to people being stuck at home without power and what not. And a lot of those babies end up getting named after the storms they were conceived in. So at the last minute my parents decided not to name me [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], and it was a good thing they did, since there ended up being 3 different Isabelles in my grade at school.

If I was a boy I would have been [name_m]Beauregard[/name_m] “[name_u]Beau[/name_u]”. Middle name would have probably been [name_u]James[/name_u] because it’s a family name. I honestly really like [name_m]Beauregard[/name_m].

My name was pretty much always going to be Emm@ L0uise but they did discuss [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and a few other names.

My brother’s name is N@thaniel Tim0thy. He was going to be [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] but my grandma talked my mom out of it. After [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] got shot down they were dead set on naming him [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] “[name_u]Wolf[/name_u]” but bailed out a few months before he was born lol.

If my brother was a girl he would most likely of had my name since he’s older than me.

Anthony if I was a boy

If I was a boy [name_u]Dallas[/name_u] [name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_m]Zyaire[/name_m] [name_m]Keane[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_u]Declan[/name_u]
or
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m] [name_u]Milo[/name_u]
And if I was a Girl:
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f] [name_f]Angelica[/name_f]-[name_u]Lane[/name_u]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] Asalyn

I’m [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], but I was almost either [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] or [name_f]Briony[/name_f]

My mum loved [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] but my dad didn’t and my dad loved [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] but my mum didn’t!

I was so close to being [name_f]Briony[/name_f] after my grandad [name_m]Brian[/name_m] who died a few years before I was born but my cousin (who was 6 at the time) liked [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] better so thats what they picked!

I wish I was [name_f]Briony[/name_f] tbh, [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] is just too popular but I do still like it aha

My dad wanted an [name_f]Athena[/name_f] but my mom thought [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] was better because she liked [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]… so they compromised with [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]?I’ve always liked the spelling of [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] better.

Minerva’s a pretty cool name but I’d be embarrassed to be a [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] because I’m 5’9. I’d have preferred [name_f]Athena[/name_f].

1 Like

Other names my parents liked: [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]

If I was a boy: [name_m]Tommy[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]

I was almost named [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], except for the fact my dad couldn’t pronounce it. So they thought of [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/Emmie [name_f]Rose[/name_f], but couldn’t decide on the spelling. And my mom played with the idea of [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] being my name. But she settled on [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. For a boy, the only name they thought was [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], which was what my dad liked.

Yes! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Vered[/name_f] [name_u]Rice[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom wanted me to be [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] but the name “Saffron Rice” is… well it’s unpleasing to say the least. She also wanted my full first name to be [name_f]Sugar[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], luckily it was shortened down to [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] for my middle name. [name_f]My[/name_f] brothers name would’ve been [name_f]Golda[/name_f] or [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] if he was a girl, I’m sure I would’ve been [name_m]Zev[/name_m] if I was a boy (although now I have a dog named Lev)

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom wanted to name me either [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], but my (very traditional, very bossy) grandmother apparently told her to “take this more seriously, you sound like you’re naming a stripper!”, so she gave up on those pretty quickly. (and then ironically subsequently named me after a kind of party, but that’s a different story)

I’m glad I wasn’t an [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], I don’t think it would suit me and I grew up with so many Alexs that it would have gotten old fast. I like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] though

So I am a [name_f]Madisson[/name_f]. It was the only name my mum and dad could agree on and my mum wanted to spell it with a double ‘s’. Now, she regrets my name a little but only because she was not aware at the time that [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is my cousin’s middle name.

Anyways, my mum wanted to name me [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] or [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]. But my dad vetoed that because he did not want a ‘sexy Lexi’…

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad is big on horror movies so most of his name suggestions were influenced from horror movies, I believe. He wanted [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_u]Jade[/name_u] or [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f].

I don’t mind Alexis/Lexi but I prefer the spelling [name_u]Lexie[/name_u]. However I don’t think it suits me. I hate [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_u]Jade[/name_u]. I don’t mind [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], especially because it would hold some (accidental) familial ties to the name [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] 2x great grandmother was [name_f]Ann[/name_f], my great grandmother was [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Annie[/name_f], my grandma was [name_f]Linda[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f], her daughter was [name_f]Diane[/name_f] and I have two cousins with [name_f]Ann[/name_f] in their names: Kathryn-Ann and [name_f]Shyanne[/name_f]. So it would have been nice to have a connection.

As for boy names I was going to be named [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]. After my dad and grandpa and my mum’s brother and grandfathers. Not too exciting, glad I wasn’t a boy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] name was [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] right up until I was born, and then my aunt suggested [name_f]Amber[/name_f] so they changed it at the last minute. I’m pretty glad because [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] does not suit me at all.

If I was a boy, she said they had picked [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

Asa was my boy name!
Other names my parents considered for me were Lucy, Maya, Zoe, Louisa, Olive, Belle, and Greer, among others!