~ your own name!

what do you think of your own name? Would you name a child your name
you don’t actually need to mention your name unless you are comfortable!

my name is daisy, personally I quite like it but I used to have an issue with knowing dogs of the same name… My parents had more common names on their list such as emma, but they chose daisy. I was talking with them about this and they said they loved daisy the most. i’ve yet to meet anybody with my first name , plenty of dogs though :joy:

6 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

I appreciate how straightforward and classic it is. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] doesn’t really come with any expectations — except possibly age. I was born towards the end of the real [name_f]Emma[/name_f] boom in [name_f]England[/name_f] (although it’s still a Top 100 name now) so my name probably ages me a bit, but only by a few years.

I’ve done a lot of travelling as I’m a linguist by background, and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] has never caused me any problems internationally. It’s simple, familiar, and has no awkward meanings in other languages!

But it isn’t the most exciting name in the world, and at school I was always “Emma LastInitial” because there were so many of us. Now I’m finding that all my kids’ teachers and friends’ mums are also called [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! I wouldn’t have chosen it for my own daughter for that reason, even though I like it in theory and think it suits me.

Funnily enough, my mum now wishes she’d been a bit braver with mine and my siblings’ names! We all got lovely timeless classics that have served us well, but her taste has definitely got bolder and quirkier since she named us!

12 Likes

I’m [name_f]Stella[/name_f].

I’ve had a very rocky relationship with [name_f]Stella[/name_f] - I hated it growing up. I grew up in an area where I was a minority, so my name stuck out like a sore thumb against the names of my peers. I also looked very different, which didn’t help with the bullying. This combination resulted in me despising my name. However, when I got older and I moved to a different area, my name was a bit less “weird”, and I didn’t get bullied for it anymore. I still had a lot of trauma so I hated my name and chose to go by my middle names, [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_u]Clove[/name_u], at various times over the years.

It wasn’t until I was 17 that I began to accept my name again. I went to therapy and processed a lot of my childhood trauma, and subsequently began to appreciate my name for what it was. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents chose it because they fell in love with the meaning behind it, and now I can see why. I like my name now. It suits me, and it’s sweet, feminine, and understood internationally. I don’t see myself changing it.

Would I give it to a kid if it wasn’t my name? It’s hard to say… I’ve never really met other Stellas, so this name is well and truly mine. I just can’t picture it on someone else, let-alone my own kid! It has pretty sounds that I do enjoy in other names, but I don’t think I would give it to my daughter.

8 Likes

I’m a Hazel, named after my great-grandmother. I’ve always loved my name! Most often when I meet people, they tell me that a) my name is pretty and that b) they’ve never met a Hazel. I always love and appreciate these reactions! When I meet older ladies, they often tell my that their mother or grandmother had an old friend named Hazel. :rofl: I truly get this one a lot!

I’ve always enjoyed having a unique name. Now, however, Hazel has cracked into the top 30 in my country, and I can’t say I’m not disappointed! I liked it when the only other Hazel people knew was the girl from The Fault In Our Stars. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do really like my name and I’m very pleased to wear it. I think it really suits me! I would probably love to use it for a daughter if it wasn’t my name. I also adore my middle name and would love to pass it along to a daughter as a first or middle name—but I’ve kept that name a secret on here. It is in my UC, though, and it’s another classic, English, old name!

6 Likes

I love my name! It’s [name_f]Leah[/name_f], so it’s well-known with lots of history and is always fairly high on the charts but has never been too popular, at least in the US. I really like that it’s not strongly tied to any one generation and is well used in many countries. I also like that I can picture it on any type of person. It fits a calm, gentle vibe but also a fiery, energetic vibe, and I can totally picture an artistic and/or sporty girl with the name. I think it fits me really well, personally.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only complaint about my name is that it has multiple common pronunciations and also multiple spellings. But, that’s just a small inconvenience and it doesn’t bother me enough to discourage me from choosing names with multiple spellings/pronunciations in the future for my children.

I would probably have my name on my list if it weren’t my own name!

5 Likes

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with my name over the years. On my own, I like it. It was a bit different than my peers’ names and I like the meaning. It is associated with a flower which is nice on one hand but I’ve never been the graceful, flower-y type of person. I love the spelling and my name makes me happy when I see it written down, printed and not in cursive.

When the real-world gets involved, I don’t like my name as much. It has appeared in more than one list as a snobby, prissy cheerleader type. I saw it on one list online, listed as a “gold digger” name. That was hurtful. I’m not perfect and I certainly have my flaws but I’m not that stereotype that some people try to box me into just because of my name. Also, it has always been mispelled, misheard and mispronounced. I have a habit of saying my name and automatically spelling it. I used to wish I wouldn’t have to and stopped…but only because I lack the energy to care to correct people. If you call me X, I guess I’m X. [name_f]My[/name_f] in-laws still don’t get my name right after nearly a decade. I have the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] cards to prove it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is okay. It was a filler middle name in every sense. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents picked it because it sounded good with my first and last names. It does. I just wish it had more meaning to it. They could’ve chosen the name of an aunt, a grandmother, their favorite restaurant for all I care but I got one they drew out of a hat.

