Your predictions for England & Wales 2020?

The new E&W data is due out on [name_f]Monday[/name_f] :tada:

Keep your eyes peeled for our blog post summarising the new stats, but I thought it would be fun to share some predictions before then!

So, any predictions for…

1. Top 10 for boys and girls?

2. Biggest risers and fallers?

3. [name_u]New[/name_u] entrants to the Top 100?

[name_u]Or[/name_u] anything else you fancy forecasting!

8 Likes

Here are some I think will have risen, based on birth announcements I’ve been hearing lately…

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] :sob:
Theo(dore)
[name_m]Raffy[/name_m] + longer forms

3 Likes

Good idea! Although Lily/Lilly/Lillie have been hugely popular here for years. But maybe we’ll see some longer forms for nickname [name_f]Lili[/name_f] rising.

I’ve also been thinking about [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], post Bridgerton

Ooh exciting!!

I agree [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Indie[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] going up the rankings!!

I’m wondering if [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] will move up too?

1 Like
  1. Boys: Muhammad, Arthur, Oliver, Noah, Jack, Leo, Charlie, George, Oscar, and Theodore.
    Girls: Olivia, Sophia, Freya, Lily, Amelia, Isla, Isabella, Mia, Grace, and Ava.
  2. I suspect Polly, Ophelia, Delilah, Genevieve, and Nancy will climb the charts. Maybe with the Scarlet Witch, Scarlett may grow in popularity. I think in maybe two years, Diana might climb exponentially too. Diana has a lot more weight to it in the UK than in the US, but it’s seeing new life today. Juliet and Anna may see a boost too. Biggest falls for girls might be Darcie and Robyn. For boys, I’m guessing names like Wolf, Luca, Gabriel, and River will continue skyrocketing and American-inspired names like Hudson and Grayson will fall dramatically.
  3. New entrant to the top 100 for girls I’m guessing will be Beatrix and new entrant for top 100 boys will be Evan.
1 Like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] , [name_u]Romy[/name_u] , [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] , [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] , [name_f]Esme[/name_f] , [name_f]Freya[/name_f] , [name_f]Iris[/name_f] , [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] , [name_f]Nora[/name_f] , [name_f]Cora[/name_f] , [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] , [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] , [name_u]Nova[/name_u], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] , [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] , [name_u]Leo[/name_u] , [name_u]Theo[/name_u] , [name_u]Milo[/name_u] , [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] , [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] , [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] , [name_u]Finn[/name_u] , [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] , [name_u]Kai[/name_u]

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] :chart_with_upwards_trend:
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] :chart_with_downwards_trend:

1 Like

Great predictions! I can see [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] rising rapidly too.

1 Like

I’m just hoping that Freya starts falling! I love her but she’s way too popular.

However, I’m predicting that Freya will stay in the top 10.

1 Like

I agree on [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. It’s definitely a popular one where I am. I’ve noticed an uptick in the [name_f]Freja[/name_f] and [name_f]Freyja[/name_f] spellings too.

2 Likes

I definitely think [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] has cracked the top 100 this year, and potentially [name_f]Edie[/name_f]?

I can see [name_f]Darcie[/name_f] or [name_f]Summer[/name_f] falling out for girls, and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] or [name_u]Liam[/name_u] maybe for boys?

I also imagine [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is now top 10!

for fast risers elsewhere, I feel like [name_f]Effie[/name_f] could have potential? :thinking:

2 Likes

Maybe Lyra will enter the top 100 (or at least rise from the 150 spot) as Ed Sheeran is now a dad to Lyra? I might come back with a few more ideas later…!

1 Like

I think both [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] are set to rise significantly, yes!

1 Like

Agree with a lot of what’s been already said, especially [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] moving up

I’m not very good at predictions but it’s fun to speculate, so… Girls going up - [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], a rise in unisex names like [name_u]Billie[/name_u]

For boys, I think [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] might go up to the 2nd spot or even finally knock [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] off the top spot… Other potential risers - [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] / [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] / [name_m]Fred[/name_m] / [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_u]Loki[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_u]Archer[/name_u], [name_u]Percy[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] is going up the charts for sure, because of [name_u]Prince[/name_u] Harry’s daughter

Possibly! I think with this one being such a specific name – super rare, barely heard of before this, and with a clear and almost exclusive link to the Queen, people might shy away from actually using it for their daughters for fear of being seen to have just “copied” H&M, especially given all the controversy surrounding the royal family at the moment. But I could be wrong! I certainly think it shows that Lily names are likely going nowhere for some time yet! It’s easily the most common name I hear for little girls around here (maybe joint with Isla/Ayla/Eila).

1 Like

Not until the 2021 lists get released next year though.

2 Likes

Names I can see making top 100: [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] (so many friends have added [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] to their lists over the last 18 months), [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Myles[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Surely [name_f]Ava[/name_f] needs to start falling soon (and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] / [name_f]Eva[/name_f] keep rising to take her place)? And Olivia/Oliver? I’ve taught at least one (normally two or three) [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] every year I’ve been a teacher and there’s still more coming up through the school :joy:

1 Like

The data is in!!

2 Likes

I hope someone does a ‘fastest rising names beyond the top 100’ blog! So interested to see what’s jumped up hundreds of places in the new data. I can see [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], for example, has made a decent jump up the rankings.

2 Likes
  1. All the usual top 10 names. Including the ever so popular Oliver and Olivia.

Risers
Aurelia
Aurora
Ophelia
Margot
Adelaide
Charlotte

Fallers
Elizabeth
Ella
Grace/Gracie
Isabelle