Would I give my name to my child if it weren’t mine? I don’t know. [name_f]My[/name_f] name isn’t necessarily the style of names I go for.

1 Like

I’ve never particularly liked my name but I can appreciate it for what it is.

It’s dated pretty heavily to a specific time period. It peaked either the year I was born or the year after and now continues to decline. Some things about my name have inspired me to look at lists differently. For example, in school I went by my full first and last name in a lot of classes. This was because not only was there another person with my first name, but there was another person with my first name and last initial. When my name is used in TV or movies it always seems to be a mean girl cheerleader - I don’t have an issue with that but I think it’s a prime example of the vision that comes along with my name. Besides the popularity and trendiness, one of my concerns is that it is incredibly “American”. It doesn’t work in other languages, it doesn’t incorporate my family’s history or culture.

I probably wouldn’t use it for a child, but at the same time if it weren’t my name I might have different associations or tastes? My mom at least has also expressed regret over my name. The official story is that they took a list of the top names and decided (what is now) my name was their favorite.

At this point I really don’t think I would want to change my name. I’ve never really thought about changing it, it’s always been who I am. Having a common name means I’m more likely to be able to find my name on personalized items. Growing up I had my name on water bottles, pencil cases, hoodies, etc. I also don’t have a name that turns heads which can be an advantage. I can put my name on socials (which 13/14 year old me did when making this bad username) and people are unlikely to figure out who I am. I also like the soft, warm sounds in my name and that it starts with the same letter as my mom and grandma.

2 Likes

I like my name (Ashley) and I think it suits me perfectly! A pp mentioned being called their first name and then last initial since their first name was so popular and I dealt with that too. I personally hated it but it is what it is. I always say I won’t name my kid a popular name for that reason but I do love some really popular names so who knows lol

I would not name a child my name. Now it’s too outdated. But I think some variations are in style like [name_u]Asher[/name_u] for a boy. I think [name_u]Ash[/name_u] could be a cool name for either gender.

1 Like

Very nice name! Just a personal question: Do you go by Ash ever? Not that I’d call you that it’s just one of my favorite nicknames. - Daisy

Yes, I go by [name_u]Ash[/name_u] a lot! Most of my friends and family call me [name_u]Ash[/name_u]! I love it.

2 Likes

I’ve always hated my name! I’ve never felt like it suited me in the slightest. That’s always really bothered me, like there’s a very big disconnect with my name being associated with me. I also never liked how popular it was. I definitely was always one of many in school, and I cant even count how many I’ve known. [name_f]My[/name_f] teachers used to call me [name_u]Ash[/name_u] or by my last name, both of which I prefer! I actually go by [name_u]Ash[/name_u] exclusively now. Well, as much as I can at least. [name_f]My[/name_f] family members still call me by my full first name, but I always use [name_u]Ash[/name_u] online and with friends, and I always introduce myself as [name_u]Ash[/name_u] to new people. [name_f]My[/name_f] full first name usually makes me cringe to be called it. I’ve thought about changing my name to something else entirely, but figured it’d be too much of a hassle, and I’ve never found a name that I felt did suit me enough to go through with it. So for now, I guess [name_u]Ash[/name_u] will just have to do! theres only one thing that I like about my name, and it’s that I was named after a horror movie character that I love. Which is why I always try to have a character association with the names on my list! :sweat_smile:

to answer your other question, I never would’ve used my full name on a child, whether they were born now or in the era I was. I really don’t like it. However, I would’ve used [name_u]Ash[/name_u] on a boy or if I went the gender neutral route. I’ve always thought it was a cool name for other people, again, just wish it felt like it suited me more!

as for my middle name, I hate it even more than my first, and would 110% never consider it for a child. It’s a very popular 90s name, and is just definitely not my style.

(ps hopefully this made sense, I have a migraine right now :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

My name is Megan. I think it is a lovely name, but I wouldn’t personally use it.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is okay… it’s just the name every third 2000s girl has. I have another classmate named that and it’s kind of annoying, but not too bad. I like that my name has a minimalistic sound and spelling, and I like having an uncommon initial (not A or M, for example) but overall nothing too fascinating about it.

1 Like

I actually really love my name!

It’s getting more popular for younger kids but for my age it’s pretty uncommon. I see sometimes people saying it’s not gonna age well but honestly I don’t mind that on me, and I like subverting expectations with my name, it’s kind of the same thing as when you see a small child with a super vintage name, but opposite. [name_f]My[/name_f] name usually gets different comments but usually the vibe people get are very earthy, boho, those kind of vibes, and I am… very much not that :sweat_smile: But I love the feeling I get from it, how it’s unisex, feels very sleek, how it’s multicultural (my family is Puerto Rican so it’s important that names can be pronounced in Spanish) it just feels very me. I would definitely name a child my name if it weren’t mine, more likely a boy than a girl just cause it suits my boy name style more. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is a different story, my middle name is [name_f]Rya[/name_f] (rye-uh), I don’t mind it, I think it has a pretty sound, but if I got the choice I’d change my middle to [name_u]Omari[/name_u] in honor of my parents (my parents are [name_m]Omar[/name_m] and [name_f]Aime[/name_f], my mom liked it for me but my dad wasn’t a fan), and also just the fact that I love the name and I fell it’d suit me

1 Like

I’m [name_u]Jack[/name_u]. It’s not just my NB name, it’s me IRL too.

It’s not a birth name or my legal name, but it is a nickname for my legal name (which is not [name_u]John[/name_u] or Jackson) which I also chose.

I love it, but that’s likely implied because I named myself lol. So, I’ll talk about my birth name.

I won’t share what it was, as I’m not comfortable doing so (so please don’t ask) but it got misspelled and mispronounced ALL THE TIME and it drove me crazy. (It wasn’t even a particularly unheard-of name and it was spelled phonetically with the most common spelling, so that bothered me even more). That isn’t why I changed it, but it did mean when I did change my name, I wanted something I felt that there was a very low likelihood of people “messing up.”

[name_f]My[/name_f] birth name also didn’t lend itself to a nickname, and anytime people tried to give me one, I usually didn’t like it (unless it was 100% unrelated).

I knew I wanted to change my name from about midway through college, but I wasn’t sure to what, and actually used a different name with friends for a couple years before deciding it also wasn’t me.

To be clear, I didn’t hate my birth name. It’s a great name! It even comes up on here sometimes (not very often and never in relation to me, just in the occasional list) and I think that’s super cool.

The name just didn’t suit me for many reasons and I decided that I needed to change it.

So, after experimenting with names for a while and giving myself the grace to change my mind as many times as I wanted, I finally settled on [name_u]Jack[/name_u]. (Which is short for something else a few people on here know but I don’t mention it often).

It always makes me happy when people use any form of my name now, and it’s been legally mine for over a year. Everyone in my life uses it— parents, friends, work. I sometimes even forget that I had a birth name at all!

And yes, I’d name a child [name_u]Jack[/name_u] (if it wasn’t my name, I personally don’t want a [name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. in my future). I think it would suit a kid of mine very well.

3 Likes

Hmm, I have an extremely unique name that’s gotten trendy lately. I don’t like it anymore as the sounds are unfeminine and obtrusive to me. I used to be proud of the contrast of sounds in my name, but I read some disparaging comments online that horrified and humiliated me, so I began recoiling and cringing whenever I heard my name. I even went by a different name temporarily, but quickly returned to my birth name because my mom was so upset and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

In my personal situation, I’ve accepted that I don’t have to love my name to know it’s right for me and my future. I’ve accepted its thorny beauty.

1 Like

I love my name. I was the only [name_f]Lily[/name_f] at school growing up so I never had to use my last initial. I didn’t love that people always told me it was an “old lady name” but as it grew in popularity I heard that less and less. I wish it weren’t quite so popular now, but it’s not the end of the world.

The spelling issue is the biggest con for me. I really hate the look of [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] and I get that all the time.

On the positive side, I’ve always loved having a word name. It feels like a secret surprise to be reading a passage and unexpectedly stumble on my name. I was also obsessed with flower fairies as a child so [name_f]Lily[/name_f] fit that well :relaxed:

I don’t know that I would name a child [name_f]Lily[/name_f] because it’s a bit popular for my taste and I tend to prefer names with more consonants that are a little more grounded. But [name_f]Lily[/name_f] has informed what I look for in a girl’s name: short, sweet, word names with history.

4 Likes

I really can’t remember having any strong feelings about my name when I was little, but now I love it! It’s rising in popularity recently, but I’ve still only met a handful of people with my name (most of them younger than me). Sometimes people tell me my name was their grandma’s name or something, and I always love hearing those comments. I like having a kind-of “old lady” name!

I don’t know if I would use my real on a child, just because it’s getting more and more popular every year, but maybe as a middle! I love my name, but I also think I was born at the perfect time to be named it, if that makes sense.

I’ve never thought about it like that, I love it!

2 Likes

I didn’t like the name [name_f]Emily[/name_f] growing up, I was always confused with being [name_f]Emma[/name_f], or having to be called [name_f]Emily[/name_f] last initial, and it doesn’t help that I identify as agender. And I would always be embarrassed every time someone calls out for a different [name_f]Emily[/name_f], but I was thinking it was for me. And would name my daughter this? A varient, maybe; [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but most likely not, since I tend to go for short classic names for the most part(ofc with some outliers).

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. It’s okay but kind of boring to be honest